20/21 Season Thread

We all need to reassess football and the finances. I know the world has changed massively, but it's only a few months since half of this board were demanding that we got Chris Cadden for £500k+, or paid Baptiste what he wanted etc. The demand for better players on longer contracts put clubs under pressure to spend more. Yet at the same time, many of the same fans despise the PL, the TV deals and any chairman who hasn't been a lifelong fan.

The recent investment in the training ground, the academy and the community development work will put us in a much stronger position than many clubs at our level once this all settles down. But let's be realistic, the idea that we will get £7m for Dickie or pay £1m for a rightback are things of the past.

Football needs to be reset, but so do expectations and demands from the fans.

Agreed. Difficult for one club to do that on it's own and remain competitive though (hence the Cadden furore, although that was simply too much money for him!) - hopefully this break and it's implications will mean that all clubs take stock.

Also, I'm not massively against the idea of limiting squad numbers and increasing home developed players. It's a much more sustainable model, and one that we would have already been working towards anyway. Wage caps are much harder to put in, especially as there are already loads of ways clubs can get around the FFP system anyway, and this will be no different. But I guess the most important thing is that we have a club to support regardless of what tweaks are put in place.

Also, I'm not massively against the idea of limiting squad numbers and increasing home developed players. It's a much more sustainable model, and one that we would have already been working towards anyway. Wage caps are much harder to put in, especially as there are already loads of ways clubs can get around the FFP system anyway, and this will be no different. But I guess the most important thing is that we have a club to support regardless of what tweaks are put in place.

No doubt if wage caps are brought in, appearance fees and goal bonuses will increase to offset any losses

Is it still ok to spend North of 30m on a new stadium...Perhaps there should also be an immediate stop to the credit industry across the globe::::if you don't have the reddies you cannot have nor be encouraged to live beyond your means.
How about everything in life is completely reassessed leading to equality throughout the world, that every single person has the same wage and living costs, it's all a dream right?
Likewise you really think football is going to change it's ways that the have's are going to be giving a milisecond thought towards the have not's because if so you're in for a big shock. Society has created a greed culture where money is everything and thus creates power.

Is it still ok to spend North of 30m on a new stadium...Perhaps there should also be an immediate stop to the credit industry across the globe::::if you don't have the reddies you cannot have nor be encouraged to live beyond your means.
How about everything in life is completely reassessed leading to equality throughout the world, that every single person has the same wage and living costs, it's all a dream right?
Likewise you really think football is going to change it's ways that the have's are going to be giving a milisecond thought towards the have not's because if so you're in for a big shock. Society has created a greed culture where money is everything and thus creates power.

If you have investors, the right time to build will be just after the pandemic. Materials would cost less and whilst some construction companies will have a backlog of projects, there will be plenty of companies out there looking for work. Also, in terms of benefits for the club, a new stadium is a better investment than any amount of money thrown at players. Whilst many clubs are looking to sell their stadium to raise funds, we as fans know that that isn't the way to go about it at all. The stadium, if you own it, isn't the reason why you're losing money as a football club, it's how you make money.

Yet uncle firoz (Firoka) are not? also there is a recession on the way and the Billions the Government have spent funding people will have to be clawed back..A number of people were already struggling before the pandemic and having to catch up on missed mortgage rent credit card payments where do people find the money from?

Yet uncle firoz (Firoka) are not? also there is a recession on the way and the Billions the Government have spent funding people will have to be clawed back..A number of people were already struggling before the pandemic and having to catch up on missed mortgage rent credit card payments where do people find the money from?
I get your point, and it is even more valid now than a few months ago. But if a new stadium was to be commissioned and built, it would still be some years off. By then, hopefully the country, and football itself, will be starting to recover. What better time to have something incredible to look forward to?

I won't reopen all the arguments about if, when, where or why, but let's cling on to any and every maybe right now.

If you have investors, the right time to build will be just after the pandemic. Materials would cost less and whilst some construction companies will have a backlog of projects, there will be plenty of companies out there looking for work. Also, in terms of benefits for the club, a new stadium is a better investment than any amount of money thrown at players. Whilst many clubs are looking to sell their stadium to raise funds, we as fans know that that isn't the way to go about it at all. The stadium, if you own it, isn't the reason why you're losing money as a football club, it's how you make money.
You’re right, if we’re secure in a stadium that makes us money we could play the kids and still get by without having to constantly splash out money or get more in debt. Unless there is total economic collapse people will make room in their budget for football.

Credit is drying up, hence the banks are making provisions for defaults in credit, especially on Corporates. I wish we could get out of the Kassam or it sold to us for a knockdown price.

Or for the next year we play without crowds at Court Farm while we build the new "University Stadium" for when a vaccine exists and crowds can return.

Think that would be a step too far. Not that we'd play somewhere else anyway.

I wouldn't watch it if we did. That pitch is absolutely awful and the viewing experience on it is equally awful, which is a pity as I enjoyed the odd game watching City previous to it being put in.

I agree with that. Horrible pitch. Probably very practical, certainly awful.

If it's a warm day at Oxford City, you need a facemask virus or no virus - it smells like burning tyres!

Credit is drying up, hence the banks are making provisions for defaults in credit, especially on Corporates. I wish we could get out of the Kassam or it sold to us for a knockdown price.

Or for the next year we play without crowds at Court Farm while we build the new "University Stadium" for when a vaccine exists and crowds can return.

Sadly there still lay a big difference between a knockdown price at Uncle Firoz valuation and one at it's true valuation.

i've previously voiced my opinion of spending a fortune building a new stadium/complex that would likely remain 1/2 filled..That would apply even more so now and "hoping" for some improvement in 5 years time or so is one helluva risk and shrewd Business men to not take such risks. You also need consider what if the risk is taken and it goes pear shaped there is then potentially another massive debt hanging over the club..

I agree with that. Horrible pitch. Probably very practical, certainly awful.

If it's a warm day at Oxford City, you need a facemask virus or no virus - it smells like burning tyres!
slight improvement on the sewage smell at the breeze block then

I wouldn't watch it if we did. That pitch is absolutely awful and the viewing experience on it is equally awful, which is a pity as I enjoyed the odd game watching City previous to it being put in.
I am talking about behind closed doors, ie via stream.

Or Iffley Road or somewhere else?

Back
Top Bottom