Home Match Day Thread 20-10-2020 L1 OUFC v MK Dons

Status
Not open for further replies.
So MK played very much like we have at the start of the season...... loads of possession and lost.
Same as us at Gillingham & Posh etc.
Basics - stop the oppo scoring, take your chances.
That game could have finished 6-4 just as easily.
Least its entertaining to watch. :)

MK Dons gaffer Russell Martin‘s post match interview:

I switched that interview off after 3 minutes, never heard such rubbish and outright lies from a manager. To say we were time wasting out every opportunity, other than the last couple of minutes after they scored their second, I can't remember one time...although we had much less possession they didn't get anywhere near our goal in the second half up until the 92nd minute. We created more chances and should have been 4-1 up before they got their second. First half they looked for 20 minutes after they equalised then we settled down and were the better side. Doesnt matter how much you dominate possession if you don't do anything with it...we know that all to well.

I switched that interview off after 3 minutes, never heard such rubbish and outright lies from a manager. To say we were time wasting out every opportunity, other than the last couple of minutes after they scored their second, I can't remember one time...although we had much less possession they didn't get anywhere near our goal in the second half up until the 92nd minute. We created more chances and should have been 4-1 up before they got their second. First half they looked for 20 minutes after they equalised then we settled down and were the better side. Doesnt matter how much you dominate possession if you don't do anything with it...we know that all to well.
He sounded like a man already under pressure to me..

To be fair though, he does seem like a manager who tries to play the right way, even if it is a bit misguided at times. And he had no problems with us showing our teeth when it got a bit tasty, despite the MK interviewer trying to get a rise out of him.

I think we all know that possession doesn’t win you games or else we would of been top going into last nights game not bottom. They reminded me of us, had a good spell but then a lot of the ball in front of their own area where they looked as likely to give us the ball and concede as they did to actually do something with it. We could, and probably should of had 4 or 5, so no manager should be feeling robbed with that sort of defensive performance.

I thought their manager was pretty spot on with his analysis. Think MK will be in and around the play offs this season.

First half I thought MK played some excellent football and could have gone in 2 up. Jerome and Morris held the ball up well, their passing was excellent and the wing backs found acres of space. We were largely hanging on. Second half we closed down the supply to the wide men much better and their threat was much less evident. They were near suicidal at the back. Sykes in particular did a great job closing down the supply And Taylor worked tirelessly too. We have issues defensively as all can see but Atkinson was immense and that forward run to help set up the first goal was class. Though Forde is good we do miss Brannagan massively. It is a worry that the club are keeping largely quiet on the problem and prognosis. Last night showed a different side to our play. Low possession but the ability to battle and gradually suss the opposition method. Encouraging tho less pleasing on the eye compared to Gills where we dominated ...but lost!

Not playing that way they won’t be, they are as bad as the back as we are.
Agree with that. However, our main chances came when they were chasing the game. If they sort out the basic mistakes (like us) then I would expect them to be play off material.

To be honest I really enjoyed the game. Certainly one of the best Ive seen since covid hit.

Both goals MK scored were shocking on our part. The second one is the worse of the two IMO - the bloke just runs straight forward. One of ours misses a tackle/foul and the rest just back off and back off and back off. It's a good shot, of course, but he should never have got that far - it's not an individual error, there are at least three players not doing their jobs there. I'm just thankful it wasn't the catalyst to us snatching a draw from the jaws of a win!

Morning after the victorious night before ..... it was a decent, albeit closer than it should've been, win, over a decent footballing side

It was brilliant to get back to winning ways, though the margin could've been wider if our finishing had been a shade more clinical at times

Defensive errors again costly , two goals that both have question marks hanging over more than one of our defenders (& keeper for the second )

Clare is decent going forward, but still requires cover/ help when defending
Easty is a decent shot stopper, but in recent matches he seems to have forgotten some of the basics of goalkeeping
An unsettled back 4 is never ideal, with each player learning on the job what their fellow defenders is and isn't going to do
Sykes in the past two matches has provided quite a lot of cover for Clare - and other defenders, however Ruffels, still getting back to full match fitness, hasn't had (as much) similar cover from the midfield. Hopefully after last night, Ruffs is up to speed?

All can fully redeem themselves by delivering a clean sheet- the first in a while - this Saturday

Match Ratings.

Eastwood 7. Solid. Couldn’t do nothing with the goals.

Clare 7. Started nervous, grew in to the game. Our best player 2nd half

Moore 6. The weak link in our defence first half. Poor start to the season.

Atkinson 8. Outstanding before another f*****g injury

Ruffels 7. Solid. Getting back in to the groove

Gorrin 7. Became more important as the game went on.

Sykes 9. Absolute everywhere. Stepped in massively for Brannagan

Forde 7. Average. Didn’t offer enough protection defensively. Set pieces superb

Henry 7. Average by his standards. Didn’t stop running. Lucky not to see a red card for an elbow.

Taylor 8. Didn’t stop working. Done a right job up there on his own. Poachers goal

McGuene 7. Awesome in patches, terrible at times. Needs to show more to keep his place over the QPR lad & Cooper
You're much more generous than I saw it!

Eastwood 6 - Barely had anything to do but positional questions over the second goal
Clare 5 - Horrifically bad for the first goal, defensive liability but grew into the game
Moore 7 - Solid game at the back
Atkinson 8 - Great run for the first goal and kept the MK Dons attack quiet before his injury
Ruffels 6 - Some poor moments throughout the game but kept involved
Gorrin 6 - Showed a bit of rust with some lax passing but shielded the defence fairly well
Sykes 7 - Probably our hardest worker but made some needless fouls and from a bright start faded
Forde 7 - Some great deliveries, helped on the defensive side and involved in some of our most promising moves
Henry 6 - Very quiet night on the ball, but after KR's tactical changes grew into the game
Taylor 7 - Must be a nightmare to play against. Took his goal well and constantly on the wind-up
McGuene 6 - Scuffed assist and bright start but another who disappeared from the game

Agyi 6 - Missed an absolute sitter
Long 7 - Took his headed goal well and did a good job filling in
Shodipo 7 - Loves a step over (not necessarily a good thing) and took his goal exceptionally well

Both goals MK scored were shocking on our part. The second one is the worse of the two IMO - the bloke just runs straight forward. One of ours misses a tackle/foul and the rest just back off and back off and back off. It's a good shot, of course, but he should never have got that far - it's not an individual error, there are at least three players not doing their jobs there. I'm just thankful it wasn't the catalyst to us snatching a draw from the jaws of a win!
But the rentamob here blamed Eastwood!!! Burn the witch!!!

Great we won at last and could have had more in the second half. Massive worry with Atkinson now injured was shown when their guy went right through from more or less his own 18yard box to score in stoppage time with nobody at least attempting to foul him to stop him.

Gorrin tried to flick the back of Gladwins heals soon after he entered our half, if it was 2-1 at the time them I’m Pretty sure Gorrin would have certainly taken one for the team and floored him with just a yellow card punishment however with a 2 goal cushion and the game already will into injury time I thought Gorrin did the right thing with a half hearted attempt to put Gladwin on the floor.
you can remember this when Gorrin reaches the limit on yellow cards and gets suspended in what is already becoming a threadbare team.

Gorrin tried to flick the back of Gladwins heals soon after he entered our half, if it was 2-1 at the time them I’m Pretty sure Gorrin would have certainly taken one for the team and floored him with just a yellow card punishment however with a 2 goal cushion and the game already will into injury time I thought Gorrin did the right thing with a half hearted attempt to put Gladwin on the floor.
you can remember this when Gorrin reaches the limit on yellow cards and gets suspended in what is already becoming a threadbare team.
i have to say it's a side of the game i hate regardless of which teams player does it.

if they keep up that playing out from the back they will be in big trouble''''''they are too shite to be doing that

Great we won at last and could have had more in the second half. Massive worry with Atkinson now injured was shown when their guy went right through from more or less his own 18yard box to score in stoppage time with nobody at least attempting to foul him to stop him.
And Moore just backed off, finally stopped and then flicked a foot out - I've seen better defending at Sunday league football.

if they keep up that playing out from the back they will be in big trouble''''''they are too shite to be doing that
Teams are getting better at closing down from goal kicks, the Middlesbrough goal last night is a prime example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom