General 2019/20 First Team Squad

People get the wrong impression when clubs talk about budget cuts. I don't see a problem with it at all, it enables the club to re-focus and stop the pointless signings.

When the club spend vasts amounts of money on Holmes and Carruthers - let's predict it's north of £30,000 per month for that pair :rolleyes: - is it a big drama trimming the wage bill? I say it makes bloody sense if I were Tiger.

Or use that saving (above) and use 50% of it on a decent player like Jordan Graham or Jerome Sinclair.

We've lost plenty of players this season, we continue to trim the U23's in the face of financial challenges, I can't see the first team being impacted very much.

Also I bet Garbutt is on a decent wedge too. I think just from those 3 loan signings, especially compared to the likes of Long, Sykes and Whyte that you don't have to pay big wages to get in quality, and that big wages don't always equal success.

People get the wrong impression when clubs talk about budget cuts. I don't see a problem with it at all, it enables the club to re-focus and stop the pointless signings.

When the club spend vasts amounts of money on Holmes and Carruthers - let's predict it's north of £30,000 per month for that pair :rolleyes: - is it a big drama trimming the wage bill? I say it makes bloody sense if I were Tiger.

Or use that saving (above) and use 50% of it on a decent player like Jordan Graham or Jerome Sinclair.

We've lost plenty of players this season, we continue to trim the U23's in the face of financial challenges, I can't see the first team being impacted very much.

Is it just me who thinks this budget could all be a bluff? I think the playing squad budget will be similar if not more than last season.

I would much rather us play the budget down in public and do our work under the radar this summer.

So to sum up what eitehr hasnt been announced yet/I've missed:
Seniors
OOC - Raglan, Obika, Nelson, Hall, Shearer
OOC but 1yr option - Stevens, Mousinho, Kellaher
Rest - allcontracted to 2020 or beyond...

Youngsters: Most are sorted now - either staying or going or already on deals to 2020 or beyond.
Only queries I have are (and can anybody post any actual detail if they know any more):
Agboola - was his current deal to 2019 or beyond?
Harry McDonell - 2nd year scholar, due to graduate this summer, not seen anything either way
Elachi - any detail on how long his pro deal was for?
Nico Jones - has he been signed on a pro deal yet?

Michael Elechi is under contract until summer 2021.

Agboola was out of contract last summer, can't imagine we'd have offered him more than a years extension.

I can't see any official announcement of a senior contract for Nico Jones. Though I'd hope it's something that gets announced in the next few weeks.

Agboola was out of contract last summer, can't imagine we'd have offered him more than a years extension.

I can't see any official announcement of a senior contract for Nico Jones. Though I'd hope it's something that gets announced in the next few weeks.

Isn't Nico Jones a 1st year Scholar or have I got it wrong?

I suspected that would the case for Elechi (same as Spasov & Lopes), tho both still in second year in youth squad.
Wonder whether Jones will get the nod for a pro deal soon - is he 17 yet?
Things are very quiet re: Agboola, can't see us keeping both him and Stevens

I suspected that would the case for Elechi (same as Spasov & Lopes), tho both still in second year in youth squad.
Wonder whether Jones will get the nod for a pro deal soon - is he 17 yet?
Things are very quiet re: Agboola, can't see us keeping both him and Stevens

Nico turned 17 in February. If he's making the bench, he's certainly earned a years extension at the very least.

Can't see Agboola being retained. He'd have been making the bench over Stevens if so.

Looking at the U23 page, it's clear to see why we're scaling down that programme. Everyone but Clayton and Heap are showing as out on loan.

Nico turned 17 in February. If he's making the bench, he's certainly earned a years extension at the very least.

Can't see Agboola being retained. He'd have been making the bench over Stevens if so.

Looking at the U23 page, it's clear to see why we're scaling down that programme. Everyone but Clayton and Heap are showing as out on loan.
Hate to say it, but of the dedicated U23s for this season, then apart from Baptiste, Napa and Stevens, who are already 1st team names, only Aaron heap has been retained into a second year - Clayton, Hopkins, Noel Williams, Berry-Hargreaves, Little, Taverner, Johnson, Bradbury, Taylor and Rev James have or are all moving on.

Which on the face of it, is bad news....

....However, as the club have said, we do have a very healthy crop of youngsters behind them who, in theory, are still in their two years scholarships at the club. Five had already been offered pro deals during the season (James, Lofthouse, Elechi, Spasov, Lopes) and two more have been given deals as they graduate this summer (McCreadie and Crooks).
Add to those a couple of the current first years who are showing well and could grab deals sooner rather than later (Jones, Sampford, and keepers Evans & Harris), then you have a very healthy looking setup indeed

Hate to say it, but of the dedicated U23s for this season, then apart from Baptiste, Napa and Stevens, who are already 1st team names, only Aaron heap has been retained into a second year - Clayton, Hopkins, Noel Williams, Berry-Hargreaves, Little, Taverner, Johnson, Bradbury, Taylor and Rev James have or are all moving on.

Which on the face of it, is bad news....

....However, as the club have said, we do have a very healthy crop of youngsters behind them who, in theory, are still in their two years scholarships at the club. Five had already been offered pro deals during the season (James, Lofthouse, Elechi, Spasov, Lopes) and two more have been given deals as they graduate this summer (McCreadie and Crooks).
Add to those a couple of the current first years who are showing well and could grab deals sooner rather than later (Jones, Sampford, and keepers Evans & Harris), then you have a very healthy looking setup indeed
I suppose with it being the first year of an u23 team, it would’ve been overly optimistic to expect a bumper crop for the first team.

I suppose with it being the first year of an u23 team, it would’ve been overly optimistic to expect a bumper crop for the first team.
Well out of 10 or 11 only really Baptiste has actually played for the first team more than a couple of times this season,?
So I reckon it has been worse than could have been expected.
There seems to be really good young players coming through from the youth so I get why the club are doing what they are doing.
In my view it will be 2 to 3 years to see some of these seriously playing in the first team.
Let's hope a few make it.

I don't think that Obika should be with us next season, but give the lad a bit of a break. He has been injured for most of his time with us, clearly being asked to play when unfit last season. I suspect that the style under Clotet did not play to his strengths, either.

Strengths??

Agboola is a strange one. Consistently spent time on loan since signing pro deal. And actually been loaned out to a higher standard than Jack Stevens ever was. Currently at Solihull Moors as backup keeper but they rarely put a sub keeper on the bench so i think he has only featured in the squad once.

Agboola is a strange one. Consistently spent time on loan since signing pro deal. And actually been loaned out to a higher standard than Jack Stevens ever was. Currently at Solihull Moors as backup keeper but they rarely put a sub keeper on the bench so i think he has only featured in the squad once.
I agree. He was excellent when on-loan to North Leigh in 16/17 season.

Guess that settles where he'll be next season

KR and SD were at North Leigh to watch young Henry Landers, who put away a vital spot kick with great aplomb. New signing for 19/20?

KR and SD were at North Leigh to watch young Henry Landers, who put away a vital spot kick with great aplomb. New signing for 19/20?
Why would he drop to league 1 with a championship side ready to do a deal for Lando?!

Why would he drop to league 1 with a championship side ready to do a deal for Lando?!
I saw his agent, telling KR to "calm down lad, Henners is off to Bristol City". It was a little sad to watching KR running after Henry with a contract and a pen afterwards...

Back
Top Bottom