Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge the transfer window on September 1st. We have a massive budget to sign the 7 players needed minimum. (RB, LB, 2xCMs, 2xWingers, CF)

However if results in August (which on paper is very very favourable) with the current squad aren’t up to it then extra scrutiny towards KR is deserved.

Its not KR’s fault - and whilst the timing is dreadful it certainly isn’t Cam’s fault. It isn’t up to him to ‘decide if he wants to play for OUFC or not’ either. Not that such a decision exists - but he decided that in January when he was the epitome of professionalism by ignoring the Blackpool rumours (when he could’ve sulked, forced the move and potentially caused us to sell below the release clause just to get a sulking player away from the squad). Like others I don’t think Blackpool is necessarily the right move for him - but he more than deserves Championship football and the inevitable, substantial rise in wages he will receive.

BUT there is clearly something wrong here. Appreciate the window closes at the end of August - but there are 18 points to play for before that point. And given how the fixtures have panned out (with some arguably more favourable fixtures in August) you could make a case for saying it’s even more important to get up and running quickly. A sluggish start this year, followed by some really tough games from mid-Sept through to end of October, could arguably leave us miles behind the promotion race before we’ve even started getting a rhythm or our best side on the pitch. It isn’t season over right now…but it already feels like the lottery of the playoffs is the absolute best case scenario for our season. And that’s not a complaint. I’d much rather this than our years in the Conference. But it is the opposite of the ambition the club repeatedly states it has.

Sykes, McNally, Kane, Holland, Brannagan, Whyte were all regular contributors to the first team that finished last season - and have all come out of a squad which ultimately wasn’t good enough last year therefore needed strengthening. If/when Forde goes his ability and quality as a utility player will be sorely missed too. Clearly the returns of Browne, Gorrin & Henry soften the blow, but all are going to have to be managed. Findlay & Murphy are good recruits. Wildschut signed admittedly a little lacking in fitness and is now out for some time. Baldock’s injury means we only have one fit striker. That lack of squad depth is desperate.

Derby isn’t the be all and end all (I’d bite your hand off for a point now). And the club are not to blame for the dreadful, hideous timing of the CamBran deal (if it goes through). But someone HAS to be culpable for entering our first matches of the season with such an utterly threadbare squad - which is not only weaker than last season in terms of personnel but also fails to address any of the major shortcomings (full backs, defensive squad depth, some grizzly power and fight in central midfield etc). A loss at Derby isn’t critical, and it isn’t ‘season over’ by selling Cam. But we need MULTIPLE, fit, first team improving additions very quickly in the next week if we are to avoid a disastrous August which then would be season-defining. And given how sluggish our recruitment has been thus far…that makes me nervous

Christ, unless we have an immediate replacement lined up our midfield on Saturday is going to be wafer thin.
Suddenly not looking forward to the game quite as much….
We are talking about the Oxford recruitment team remember.

Judge the transfer window on September 1st. We have a massive budget to sign the 7 players needed minimum. (RB, LB, 2xCMs, 2xWingers, CF)

However if results in August (which on paper is very very favourable) with the current squad aren’t up to it then extra scrutiny towards KR is deserved.
I don't see how this window can be judged as anything close to being good, as it stands. We start the season with a distinct lack of cover for some positions. We are now losing our mainstay in midfield. We are losing the "utility" player that is Forde. Our new signings consist of one injured winger, one injured striker, one winger who has had unknown issues and who may, or may not be in "a good place" now and able to perform. Our defensive midfielder is returning from a serious knee injury. Our one right back is still not 100%. We appear to have some uncertainties with our goalkeepers but, have signed a "talent" from Ireland. We are looking to tie down a trialist who has had three serious injuries. We have another trialist who has barely played a full game in some time and, as a striker, does not appear to have had much success. We have signed Brown and, apparently he will be back up to the one good signing without problems, Findlay (albeit he has been playing very little and in the States) We have Browne back and fit, we believe. Hopefully, injury free.

This all sounds very pessimistic, granted but, is it not acceptable to think that things could, should have been better? Is it not time for there to be a better, more efficient direction within the club? Would a director of football or similar position not be of help to KR in getting things done?

Not read about the last 20 pages. But guessing it’s all about Brannagan.
We’ve had a very good contract offer on the table for him for a while. He’s had no interest in signing it. So receiving over 1million with 11 months left on his contract isn’t a bad deal when he was always going to leave.
As soon as the offer was submitted, Cam told the club he wanted to go. It’s the first offer we’ve received this summer and the first time Blackpool have triggered the release clause. Can’t blame him, but he’s not turned down any moves to stay with us the past couple years.
The timing is shite for us. But we have a month to find a replacement or 2.

Another senior player has agreed to go, who isn’t much of a loss as he’ll be replaced within next week.

A lot of work to do. Our squads haven’t been as strong as the one we had going into the window we lost Cadden, Fosu and Baptiste 2.5 years ago! So hopefully we get the right players in now!
6 key signings needed.
Are we still on for 2 more this week in?

I would guess we will be paying premium prices now as well for new signings now the season has started. The best ooc players will have been picked up already. Teams would have built their squads up already for the season ahead. Premiership younster loans may be the best option to fill our rather large holes

I don't see how this window can be judged as anything close to being good, as it stands. We start the season with a distinct lack of cover for some positions. We are now losing our mainstay in midfield. We are losing the "utility" player that is Forde. Our new signings consist of one injured winger, one injured striker, one winger who has had unknown issues and who may, or may not be in "a good place" now and able to perform. Our defensive midfielder is returning from a serious knee injury. Our one right back is still not 100%. We appear to have some uncertainties with our goalkeepers but, have signed a "talent" from Ireland. We are looking to tie down a trialist who has had three serious injuries. We have another trialist who has barely played a full game in some time and, as a striker, does not appear to have had much success. We have signed Brown and, apparently he will be back up to the one good signing without problems, Findlay (albeit he has been playing very little and in the States) We have Browne back and fit, we believe. Hopefully, injury free.

This all sounds very pessimistic, granted but, is it not acceptable to think that things could, should have been better? Is it not time for there to be a better, more efficient direction within the club? Would a director of football or similar position not be of help to KR in getting things done?
When you spell it out like that, it's been a really, really s**t window so far for a "top 30" club hasn't it!

FFS!
The vultures were circling for Brannagan back in January, so it was pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain, that someone was gonna trigger his release clause this summer, so yes, the fact that the club did not have a solid contingency plan in place, such as a solid signing to come in to at least compete with him, and potentially replace him, should he leave, was very naive and amateurish.

Gorrin is only just returning from a major long term injury, Smyth is a complete unknown at this level, and McGuane is already playing out of position, covering the Gorrin role.

Even with Cam here, we were in need of midfield competition/cover, now 2 days before the season starts, we're desperate.
I think to someone with 'half a brain' this has come as a shock to all parties in truth. KR obviously wasn't expecting it this week at least, Cam certainly wasn't as he posted a picture on twitter and Instagram yesterday saying he is ready for the season in his oxford kit, i don't believe for a second he believed when he posted that that he was going anywhere.

Yes I think most of us probably guessed he would go but you don't go a blow your transfer budget to get a player who is as good as Cam before a bid is even made!

I think to someone with 'half a brain' this has come as a shock to all parties in truth. KR obviously wasn't expecting it this week at least, Cam certainly wasn't as he posted a picture on twitter and Instagram yesterday saying he is ready for the season in his oxford kit, i don't believe for a second he believed when he posted that that he was going anywhere.

Yes I think most of us probably guessed he would go but you don't go a blow your transfer budget to get a player who is as good as Cam before a bid is even made!
We already needed genuine cover/competition for Cam, regardless of weather or not he left, as our midfield options are extremely light, to the point we're considering Bodin and Henry (forwards/wide players) as options, even though they're both, in midfield terms, lightweight attacking midfielders at best, not the combative, tough tackling, box to box, all action midfielders that Brannagan is.

At least if we'd addressed this issue earlier in the window, we'd not be in such a desperate position now, 2 days before the start of the season, which was always a possibility, due to his release clause, and the obvious, well known and well documented interest from championship clubs months ago.

We already needed genuine cover/competition for Cam, regardless of weather or not he left, as our midfield options are extremely light, to the point we're considering Bodin and Henry (forwards/wide players) as options, even though they're both, in midfield terms, lightweight attacking midfielders at best, not the combative, tough tackling, box to box, all action midfielders that Brannagan is.

At least if we'd addressed this issue earlier in the window, we'd not be in such a desperate position now, 2 days before the start of the season, which was always a possibility, due to his release clause, and the obvious, well known and well documented interest from championship clubs months ago.
I agree we need competition in the area but finding a player with cam's ability would have taken a fair chunk of the budget, its massive risk when you still have 3/4 other positions that are desperate. Now Cam is gone we need to spend the money wisely in getting his replacement right. I am sure their will be players KR has in mind, he said in his interview that he had players in mind he just didnt want to do anything in the 48 before the first game and will look Sunday.

You never know his replacement might be here early next week......ever the optimist i am...

We’ve made £3m with two player sales. Then add Forde, that pretty good business at this level.

There’s plenty in the pot to bring in some real quality now. It’s up to KR how he spends it, and hopefully he can assemble a side worthy of challenging. It will be interesting to see what else develops, even though it’s been an awful window so far.
Good business, but the look at too far too late

Glad to see the normal sensible approach from some on here.

The clause was met, it's out of KR's control.

Players come and go, not sure what the figure is, but hopefully the club has benefited.

Move on, win or lose up the U's!
Apart from when you don’t like the t-shirts. 😉

There's no way to sugar coat it, losing Cam so close to the season opener is devastating. I genuinely thought we'd build a team around him and he'd stay to see us go up.

But the blame being thrown at the club is unwarranted. Cam was the best paid player at the club when he signed his extension and was offered a long term deal that would have again made him the best paid. We also looked out for him when his career may have been over following his eye injury. Cam has been the heart if the club and we have done everything we could to keep him.

He's gone (pending formal announcement) and will be missed. I wish him well and hope that he has an incredible career. At the right club (not sure that's Blackpool!) he could really make a name for himself and I wouldn't be surprised if he played in the PL one day.

It's now about who we look to replace him with. There will be players on our radar, and money to be spent. We need to regroup today, go to Derby with confidence and see what next week brings.
You did not tell us this was coming. 36 hrs to kick off. Surely you must have known?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom