20/21 Season Thread

MalaysiaYellow

With so many posts on the "How to complete the season" thread, I felt it prudent to start this thread to put updates, topics and updated for next season.

One news item on BBC I thought was interesting was Burton replacing Clough, partly due to current impact around Covid19. I feel this is one of the additional things we might see as the cost pressures kick in, or as clubs go bust, that Managers, particularly highly paid ones could be replace by cheaper options or more Player/Managers.

With so many posts on the "How to complete the season" thread, I felt it prudent to start this thread to put updates, topics and updated for next season.

One news item on BBC I thought was interesting was Burton replacing Clough, partly due to current impact around Covid19. I feel this is one of the additional things we might see as the cost pressures kick in, or as clubs go bust, that Managers, particularly highly paid ones could be replace by cheaper options or more Player/Managers.

I think its quite a noble gesture from Clough and his management team. I guess/hope they're not short of a few bob but, assuming the reason behind the departures is actually what they’re all saying, its still nice to see the long term future of a football club being given priority over selfish greed.

I think its quite a noble gesture from Clough and his management team. I guess/hope they're not short of a few bob but, assuming the reason behind the departures is actually what they’re all saying, its still nice to see the long term future of a football club being given priority over selfish greed.
Yes Clough was on a decent whack at Burton. They have lost a couple of hundred thousand in revenue.

This is what it's going to need, managers or players setting an example, taking paycuts, etc and the other players will follow suit.

Or, he doesn’t want to waste his time at a club going nowhere.

Salary cap and squad size restrictions to be discussed.

I saw that on the other thread. Yes it's been in the EFL meetings. Interesting.

Not sure the likes of Sunderland, Pompey and Ipswich will agree (Rumoured Sunderland wage bill is still 20 million)

Also depends what they determine as salary. It could excluded win bonuses, signing on fees, etc.

There is already clauses built into most players contracts where they get promoted or relegated. Should encourage them to perform.

"If approved, it would mean only 20 senior professionals at each club, with eight homegrown players - those produced from the club's academy system - within that group"

Firstly, with no academy system, how will the likes of Wycombe cope - would they only be allowed to name 12 players?

Secondly, using the current squad list on the official website, we have 25 senior players, of which 5 are homegrown.
We would therefore have to drop 8 pros and replace them with three youngsters and any U23s we've bought in to the Dev Squad would really struggle to make any progress...

GK - Eastwood , Stevens (Y)
DEF - Dickie, Moore, Mousinho, Ruffels (Y), Long (Y), N Jones (Y)
MID - Gorrin, Brannigan, Kelly, Sykes, Holland, Napa (Y)
ATT - Taylor (Y), Mackie, Henry, Browne, Lopes (Y), Spasov (Y)

Dropped - Atkinson, Siddiqi, Woodburn, forde, Hanson, Thorne, Hall, Agyei
Spare (Y) - Max Harris (GK), Goodrham (MF), Lofthouse (MF), James (FW), Elechi (DEF)

A few interesting articles.

My worry with what Fry is asking for is what would the PL want in return? It could possibly open the door for feeder club situations and the dreaded U23’s joining the league.

My worry with what Fry is asking for is what would the PL want in return? It could possibly open the door for feeder club situations and the dreaded U23’s joining the league.

Exactly, and the PL have their own issues with Broadcasters and Sponsors wanting a rebate and reduced terms for next season. Oh, and clubs like Man Utd with a 300 million player wages cost. What people are failing to grasp is the backers behind teams are also impacted by their other businesses, etc.

P'Boro are in trouble as once the Free Transfers start from PL down and wages are realigned, player like Toney will be worth zero.

This is interesting as if players values drop as predicted then the January transfer window sales we made are now looking very well timed. Our promotion push stayed on track and we pocketed money that would not be around in the next window. As for 20/21 it is going to be an empty stadium nightmare. I will still spend what I can to support oufc and hopefully everyone else will do the same

The bottom line is that with or without financial help from the Premier League they will see this as an opportunity to take advantage of the situation. It's almost inevitable they will make some move to either force their B teams in exchange for some cash or with clubs potentially going bust their places could be filled with B teams to fill the gaps.

That's maybe a cynical view but I just don't trust the Premier League and their member clubs from seeing this as a chance to tighten their grip on the entire pyramid.

"If approved, it would mean only 20 senior professionals at each club, with eight homegrown players - those produced from the club's academy system - within that group"

Firstly, with no academy system, how will the likes of Wycombe cope - would they only be allowed to name 12 players?

Secondly, using the current squad list on the official website, we have 25 senior players, of which 5 are homegrown.
We would therefore have to drop 8 pros and replace them with three youngsters and any U23s we've bought in to the Dev Squad would really struggle to make any progress...

GK - Eastwood , Stevens (Y)
DEF - Dickie, Moore, Mousinho, Ruffels (Y), Long (Y), N Jones (Y)
MID - Gorrin, Brannigan, Kelly, Sykes, Holland, Napa (Y)
ATT - Taylor (Y), Mackie, Henry, Browne, Lopes (Y), Spasov (Y)

Dropped - Atkinson, Siddiqi, Woodburn, forde, Hanson, Thorne, Hall, Agyei
Spare (Y) - Max Harris (GK), Goodrham (MF), Lofthouse (MF), James (FW), Elechi (DEF)

I reckon anyone who is 23 or under doesn't have to be registered, and the 'homegrown' players might refer to players being homegrown in the country rather than the club itself.

I don't want to sound like a stuck record but this is just pressing the reset button and restoring some kind of sanity. Players in the third tier on 3/4k a week, premier league players on more salary than academics? No-one can say thats ok surely!?

I won't feel sorry for footballers having to take a wage hit when thousands of us have been effected by losing loved ones, our jobs, not being able to pay mortgages etc...

Reality is the world is a changing...

A reduction in footballers wages at the elite level really would not be a bad thing. As it is, the whole teetering edifice is propped up by the TV money. Even then, it isn't sustainable, with even the best known and best supported clubs having to rely on handouts from rich owners to keep going. And of course that then inflates the wages that clubs like ours have to pay - without that same level of 'unearned' income to support us. I know a footballer's career can be short, but so are those in some other professions - expecting to earn enough in ten years to allow you to live in the lap of luxury for the next fifty needs a reset.

I don't want to sound like a stuck record but this is just pressing the reset button and restoring some kind of sanity. Players in the third tier on 3/4k a week, premier league players on more salary than academics? No-one can say thats ok surely!?

I won't feel sorry for footballers having to take a wage hit when thousands of us have been effected by losing loved ones, our jobs, not being able to pay mortgages etc...

Reality is the world is a changing...

It's all due to the trickle down effect of wages coming into League One but not of money. There have been plenty of examples of clubs having been in the Premier League dropping down to League One meaning that if other clubs in the division want to compete with them, they'll have to up their wage spend to compete on the pitch. What also hasn't helped is the likes of Southampton, Norwich and Bournemouth gaining promotion from the third tier to the top pretty quickly, making other owners think it's actually an achievable thing to do. So we're now in a position where player wages are vastly inflated in regards to how much money clubs at our level are making. If this crisis doesn't lead to a reduction in player salaries, I don't know what will.

You would imagine that wages will *have* to reduce if clubs want to survive. They've potentially lost a lot of money already and (with a very heavy heart) I really cannot see us all being at Grenoble Road in August to welcome the team onto the pitch for the new season.

I read that 3 of the 192 Australian Rugby players declined a 60% pay cut until September and have been released.

I can see many clubs over here having to make similar choices and the value of those clubs assets is only going one way. Almost glad we sold Fos-Bap when we did.....

A Footballer on 350.000 a week losing 60% still gets £560.000 per month

Joe Public on £2.000 a Month losing 60% Aint go anywhere to live

Back
Top Bottom