Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
With next season starting early due to the World Cup, there is less time to sign players in time for the first kick-off this summer. Those clubs with a large player output have an awful lot to do before the end of July. Perhaps keeping players like Henry, Forde, Gorrin etc is a decent bit of insurance . If the agents of our top targets do their usual and prolong their players signing until the last few days of the window that could have been some smart business.

The key for me is the new signings as Brahma mentioned. Another centreback to add some real cover \ competition (I hope that the club lets Mous moves on to management and not try to have him registered as a player). A left and right back or wingbacks to add to or replace Long and Seddon. Plus cover for Gorrin (or as mentioned is that Smyth if not we need cover here). Then we already have a very good squad.

Karl needs to play a team with a defensive midfielder next season in more games. Over the last few seasons we have proved we ship less goals when we have one. If we defended better last season we would have made the playoffs at least. Our attack is very strong (I think Kane and or Bodin only add to this, not too fussed about Holland). I would like to see us loan a young pacy striker \ winger who we could throw on to add another dimension but that's not a must have.

Overall so far we are in a good place. We have kept all of our best players (I do think Moore is one of them) from a team that scored loads of goals last season and challenged for a play off place for most of it. We just now need to make 4 or 5 good signings mostly of a defensive nature and we really could have a team that would seriously challenge. Exciting times.

Don’t think he’s agreed a new deal with Bristol Rovers yet so I’d be stunned if we weren’t one of the League 1 clubs in for Antony Evans.

He was their stand out player last season playing centre midfielder.

I really do hope the management have learned from last season's mistakes/weaknesses.

I am not as fussed as some with Elliot re-signing, we needed some new defensive recruits and new blood, even Karl in early May said he was going to target a left sided centre-back, I assume that one is still incoming at some point, to enable him to play his 5 at the back.

Gorrin signing is good, we missed his defensive style and that would have contributed to the shipping of goals. Surely question marks remain over Sedds, following his treatment last season, which leads to the debate over needing one/two wing-bacls/full-backs. Williams did well there, we've resigned Forde who I like, but rarely contributes.

We have a plethora of central midfield players but have lost Herbie. I'd love it if we got him back. Hope and expect us to tie down Cam.

The debate about Nathan Holland; FWIW, I think he did contribute alot and would be pleased with that signing.

So on that basis, before we even bring Bodin up, the squad has not changed at all. I refer back to my opening sentence.

Karl has publicly stated he wants four strikers, fair to assume we have three in Taylor, Baldock and Marcus B.

We got rid of some utter dross but only two were first team players (Winnall and Hanson).

So with all that in mind, we don't have loads of room for new players....................as we seem intent on re-signing the boys of last season.

Looking forward to seeing who WE ACTUALLY bring in as fresh signings.
If the board want a chance at automatic promotion then they have to fund 6/7 quality signings that are in the main shoe in starters. We have the basis of a very good squad but had weaknesses.
Left and right wing backs.
A 'been there and done it' left sided CB, particularly if we are going 3 at the back.
A DM who is at least as good as Gorrin.
A CM to compliment Cam.
Another winger.
Plus a striker, could be a young loanee who can come on and provide something different and is cover for Baldock who will likely miss around 15 games due to injury/fatigue.
A tall order but do that and we'll definitely be up there!!

If the board want a chance at automatic promotion then they have to fund 6/7 quality signings that are in the main shoe in starters. We have the basis of a very good squad but had weaknesses.
Left and right wing backs.
A 'been there and done it' left sided CB, particularly if we are going 3 at the back.
A DM who is at least as good as Gorrin.
A CM to compliment Cam.
Another winger.
Plus a striker, could be a young loanee who can come on and provide something different and is cover for Baldock who will likely miss around 15 games due to injury/fatigue.
A tall order but do that and we'll definitely be up there!!

No thanks to a young kid as back up to Baldock. We need a proven striker every bit as good as Taylor and Baldock to challenge them and try and become the main man up top. If we go Taylor, Baldock and some young lad learning the ropes then it will end in disappointment again. Baldock is a risk on the injury front, Taylor's barren runs are costly and any youngster is a complete unknown. Much rather we throw big money at a proper, proven number 9.

No thanks to a young kid as back up to Baldock. We need a proven striker every bit as good as Taylor and Baldock to challenge them and try and become the main man up top. If we go Taylor, Baldock and some young lad learning the ropes then it will end in disappointment again. Baldock is a risk on the injury front, Taylor's barren runs are costly and any youngster is a complete unknown. Much rather we throw big money at a proper, proven number 9.
Considering we already have one of if not the best attack in the league I think spending a huge chunk of out budget on the player you are suggesting would be an extravagance. Lets not forget we now have Browne, Henry, and maybe Bodin who contribute goals. Plus bear in mind Karl like to play a front 3 (Baldock and Taylor combo marked a change from this somewhat) and the players we have maybe are enough. Many of the points we dropped (especially near the end of the season) was the failure to keep clean sheets not a failure to score. I would argue fix the defense and add a pacy option to throw on when our older strikers tire and we should be ok.

I partially disagree. We need an alternative to them. For those occasions when our tippy tappy isn't working and we need to start lumping boxes into the box.

A Marvin Robinson style player. But good at football.

David McGoldrick, Tom Eaves, John Marquis, Will Grigg, James Norwood, Saido Berahino.

That’s some of the free agent strikers about.

Sorry forget Whyte, not the player of old so move on please.

Can we forget signing loan players from last year
Never got us promoted surely that must register something
By that logic you loan a player who scores 20 plus goals but you don’t get promoted
He becomes available but you turn him down
Or put it another way if you were in charge we wouldn’t have signed Kemar Roofe

By that logic you loan a player who scores 20 plus goals but you don’t get promoted
He becomes available but you turn him down
Or put it another way if you were in charge we wouldn’t have signed Kemar Roofe
I think the key point was the "not the player of old" quote which I think is fair enough. He got a good amount of assists but just one goal is awful for an attacking player in the top scoring team in the division, he missed a lot of costly sitters as well. I think I saw someone earlier in this thread claim he was unlucky not to get 15 goals which is nonsense, he's only got about 12 league goals in his entire career in England. I think it's likely that what we saw in his first season was the exception rather than the rule, couple with the fact he seems to have lost a yard of pace I would hope we can do better. If we play a back three and one behind the striker I don't particularly like him there either, right wing or nothing for me.

Sorry forget Whyte, not the player of old so move on please.

Can we forget signing loan players from last year
Never got us promoted surely that must register something
Is that to suggest nobody we’ve ever had on loan has ever got any better in the seasons that followed?

Transfer business is not a one size fits all. Each and every player has strengths and weaknesses, a level of potential, a character and a price to pay. You make the decision based on all of those factors among others, not just how many goals they bagged for us on loan the season before. It’s not an exact science.

Last edited:
I think the key point was the "not the player of old" quote which I think is fair enough. He got a good amount of assists but just one goal is awful for an attacking player in the top scoring team in the division, he missed a lot of costly sitters as well. I think I saw someone earlier in this thread claim he was unlucky not to get 15 goals which is nonsense, he's only got about 12 league goals in his entire career in England. I think it's likely that what we saw in his first season was the exception rather than the rule, couple with the fact he seems to have lost a yard of pace I would hope we can do better. If we play a back three and one behind the striker I don't particularly like him there either, right wing or nothing for me.

That someone, was me. Throughout the course of the season, I must’ve seen Gavin miss at least 10 sitters, or make the wrong decision, when it mattered the most. I’m not talking half-chances, I’m talking chances that 9/10, a decent striker would have buried. If he had converted those, as he should have, he would have ended on close to 15 goals.

I think that if Gavin comes back, and he’s played in his preferred position, he will prove once again, just how good he is. He’s clearly a confidence player, and I think his time at Cardiff has sucked that out of him. If he returns on a permanent, I am absolutely sure that we will see him return to the player that we first signed!

I really thought he bought a lot to the table. Great at set pieces, assisting and got himself on the score sheet a few times. I’m sure Bristol R would have offered him a deal too, so they will be wondering how they missed out. It’s easy! We have extremely deep pockets.

I don’t care that he played for the SCUM. Its what he does in Yellow and Blue that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom