Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds a bit daft to say but I'm not sure the striker we sign needs to come with assurances of high numbers of goals. We have goal scorers all over the pitch now but what we don't have is a focal point. We haven't always needed that but sometimes our performances cry out for it. I don't care if it's not Stockton, I understand the sceptical view on him completely but I'd like someone in that mould.

Is Stockton even a good focal point?
Admittedly, I've only ever seen him play against us, but my understanding was that he was a poacher and not much else. Great if you get him the ball in front of goal, but otherwise limited in his contribution. People can correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's true - I'm not sure he's the player we necessarily need when we already have Matty T. Not sure I can see them working together, or offering anything different from each other; you would just have one of them on the bench and switch them. Which doesn't seem to me like the optimum use of $500k.

I agree with your first sentence, in that what we really could do with is a Ryan Taylor-type. Physical presence who can act as that focal point for the attack, hold the ball up and bring our outstanding wingers into the game, and if needs be play alongside Taylor (Baldock can obviously do this too, if he ever gets fit again). If we're going young/loan, then this Kion Etete fellow from Tottenham sounds like he might fit the bill.
Failing that, I'd like an absolute speed merchant to bring on and scare opposition defenses.

Admittedly, I've only ever seen him play against us, but my understanding was that he was a poacher and not much else. Great if you get him the ball in front of goal, but otherwise limited in his contribution. People can correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's true - I'm not sure he's the player we necessarily need when we already have Matty T. Not sure I can see them working together, or offering anything different from each other; you would just have one of them on the bench and switch them. Which doesn't seem to me like the optimum use of $500k.

I agree with your first sentence, in that what we really could do with is a Ryan Taylor-type. Physical presence who can act as that focal point for the attack, hold the ball up and bring our outstanding wingers into the game, and if needs be play alongside Taylor (Baldock can obviously do this too, if he ever gets fit again). If we're going young/loan, then this Kion Etete fellow from Tottenham sounds like he might fit the bill.
Failing that, I'd like an absolute speed merchant to bring on and scare opposition defenses.

The one thing defenders hate = After burners.

He had a great year last season and scored some high quality goals. His age and lack of being a proven goalscorer at this level means I cannot justify paying £500k especially if he may play second fiddle to Taylor and even behind a fit Baldock in a 2-man strikeforce. What we don't want is another ageing crock like Winnall or someone like Ageyi or Obika who offered very little threat even off the bench.

Definitely need a young and powerful striker and someone else who's proven but not likely to be crippled or unfit for the duration of their stay. Two strikers will really given us that crucial bit of depth and options.

He’s definitely more than just a poacher, most of his goals are from outside the area and he drops very deep to get on the ball.

He might be a bit of a trap, not sure you want a striker who shoots from anywhere when you have our quality out wide

Here's my stab at where we are at the moment in terms of registered players and squad depth:

1659111679206.png

It assumes 36 year old Mousinho isn't going to be registered again, and that Davis will be (which I think could change quite easily).

So, first things first, we need more in defence. I'm happy to have players that can cover multiple positions (Brown, Long) but as soon as we have one injury/suspension we are chopping and changing the whole thing again. UTO mentioned a right back is on the way, which would be perfect. I'd like another LB as well, then I'd be happy with what we have there and Brown and Long can cover centrally and out wide without us finding ourselves in a position where we've got right wingers at left back.

That would take us to 20 in the squad, with 2 places remaining. Makes sense to me that those 2 options should be a CM (we're definitely short for cover there, especially as it's unclear what sort of option Davis really is), then finally a striker who we can rely upon to play as many minutes as Taylor (and ideally a different sort of player). I think we need to view Baldock as someone we'll be lucky to get 20 games a season from.

The 4 registered wingers should be able to to cover both sides, but Wildschut is already injured and Jones is a known risk, so the young lad from Palace would be a great loan option, particularly because he wouldn't add to the squad cap. I'd be quite happy to see Goodrhm start in Pizza games and off the bench for 15 / 20 minutes when we're cruising and seeing a game out (which I expect we will be against bottom of the table sorts).

Not that it makes a difference for squad caps but I expect Stevens will go out somewhere on loan, maybe on a permanent. Eastwood is happy to be a backup but I don't think Stevens is, and McGinty is here to play.

Not that it makes a difference for squad caps but I expect Stevens will go out somewhere on loan, maybe on a permanent. Eastwood is happy to be a backup but I don't think Stevens is, and McGinty is here to play.

I think it does make a difference to squad caps, I keep hearing that any more than 2 keepers and they're included?

Right back, Striker, Centre Mid/Defensive Mid, Left Back, Winger. In that order of priority. If the RB and ST are the building in the next 5-10 days (which sounds possible based on ITK murmurings) I'll be very happy. The others can wait as long as it takes to get the best possible player in.

Been anywhere nice?

If I was away on holiday this is the last place I’d be looking. I’d be busy enjoying my time off, rather than constantly post on here like some sad sods do.
it was a self imposed exile as I couldn’t take the negativity of some. It was draining!

Jamaica in October so still have my holiday to look forward to.

I hate to quote the knobhead, but Ainsworth was actually making some reasonably intelligent comments about the transfer window yesterday:

“At this time of year, everyone starts to panic because other teams are signing players. Ipswich last season signed so many players and they didn’t start at all. They didn’t start well at all and signing loads of players doesn’t mean you’re going to smash the league. Come this weekend, teams will be picked, players will be disgruntled and they’ll call their agents and say that ‘I’m not in his plans, get me out of here,’ agents get in and say ‘here is a club that has waited patiently and have not spent all their money’ but at the same time, it’s like playing poker. Do you show your hand? Do you not show your hand? There’s patience and belief in what we do and there is still a whole month of the window left".

That being said, I don't think Wycombe have signed a senior keeper yet, and look like going into tomorrow with just a couple of untested kids between the sticks.
Maybe we can swap them one of ours for McCleary??

This is bound to be an appearance related contract so little risk. Quality when fit and when fit a cut above league 1
Not true, it is still a risk. He has to be registered so takes a spot in the squad and planning.

Am I right In thinking we have 20 of the 22 squad cap ?

Thanks @UTO. Are we still considering Jerome Sinclair or moved on from that? It's gone a bit quiet there.
I believe, at most he would get a short term contract if we miss out on other targets, later in the window.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we get close to getting a striker in that we’ll tell him we’re not interested.
Then hopefully Baldock will be back by the end of September to.

I hate to quote the knobhead, but Ainsworth was actually making some reasonably intelligent comments about the transfer window yesterday:

“At this time of year, everyone starts to panic because other teams are signing players. Ipswich last season signed so many players and they didn’t start at all. They didn’t start well at all and signing loads of players doesn’t mean you’re going to smash the league. Come this weekend, teams will be picked, players will be disgruntled and they’ll call their agents and say that ‘I’m not in his plans, get me out of here,’ agents get in and say ‘here is a club that has waited patiently and have not spent all their money’ but at the same time, it’s like playing poker. Do you show your hand? Do you not show your hand? There’s patience and belief in what we do and there is still a whole month of the window left".

That being said, I don't think Wycombe have signed a senior keeper yet, and look like going into tomorrow with just a couple of untested kids between the sticks.
Maybe we can swap them one of ours for McCleary??
They are reasonable and considered comments but to some extent he is also playing to the gallery. There is some murmuring discontent that they haven’t signed anyone apart from non-league development players.

As you say, no replacement keeper and a negotiation with Alfie Mawson, who has a dodgy knee and wants a Championship payday. Hopefully they will drop back to their natural level.

As for McLeary, the consensus is that he had his last good day against us, secured a nice contract extension and then signed off!

Hi UTO, Noticed that the official Derby match review said Baldock and Wildschut would be out for 2 months. Has Wildschuts hamstring injury better that Xmas return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom