Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
When’s Karl going to learn?

Edit; just to be clear my comment relates to taking a risk signing injury prone players.

Just hope Markus isn’t too bad
Poor Marcus
Fingers crossed for him
He was in tears as he came off
It was a heavy foul that caused it

It's a Huge worry. Also an interesting interview yesterday from Barton at Rovers that Cam is on £6000 to £7000 and they were after Joseph but Swansea wanted £5500 a week and we blew Rovers out of the water. And yes you wouldn't want to play any of the bigger teams at the minute. Some shocking signing. Gutted for Marcus and now virtually the whole forward line injured. I don't think it's been a bad start it's been a catastrophic start.

The frightening thing about our squad, is that regardless of who the manager is, with a week to go, we are five or six players away from being a top half team, least of playoff hopefuls. We need a Goalkeeper, two full-backs, a winger, striker, and ideally a play-making midfielder (aka a Kane - but not Kane with the injury he seems to be struggling with).

Robinson has created an utter mess and his interviews are an embarrassment and an insult to the fans intelligence. The goalkeeper is a case in point of his recruitment failure. Three keepers, yet based on his selection of Eastwood as number 1, not one of them is currently good enough (Eastwood is not a modern keeper) - and we therefore need to now recruit a fourth. Add to this four or five players that even when they are fit to play, you have your heart in your mouth every time they run or get tackled, is a pretty damning picture.

I feel for the owners, they’ve backed him, but when I look at the squad, there are some really good players, but we are a team of misfits. If we are lucky, we might just scrape above the bottom four (and if you think we are too good - Rovers looked relegation candidates Saturday and they still beat us). Sadly, even if we replace Robinson, as a prospective manager, you’d need to brave to want to pick up this team and try to turn it around.

Last edited:
The frightening thing about our squad, is that regardless of who the manager is, with a week to go, we are five or six players away from being a top half team, least of playoff hopefuls. We need a Goalkeeper, two full-backs, a winger, striker, and ideally a play-making midfielder (aka a Kane - but not Kane with the injury he seems to be struggling with).

Robinson has created an utter mess and his interviews are an embarrassment and an insult to the fans intelligence. The goalkeeper is a case in point of his recruitment failure. Three keepers, yet based on his selection of Eastwood as number 1, not one of them is currently good enough (Eastwood is not a modern keeper) - and we therefore need to now recruit a fourth. Add to this four or five players that even when they are fit to play, you have your heart in your mouth every time they run or get tackled, is a pretty damning picture.

I feel for the owners, they’ve backed him, but when I look at the squad, there are some really good players, but we are a team of misfits. If we are lucky, we might just scrape above the bottom four (and if you think we are too good - Rovers looked relegation candidates Saturday and they still beat us). Sadly, even if we replace Robinson, as a prospective manager, you’d need to brave to want to pick up this team and try to turn it around.

How many ball-playing midfielders do we need?! It’s the holding player we are desperate for.

How many ball-playing midfielders do we need?! It’s the holding player we are desperate for.
Not sure we have clever/cute ball playing players. If you look at McGuane he doesn’t actually play that many (if any) defence splitting passes, it’s mainly sideways.

I actually think we need both e.g. central defensive midfielder and a clever/cute ball player, but I also think we need a lot more e.g. pacy wingers, fullbacks, striker etc. Worrying!

If I was the investor, I would have got rid at the end of last season when it was clear we would not make playoffs and given someone new the supposedly large budget Robinson has to spend building his own team
This would have been my preferred plan as well, but that window has passed.
He has to therefore be given until October to turn it around. Early Oct sacking gives you four weeks to appoint a new manager and gives them two months to assess the squad and what they need in Jan.

I would however instantly switch from him having final say on signings though. I would let someone that will be at the club after he is gone, if he is unable to turn it around, be able to overrule KR player recruitment.

Not sure we have clever/cute ball playing players. If you look at McGuane he doesn’t actually play that many (if any) defence splitting passes, it’s mainly sideways.

I actually think we need both e.g. central defensive midfielder and a clever/cute ball player, but I also think we need a lot more e.g. pacy wingers, fullbacks, striker etc. Worrying!

A big, horrible bastard who’s going to impose himself and be that ball winner is what we need iMO.

Brannagan and MM are having to do both roles currently so by definition, both are being done peripherally. Let’s free those two creative players up by having an imposing player at the base of the midfield to protect the back four.

Robinson said it after Blackpool - he called it. He said we needed more athletic and robust players. He has failed to deliver - we have in midfield currently:

Bate: 5ft 7
Goodrham: 5ft 7?
Marcus McGuane: 5ft 10 (thought he was taller!)
Marcus Browne: 5ft 10
Brannagan: 5ft 11
Bodin: 5ft 11
Henry: 6ft 1
Gorrin: 6ft 1

Now, if any of the above were a Paul Scholes or Roy Keane type of player, you could do without their lack of physicality or natural presence, but not one of the above are of that ilk. Perhaps Gorrin aside, they are ball players.

Robinson has persisted with this pretty footballer type player in lieu of creating a balanced midfield.

It’s arrogant at the very least (goes back to his comment about doing plan a better when plan a doesn’t work!) but beyond that, it’s bordering on negligence.

Blackpool was 3 transfer windows ago. How long does it take to see the wood from the trees?

Which one is the ball playing midfielder? The one that can pick the ball up, and create space, open things up and or really getting us moving (Kane role when he first came in).

I rate Brannagan and McGuane, but don’t see either in this role?

If Browne and Murphy injury’s are bad, Jones doesn’t appear to be trusted to be to be able to play a whole game does that mean we have to go out and sign more wingers? That would be on top of the full backs, holding midfielder and another forward we need? It’s all turned to s**t really hasn’t it.

We genuinely, and more desperately than ever still need:
2 new full backs
A winger or possibly 2
Striker
Aggressive strong midfielder

MM has looked superb so far, especially when able to run with the ball and attack opposition players. A big strong midfielder to back him up would allow him to do this more and give him a bit of extra freedom. Imagine if either he or CB got injured, we’d be left with Bate, and a risky AG and nothing else, as Smyth seems to have disappeared off the radar. No idea what’s happened to him but maybe just not good enough anyway.

Unless we get those 5 or 6 players in, it’s going to be along winter ahead!

I should add they must not have any previous injury history or fitness concerns and must be ready from day one to hit the ground running! (dream on!)

Which one is the ball playing midfielder? The one that can pick the ball up, and create space, open things up and or really getting us moving (Kane role when he first came in).

I rate Brannagan and McGuane, but don’t see either in this role?
Bate has been brought in as a ball-playing midfielder. He was terrible yesterday, but let's not write him off now.
In terms of picking up the ball and creating space, Marcus McGuane's ability to spin out of tight spaces and drive into space makes him very effective at this, albeit not with progressive passing. Brannagan switches play well and keeps the ball moving forward, but I agree he isn't a creative force from deep.

Part of the issue in my opinion is how few options there are in terms of players to pass to. Our full-backs normally overlap, but it seems they've been told not to enter the final third until we are behind this season.

But the technical ability of McGuane, Brannagan and Bate should be an embarrassment of riches at the level, so please can we bring in someone to do their dirty work and let them play. I cannot understand how you can have a player in Gorrin, who was so important to us, then just flatly refuse to replace him.

A big, horrible bastard who’s going to impose himself and be that ball winner is what we need iMO.

Brannagan and MM are having to do both roles currently so by definition, both are being done peripherally. Let’s free those two creative players up by having an imposing player at the base of the midfield to protect the back four.

Robinson said it after Blackpool - he called it. He said we needed more athletic and robust players. He has failed to deliver - we have in midfield currently:

Bate: 5ft 7
Goodrham: 5ft 7?
Marcus McGuane: 5ft 10 (thought he was taller!)
Marcus Browne: 5ft 10
Brannagan: 5ft 11
Bodin: 5ft 11
Henry: 6ft 1
Gorrin: 6ft 1

Now, if any of the above were a Paul Scholes or Roy Keane type of player, you could do without their lack of physicality or natural presence, but not one of the above are of that ilk. Perhaps Gorrin aside, they are ball players.

Robinson has persisted with this pretty footballer type player in lieu of creating a balanced midfield.

It’s arrogant at the very least (goes back to his comment about doing plan a better when plan a doesn’t work!) but beyond that, it’s bordering on negligence.

Blackpool was 3 transfer windows ago. How long does it take to see the wood from the trees?
Brannagan 5ft 10, Henry 6ft 1? Must have got the tape measure from same place as the fax machine.

We genuinely, and more desperately than ever still need:
2 new full backs
A winger or possibly 2
Striker
Aggressive strong midfielder

MM has looked superb so far, especially when able to run with the ball and attack opposition players. A big strong midfielder to back him up would allow him to do this more and give him a bit of extra freedom. Imagine if either he or CB got injured, we’d be left with Bate, and a risky AG and nothing else, as Smyth seems to have disappeared off the radar. No idea what’s happened to him but maybe just not good enough anyway.

Unless we get those 5 or 6 players in, it’s going to be along winter ahead!

I should add they must not have any previous injury history or fitness concerns and must be ready from day one to hit the ground running! (dream on!)
But we knew this back in April

Lets face it our run is was appalling

Last 8 games of the season we lost 4 won 2 and drew 2

From a playoff position we fell away badly, as supporters we could see where it unravelled and we knew failings to get the right robust players and enough cover in defence cost us

Mc Nally leaves, Findlay replaces him , a good player and we get Brown who is also decent but two good full backs and a robust CDM have not been addressed and should have been our priority.
We are still scratching about for these players but by the time we get them and they are bedded in we are going to be too far off the pace

Where was Jodi Jones yesterday?
Looked like he was injured to me and didn’t properly take part in the warm up or quick half time kick about. Guessing might have been on the bench to save KR even more questions and flak about crocks! If he was fit he’d have surely come on?

Assuming he wasn’t fit, then where was Smyth or anyone who could have been used for that matter?

We are in a real mess right now, like it or not and believe it or not, that’s fact!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom