Home Match Day Thread 20-10-2020 L1 OUFC v MK Dons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we had so little posession as Eastwood kicked long everytime. Obviously a tactic from KR. Eastwood does need to work on his goal kicks. Most went straight to a MK dong player or straight off the pitch.

Mad blancmange of a game. Good fun. Ref appeared to be on illegal substances.

MK kamikaze, they will get nowhere with those tactics.

How about Henry and Clare swapping positions?

Although Gorrin not at his best you can see that he melds the team together; we were looking very dangerous on the break by the end.

Ruffles doesn’t look fit.

Win’s a win

If someone could tell me how we won that, I’d be grateful?
We scored more goals and to be fair missed a whole load more.
In the second half we deserved it I thought ( had Agyei scored when he should have it would have been more convincing)

Thought Ruffels improved as the game went on. Tbf to him and Clare, they got little help from McGuane and Henry defensively for decent chunks of the 1st half.

I keep seeing this argument that Ruffels isn’t getting support from the player in front of him. Now that may be fair enough if it’s the right back and the right winger both bombing forward and leaving him 2 vs 1, playing triangles around him, or if he’s staying with his man and the right back is free to play crosses in, but at the moment he’s getting run past with ease by the right winger. Unless he expects to have our left winger back and helping him go 2 vs 1 to tackle every time, then that’s nothing to do with a lack of support.

I keep seeing this argument that Ruffels isn’t getting support from the player in front of him. Now that may be fair enough if it’s the right back and the right winger both bombing forward and leaving him 2 vs 1, playing triangles around him, or if he’s staying with his man and the right back is free to play crosses in, but at the moment he’s getting run past with ease by the right winger. Unless he expects to have our left winger back and helping him go 2 vs 1 to tackle every time, then that’s nothing to do with a lack of support.

The other midfielders and forwards were going into that space creating triangles around him.

Having seen my first game of the season puts the ranting on here in perspective. We do look really dodgy at the back but I can only see us improving. Clare started terribly but Atkinson looks a player - not surprised Eastwood is shaky with that lot in front of him, though. But we’re constantly dangerous going forward and have any number of players who can score. Agyei has his moments but doesn’t really look like a footballer- he’s like a non league side’s eyecatching forward.

Match Ratings.

Eastwood 7. Solid. Couldn’t do nothing with the goals.

Clare 7. Started nervous, grew in to the game. Our best player 2nd half

Moore 6. The weak link in our defence first half. Poor start to the season.

Atkinson 8. Outstanding before another f*****g injury

Ruffels 7. Solid. Getting back in to the groove

Gorrin 7. Became more important as the game went on.

Sykes 9. Absolute everywhere. Stepped in massively for Brannagan

Forde 7. Average. Didn’t offer enough protection defensively. Set pieces superb

Henry 7. Average by his standards. Didn’t stop running. Lucky not to see a red card for an elbow.

Taylor 8. Didn’t stop working. Done a right job up there on his own. Poachers goal

McGuene 7. Awesome in patches, terrible at times. Needs to show more to keep his place over the QPR lad & Cooper

Match Ratings.

Eastwood 7. Solid. Couldn’t do nothing with the goals.

Clare 7. Started nervous, grew in to the game. Our best player 2nd half

Moore 6. The weak link in our defence first half. Poor start to the season.

Atkinson 8. Outstanding before another f*****g injury

Ruffels 7. Solid. Getting back in to the groove

Gorrin 7. Became more important as the game went on.

Sykes 9. Absolute everywhere. Stepped in massively for Brannagan

Forde 7. Average. Didn’t offer enough protection defensively. Set pieces superb

Henry 7. Average by his standards. Didn’t stop running. Lucky not to see a red card for an elbow.

Taylor 8. Didn’t stop working. Done a right job up there on his own. Poachers goal

McGuene 7. Awesome in patches, terrible at times. Needs to show more to keep his place over the QPR lad & Cooper
Agei missing again i see ;)

Much better today, shaky at the back still but created some real chances to kill the game sooner too. Unlike a few on here who just seem to look at our shot statistics and think "loads of chances wow!" Despite half of them being blocked, outside the box and barely half chances on Saturday!

Hopefully a good confidence boost ahead of the derby

1. First game I’ve watched this season. I thought their may be some overreacting on Clare from what I’d read but he really needs some coaching from Les Robinson. He stands off his man and lets him get into position , turn and face the goal and make a decision. The experience is all too gentle and submissive. He needs to use his body more, make it claustrophobic and rough the spazwangle up. He’s fast enough he can afford a small error and still recover. Second half he was an improvement and in a 3-5-2 he’d be lethal. What a run that was !

2. Center backs are fine still. It’s the full backs where the threat is coming from. Atkinson and Moore if they can stay fit will be a great combination this season

3. Eastwood looks short on confidence and sharpness. But I don’t see why he can’t get it back he’s had bad patches before. There’s really no guarantee that Stevens is better and we don’t get to see training sessions

4. Taylor. Fantastic shithousery. He gave away a couple needless free kicks but overall he disrupted and distracted that defense and got into their heads. Nice finish as ever. He gets two if the Agyei chance falls to him. He had the Mackie factor but with other dimensions too(stating the obvious)

5. The confidence was clearly ebbing from the team first half and they looked panicked on the ball. But their class hasn’t gone overnight and they showed it in big measures a few times. Like previous seasons this team is capable of bad runs and insanely good runs. They’re quite predictable in their unpredictability for streaks.

6. Worth noting our opposition so far this year.

+ Accrington away 7th
+ Lincoln away 3rd
+ Peterborough away 4th
+ Gillingham away 12th
+ MK Dons home 22nd
+ Sunderland home 5th

That’s a pretty tough run of fixtures based on current form. Beat Crewe at home and we’d be 13th and 4points off the playoffs.

7. MK Dons played a bizarre version of the early Appleton side that none of us believed in. They were desperately missing a quarterback in Brannagan or Lundstram mould to help the defence out. Take it off them. And move the ball through

Last edited:
Much better today, shaky at the back still but created some real chances to kill the game sooner too. Unlike a few on here who just seem to look at our shot statistics and think "loads of chances wow!" Despite half of them being blocked, outside the box and barely half chances on Saturday!

Hopefully a good confidence boost ahead of the derby
we played better against peterborough ffs.

With Agyei's chance, you can see he lacks confidence in his weaker foot. Any right footed player would tap that in no problem, and so would Agyei had the ball been coming across from the left. But he wanted the extra time to let the ball roll across onto his favoured left foot, which allowed the defender the extra second to get back. The mistake was that he then should have lifted his shot, as the defender would have either had to turn into a contortionist in order to head it away, handled it and conceded a penalty and red card, or let it go in.

Agyei could and should have rolled it in with his favoured left foot as he was in the centre of the goal.
The goal was gaping but he wanted another touch and gave himself a more difficult angle.It was an horrific miss.

McGuane’s miss was really bad too. Scooping a shot wide when clean through.McGuane needs to get more involved as he is great on the ball
and glides across the turf.

7. MK Dons played a bizarre version of the early Appleton side that none of us believed in. They were desperately missing a quarterback in Brannagan or Lundstram mould to help the defence out. Take it off them. And move the ball ththrough
If MK continue to play like that they could go down. We made what 4 to 5 chances through MK trying to play the ball out. It clearly wasn't working and yet they continued this tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom