Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I know that, but he's still a hypocrite. If you are happy to pick up players who run down their contracts for nothing, you can't bleat to the press when it happens to your own players.

The way I read the article, Pearson wants his club to stop offering new contracts to players and then leaving them on the table for a year whilst the player and their agent run their contract down. Instead wants the club to be tougher, and take contracts off the table and transfer list players when they don't sign.

Don't think he's complaining about other teams taking his players at all......

It’s patronising posts like this that proper f**k me off. This is Oxford United, not Karl Robinson FC.

No one ever said KR was a ‘useless fucker’.
They question in his ability to build a balanced squad able to achieve promotion. He’s yet to do that at Oxford due to this. I still don’t believe he will get us out of this league but would be delighted to be proved massively wrong.

Murphy & Wildschut are exciting attacking wingers. KR has proven in the past he can sign those type of players.

Findlay is a very good replacement for McNally. McNally will go to the very top.

But let’s not get carried away.

There are still major holes in our playing squad. We conceded 60 goals in League One last year.

I’m yet to see signings address that (right back, left back & holding midfielder) (Will McGinty be played over 2 average goalkeepers?) & there’s no excuses why this shouldn’t be addressed with a top 6 budget available.

It was Karl Robinson FC only 2 weeks ago when players hadn't signed!

It's amazing how the goal posts change after each signing. You talk about not addressing the defensive issues, but we have signed a top rate player in Findlay, Brown who was MOTM for half of the games he played towards the end of the season, and a highly rated goalkeeper in McGinty. We are also looking to bring in others at left back and right back and have a long term extension for Elliott Moore.

We were told that Gorrin was the reason why we didn't go up last year, but not only have we extended his contract but we've also managed his preseason to ensure that he's fit for the season without any set backs. On top of that we've seen Smyth and McGuane both play in the DCM role and look very good during preseason. We have more cover and more variable options in that position than ever before.

Wildschut, Murphy and Jones will be fantastic additions to the team, and that's with Browne and Bodin already here. Yes we're short upfront, but those who know are confident that we will bring others in, and recent history suggests that we'll be looking at real quality here too.

So what properly fucks me off is those like yourself who have posted over and over again to moan about lack of signings and putting the blame entirely at the feet of Robinson, but haven't the good grace to acknowledge the signings that have been made!

So maybe you should lighten up and get carried away, because if some of these signings don't excite you then maybe nothing ever will!

It's amazing how the goal posts change after each signing. You talk about not addressing the defensive issues, but we have signed a top rate player in Findlay, Brown who was MOTM for half of the games he played towards the end of the season, and a highly rated goalkeeper in McGinty. We are also looking to bring in others at left back and right back and have a long term extension for Elliott Moore.

We were told that Gorrin was the reason why we didn't go up last year, but not only have we extended his contract but we've also managed his preseason to ensure that he's fit for the season without any set backs. On top of that we've seen Smyth and McGuane both play in the DCM role and look very good during preseason. We have more cover and more variable options in that position than ever before.

I don't think the goalposts have moved at all. Many people (including myself) said at the start of the offseason that we needed to improve and get more depth at both full back positions and CDM, and have more balance across the squad, and we haven't done that yet.

In defense, in my book we only have five players right now (I still don't view Forde as a defender, and I don't think we can count Mousinho at this point in his career); that's the same number as last year and it cost us in the end. Taking account of injuries, suspensions, losses of form and nowadays presumably a bunch of Covid cases, I think it's madness to go into the season with fewer than seven senior defenders.

At CDM - there's no way that Gorrin is fit for the start of the season. He's played, what, 20 minutes in pre-season friendlies? Hopefully he'll be ready by September.
So at the moment our options are Smyth and McGuane, both of whom were available the second half of last season, but were viewed as inferior options to Herbie Kane - despite the fact that he clearly wasn't strong enough defensively to play the role effectively in games we weren't dominating.
If we don't bring in someone else there, then we are relying on McGuane turning into a defensive asset and/or Smyth growing up very quickly. Hopefully one will happen, but it's a big risk. And, from all reports about the level of funding available at the moment, an unnecessary one.

KR's signings so far this summer have been absolutely outstanding - but there's still more to do. Ideally RB, LB, CDM, ST + Jones.
Still a month to go, so no panic, but the task ahead should be clear.......if he gets it done, then big applause and much congratulation is due.
But if he doesn't, and he goes into the season with a massively unbalanced squad again (for the fourth year in a row) then there's going to be a ton of frustration.
We shall see.......

I don't think the goalposts have moved at all. Many people (including myself) said at the start of the offseason that we needed to improve and get more depth at both full back positions and CDM, and have more balance across the squad, and we haven't done that yet.

In defense, in my book we only have five players right now (I still don't view Forde as a defender, and I don't think we can count Mousinho at this point in his career); that's the same number as last year and it cost us in the end. Taking account of injuries, suspensions, losses of form and nowadays presumably a bunch of Covid cases, I think it's madness to go into the season with fewer than seven senior defenders.

At CDM - there's no way that Gorrin is fit for the start of the season. He's played, what, 20 minutes in pre-season friendlies? Hopefully he'll be ready by September.
So at the moment our options are Smyth and McGuane, both of whom were available the second half of last season, but were viewed as inferior options to Herbie Kane - despite the fact that he clearly wasn't strong enough defensively to play the role effectively in games we weren't dominating.
If we don't bring in someone else there, then we are relying on McGuane turning into a defensive asset and/or Smyth growing up very quickly. Hopefully one will happen, but it's a big risk. And, from all reports about the level of funding available at the moment, an unnecessary one.

KR's signings so far this summer have been absolutely outstanding - but there's still more to do. Ideally RB, LB, CDM, ST + Jones.
Still a month to go, so no panic, but the task ahead should be clear.......if he gets it done, then big applause and much congratulation is due.
But if he doesn't, and he goes into the season with a massively unbalanced squad again (for the fourth year in a row) then there's going to be a ton of frustration.
We shall see.......
Yes agree, lots of good work done but job not finished. No reason to believe there won’t be a couple more non-attackers though

It was Karl Robinson FC only 2 weeks ago when players hadn't signed!
Precisely this. All we’ve heard is how he’s at the forefront of everything we’re doing wrong and it’s boring, if I’m totally honest. He gets all the blame when it goes tits up and very little credit when it’s due. We lambast the structure but nothings changed and he’s now getting deals done so… good on him right? He hasn’t buried his head in the sand and he’s getting the job done now. It’s a shame actually and I often ask myself whether we as fans are over informed. Between the media exposure, fans forums and social media; fan bases now have so much detail on the intricacies of their clubs that they have endless ammunition to beat people with - and often it’s good people who work tirelessly to drive the club forward and I’ll say it… I’ve appreciated very few managers like I do KR. I think he’s rare in modern day football and I’ve said it before, he’s miles from perfect but there will come a day we miss him, I’m sure of it.

I see where this is heading already. Any part of the season where we’re outside the top 6 he’s going to be failing just because the budget is bigger than it’s ever been. I couldn’t give a toss what it is. There’s 12 teams in this league capable of promotion so we can have all the budget we want, it’s merely an advantage, not a red carpet to the Championship. Nobody is running off with League One this year and it’s a long, long season.

Maybe I’m too simplistic but I’m just delighted to see us pulling these players in and having a good go. As long as we keep aiming high, play an entertaining style (which I value as a football fan) and KR and the boys continue to give everything I’ll properly enjoy my season. May the best team win.

Got to say though, I wonder who in league one blinks first and picks the phone up to Mark Warburton? 😂

Have the full backs were trying to sign been mentioned on here at all UTO or are they young prem loans
The RB we’re after hasn’t. That’s the one we should have done in the next week hopefully. He definitely won’t be playing Saturday even if announced in time.
We like the Palace left back who sounds like he’s going on loan to The Championship.
Still after their winger, along with half a dozen clubs.
I still expect Jones to all be signed and completed. But then I thought that was going to be completed days ago!

So a RB, LB, Jones and possibly Palace Winger and a Striker
A couple of senior players will then be sent out on loan/sold
Missing out on Morton. McGuane has impressed in pre season. Gorrin obviously back fit but clearly needs minutes.
Wildschut and Baldock back for start and end of September

The RB we’re after hasn’t. That’s the one we should have done in the next week hopefully. He definitely won’t be playing Saturday even if announced in time.
We like the Palace left back who sounds like he’s going on loan to The Championship.
Still after their winger, along with half a dozen clubs.
I still expect Jones to all be signed and completed. But then I thought that was going to be completed days ago!

So a RB, LB, Jones and possibly Palace Winger and a Striker
A couple of senior players will then be sent out on loan/sold
Missing out on Morton. McGuane has impressed in pre season. Gorrin obviously back fit but clearly needs minutes.
Wildschut and Baldock back for start and end of September

So can we read from this that there is no longer a plan to sign another CM, let alone a CDM?

Think this would be a massive mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom