General 2019/20 First Team Squad

If we sign a right back which seems likely then Long can cover right back and left back.
We have 2 young players in the U23s who presumably the management team could cover for Ruffels.
I guess that the point of the U23s is to give them a chance. As somebody else suggested we are not relying on youth team players as back up but good players from the U23s.
I get your point but it sounds like the management team have decided that there will be no further left backs (I guess that if Garbutt returns he will come as a left sided midfield player who can play left back if we have no other choice!)
think Sam Long can cover CB if required too?

He could ask Jake Wright for advice on that.
Oh I agree.
I just seem to remembering reading that somewhere.
Anybody who is getting on a bit like me may remember Malcolm McIntosh who similarly was seen as a full back but did well as a CB even though he was deemed as too small.

I remember he started at CB away to Morecambe and dealt with Kevin Ellison brilliantly so not entirely sure height is everything.

Height of Long shouldn't matter if he has a giant lump next to him like Dickie for the headers and then Ruffels the other side on the left. So as a covering Centre back Sam Long could be a good optuon
Well IF Long is considered backup for RB, LB and CB he us a pretty useful player.
Also I would argue that we need just the one first choice CB in that case (Jones, Long and Mousinho as back up to the 2 first choice CBs)

I can honestly see a good argument to the statement that we only really NEED two players - a first choice centre forward, and centre back. If we got two top quality players in for those positions I’d be happy enough with our squad.

It’s an 18-man game these days and with no possibility of reinforcing the squad before January now, it would be absolutely remiss to have no less than three (preferably four) legitimate options for each position. Not only to cover the inevitable injuries and suspensions but because it’s a 7-man bench and we should have the wherewithal to go three-centre-backs or three-up-front as the situation demands.

If you consider Dickie, Mousinho, Long, Jones and Mackie, Napa, Whyte at the present...then it’s painfully obvious we do NEED two further options in each position.

It’s an 18-man game these days and with no possibility of reinforcing the squad before January now, it would be absolutely remiss to have no less than three (preferably four) legitimate options for each position. Not only to cover the inevitable injuries and suspensions but because it’s a 7-man bench and we should have the wherewithal to go three-centre-backs or three-up-front as the situation demands.

If you consider Dickie, Mousinho, Long, Jones and Mackie, Napa, Whyte at the present...then it’s painfully obvious we do NEED two further options in each position.
Two further options in each position? So at least 16 further new signings this summer?

I wasn’t really clear in my post, I meant I’d be happy with only two more permanent additions in those positions - I’d expect us to get the usual full complement of loan players in who are usually hit and miss, but like Browne and Garbutt last season can often do a useful job at times

Or, using your loaf, the two positions I addressed in my post.

Being a further four signings.

You think we need two strikers and two centre backs?

Two centre backs I can kind of see, so a new CB and Dickie as starters, new CB as first backup and then Mousinho and Jones as reserves, but IF Whyte is going to play centrally then two new strikers when we play one up front would leave 4 players going for one spot

Two centre backs I can kind of see, so a new CB and Dickie as starters, new CB as first backup and then Mousinho and Jones as reserves, but IF Whyte is going to play centrally then two new strikers when we play one up front would leave 4 players going for one spot

Whyte playing centrally DOES appear to be the popular opinion, but it does worry me somewhat. He's a tearaway without doubt, but not necessarily muscular nor a bully. In short - I've just described a winger. I don't understand why we'd steer away from that.

Yes - two more of each, for the simple reason that if we lose one of them, we are utterly sunk; light-weight, and entirely predictable for oppositions to deal with.

And - Nico Jones for all his amazing promise, is only 17 going on 18!

Our squad is absolutely minute. We can easily justify carrying 1 or 2 defenders, and 1 or 2 attackers, on a 7-man bench - alongside our legions of midfielders.

we need 2 strikers 100% i don’t see Whyte as a first choice number 9 he will be mainly used as a right winger but there will be times he’ll play up top (depending the opposition we play & if we are chasing the game) but can’t go into this season with Mackie & just 1 other as our strike force,

we need 2 strikers 100% i don’t see Whyte as a first choice number 9 he will be mainly used as a right winger but there will be times he’ll play up top (depending the opposition we play & if we are chasing the game) but can’t go into this season with Mackie & just 1 other as our strike force,

And yet we did just that in the 2nd half of the season.

To be fair, we had Jonte Smith as an extra addition.

Can imagine getting a clear first-team striker, and an unproven academy graduate on loan as backup.

The unproven academy graduate as back up could be our academy graduate in Slavi Spasov (if he is back from his injury), Fabio Lopes (who appears to play in a number of positions) or Owen James.

Back
Top Bottom