Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entirely possible we won't register one (or more likely one is leaving) I was looking at what we had in the club and where that leaves us. I would not be surprised if Stevens is picked up by a club higher up to be a development project/no.2 keeper (despite his poor season he's still highly thought of), and equally wouldn't be surprised if we've said in no uncertain terms to Easty that Stevens is No.1 and he's asked to leave for first team football, which he's more than capable of at a lower/mid table L1 level.

Easty was already serving as a backup to Stevens when he signed the multi-year deal, and he's since come back into the picture, so I don't see why he wouldn't continue to fight since regaining some form.

Would think Stevens moving on is more likely. If we did rebuff a decent Villa deal last summer, he then lost some form, and now a Championship club wants him as a development keeper, we might not say no this time.

He had the same amount of G/A last season as he did when he left the first time.
I supposed the question could be asked, has he really kicked on/developed then? I wouldn't say no to him coming back just not if it means paying over the odds in transfer fee/wages/ signing on fee.

There’s always plenty of players on our radar, but obviously not all of them we make proper moves for.
Players like Luongo and the Rotherham centre back we move on from straight away.
Luongo wage demands are way beyond what we would pay. The Rotherham defender was being spoke to by Sheffield Wednesday straight away and had no interest in joining us or moving down South.
This window was the furthest we have been to signing Cadden in past 2 years!!
Robbo didn’t know what was going to be his preferred formation for a while!! So it was pointless signing Cadden if we were playing 4 at the back and our LB options were Seddon and Cadden! But we did talk to the lad and made an offer.
We wanted Greg Leigh, but we can’t match what Ipswich offer players!
We were/are interested in taking Whyte on a permanent deal. He’s available. But would need to take a 40% wage cut. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a deal that happens towards the end of August.
We offered Holland a deal. More money than he’s getting at MK, but he wasn’t entirely happy with the amount of games he didn’t play last season. He feels he’ll get more game time at MK. That’s fair enough.

Loan players is hard to know if close to getting. They all start training with their clubs and all go on the tours. We have spoke to Palace about the LB and Winger. Sounds like Coventry want the LB. If he’s going to get games at a level above, they’re obviously going to send him there.
We did speak to Liverpool about Morton before their tour. His performances may mean they want him around longer or a Championship club comes in.

We enquired about Findlay at the start of the summer. We was quoted more than we were prepared to pay. Once McNally was going we went back and Findlay said he wanted to leave. I believe it’s around 200k. We were quoted about double that couple months ago! He’s in the UK today. Everything’s agreed, bar putting ink on the contract.
I think we could have 4 in this week. I didn’t know about the keeper tbh. But sounds like he’s done.
Jones is all agreed and we’re close to another winger from Europe.
Thanks for such a detailed post.

There’s always plenty of players on our radar, but obviously not all of them we make proper moves for.
Players like Luongo and the Rotherham centre back we move on from straight away.
Luongo wage demands are way beyond what we would pay. The Rotherham defender was being spoke to by Sheffield Wednesday straight away and had no interest in joining us or moving down South.
Robbo didn’t know what was going to be his preferred formation for a while!! So it was pointless signing Cadden if we were playing 4 at the back and our LB options were Seddon and Cadden! But we did talk to the lad and made an offer.
We were/are interested in taking Whyte on a permanent deal. He’s available. But would need to take a 40% wage cut. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a deal that happens towards the end of August.
We offered Holland a deal. More money than he’s getting at MK, but he wasn’t entirely happy with the amount of games he didn’t play last season. He feels he’ll get more game time at MK. That’s fair enough.

Loan players is hard to know if close to getting. They all start training with their clubs and all go on the tours. We have spoke to Palace about the LB and Winger. Sounds like Coventry want the LB. If he’s going to get games at a level above, they’re obviously going to send him there.
We did speak to Liverpool about Morton before their tour. His performances may mean they want him around longer or a Championship club comes in.

We enquired about Findlay at the start of the summer. We was quoted more than we were prepared to pay. Once McNally was going we went back and Findlay said he wanted to leave. I believe it’s around 200k. We were quoted about double that couple months ago! He’s in the UK today. Everything’s agreed, bar putting ink on the contract.
I think we could have 4 in this week. I didn’t know about the keeper tbh. But sounds like he’s done.
My current feeling based on this summary is that it's going to be a long old season for us.

I supposed the question could be asked, has he really kicked on/developed then? I wouldn't say no to him coming back just not if it means paying over the odds in transfer fee/wages/ signing on fee.
The thing you find with clubs higher up is that they train players into a system. Whyte was renowned for his blistering pace here, but he clearly had it coached out of him at Cardiff. Saying that, he was a damn sight better with the ball than the first time he was here, notably Charlton away where he played in the 10 role and was fantastic. If he can get the blinkers on, head down and causing havoc then we've got an amazing player on our hands once again. He's a no brainer signing for me.

I assume my expectations are through the roof here but...with so many of our targets being out of our wage structure...do we do any preparatory work at all on our targets?
They just look through the squad lists on Football manager, find someone they like the look of and then call the reception at the relevant club before offering a packet of wotzits and a kinder Bueno for the player.

He had the same amount of G/A last season as he did when he left the first time.

I think the point is that he shouldn't get a massive lump sum for signing for us just because he happens to have a massive wage at Cardiff.

If we've got massive lump sums burning a hole in our pockets I'd rather use it to lure other new players where the competition for their signature is fierce - or even incentivise/new contracts for our best players.

It's not our fault Cardiff pay him mega bucks. If he wants to run down his contract there - fair play. Alternatively let's see who else wants to stump up those wages/pay lump sum signing-on fees for him - good luck to him.

Wouldn't be a good look to our other players if we not only make Gavin Whyte among our highest earners but also give him the largest signing-on fee we've ever done just because the guy has been creaming it at Cardiff.

NB All this talk of 'massive lump sums in our pockets' in a post about Gavin Whyte - I can assure you it's coincidental.

They just look through the squad lists on Football manager, find someone they like the look of and then call the reception at the relevant club before offering a packet of wotzits and a kinder Bueno for the player.

I know you were being facetious, but the Football Manager database is actually utilised by a number of clubs because it’s the largest global database in existence of its kind. The database (backend, I.e. what the public doesn’t see) is typically only ever a month or so (max) out of sync with real life events. Whilst sits not always ‘accurate’, it’s pretty close and regularly scrutinised for inaccuracies.

OUFC used to use a lesser known database/online scouting company to do scouting with data populated by the company in question. In summary, it was very s**t and not even close to what FM have achieved with its level of attention to detail.

Scouting is a little more sophisticated these days, however FM is (believe it or not) is commonly used as a means to check out contract expirations, data on players and used as commentary for player development or regression.

If the new goalie is signed I for one will be well happy.
Yes it will be a surprise too many as we had perceived cover. However this was hiding a massive issue with the team, which needed addressing
A bonus point for KR.

The thing you find with clubs higher up is that they train players into a system. Whyte was renowned for his blistering pace here, but he clearly had it coached out of him at Cardiff. Saying that, he was a damn sight better with the ball than the first time he was here, notably Charlton away where he played in the 10 role and was fantastic. If he can get the blinkers on, head down and causing havoc then we've got an amazing player on our hands once again. He's a no brainer signing for me.
Don't disagree with much of this, just don't think we should be breaking the bank for him. Would like him to get his head up rather than down though!

With the GBE requirements the player will have to hold an English passport. If not, will have to meet the 15 point requirement to qualify for a transfer - this is based on quality of the league, minutes played within the league, international appearances etc.

For example, from one club, Fortuna Sittard - George Cox would qualify as he has an English passport. Tijjani Noslin would gain 10 points for the strength of the Eredivise but would fall short of the 15 required as he only played 27% of available domestic miutes.

The above is obviously not an issue for top clubs and the players they are after, however it is responsible for a drop in Ligue 2 players joining the EFL, for example.

To add: those with English, Scottish, Irish passports that played as wingers in Holland last season:

View attachment 9420
George Cox seems to play LB/LWB and Left Midfield. Could be one to keep an eye on..?

Thank you UTO, really good insight as to what actually happens
It all makes more sense now, especially if we are interested in the same players as Ipswich, Barnsley, SW, Derby and others. We may have a bigger budget but not that big, seems like KR not knowing the formation he wanted before he went away is worrying
We all knew an offer would come in for Mc Nally and indeed Cameron Brannagan so let’s see what happens from here

So after a bit of digging into the Dutch leagues to find wingers that match up to the info given by @UTO and @Shosho - I've only really found one player that fits the bill. Leon Maloney: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leon-maloney/profil/spieler/638664

Came through the academy at Pompey but career so far doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. The only other guy I could find that might fit the bill was a certain Dan Crowley.

So by my extensive research of 20 minutes on my lunch break to try and distract from the heat of my office, I have deduced we are either signing a winger who played most of last season in the Dutch 3rd tier last season for FC Volendam's U21 side and has 5 PJT Trophy appearances for Pompey to his name, or we are resigning a player who we sent packing back to Arsenal early because of non footballing reasons. There were a couple of full backs too, maybe we're going to do a reverse KR and turn a full back into a winger for once?

Either that or the heat has got to me and I've completely misunderstood who we're trying to sign and where we're trying to sign them from.

No idea on the Netherlands based player.

But if we assume they're English/Northern Irish/Scottish/Welsh (just for ease of post Brexit regulations) and have played on the wing, then you can quickly narrow down to:

- George Cox of Fortuna Sittard
- Darius Johnson previously of FC Volendam
- Derry John Murkin of FC Volendam
- Leon Maloney of FC Volendam
- Dan Crowley of Willem II (shudder)

If there's a way of a non UK player meeting the points criteria, then someone else can continue the research as I'm now very hot and need a lie down.

So after a bit of digging into the Dutch leagues to find wingers that match up to the info given by @UTO and @Shosho - I've only really found one player that fits the bill. Leon Maloney: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leon-maloney/profil/spieler/638664

Came through the academy at Pompey but career so far doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. The only other guy I could find that might fit the bill was a certain Dan Crowley.

So by my extensive research of 20 minutes on my lunch break to try and distract from the heat of my office, I have deduced we are either signing a winger who played most of last season in the Dutch 3rd tier last season for FC Volendam's U21 side and has 5 PJT Trophy appearances for Pompey to his name, or we are resigning a player who we sent packing back to Arsenal early because of non footballing reasons. There were a couple of full backs too, maybe we're going to do a reverse KR and turn a full back into a winger for once?

Either that or the heat has got to me and I've completely misunderstood who we're trying to sign and where we're trying to sign them from.
Didn't @Shosho suggest that an oversees player would qualify through the strength of the Eredivise, but needed to have made a certain amount of appearances?

I think the point is that he shouldn't get a massive lump sum for signing for us just because he happens to have a massive wage at Cardiff.

If we've got massive lump sums burning a hole in our pockets I'd rather use it to lure other new players where the competition for their signature is fierce - or even incentivise/new contracts for our best players.

It's not our fault Cardiff pay him mega bucks. If he wants to run down his contract there - fair play. Alternatively let's see who else wants to stump up those wages/pay lump sum signing-on fees for him - good luck to him.

Wouldn't be a good look to our other players if we not only make Gavin Whyte among our highest earners but also give him the largest signing-on fee we've ever done just because the guy has been creaming it at Cardiff.

NB All this talk of 'massive lump sums in our pockets' in a post about Gavin Whyte - I can assure you it's coincidental.
Wonder if we could loan him with a view to buy in the new year. I think he has one year left on his contract so will definitely be on the move for less money in a years time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom