Home Match Day Thread +++ 20/08/2019 L1: OUFC vs Burton Albion+++

Should Robinson have taken Gorrin off and push Mous in to the middle putting Moore in defence?

It was a shame that we conceded the third goal just before we made our substitutions, may have been different.
Gorrin came out early for the 2nd half and was doing runs with a coach. So he was clearly carrying an injury. Together with his Corbo-like collection of bookings I think he should have been subbed at the break.

Mous, you had a bad game mate. Gorrin will be on a ban shortly. Put Mous into the middle, and play Moore with Dickie.
Reality check tonight - Burton deserved it right from the first minute & KR was out foxed!

Is it just me or has Simon taken a dip in form? Seemed a bit hesitant at times.

Brewers were impressive in their attacks. High pressed us off the park. I thought our attack did ok but we were a bit naive at the back. Hey ho. Early days.

Onward and upward COYYs!

We scored twice, their 3rd was lucky and their 4th was class when we were chasing the game. We deserved to lose but we really weren't that bad, and I thought they were pretty decent.
I’m sorry I have to disagree as others have said Mous and Dickie were well short of what they’re capable of Easty below par tonight, Gorrin was a liability tonight, Cadden was good going forward but was slow getting back on occasions, Henry and Brannagan were good, Taylor will come good. Hall sorry to say is well below par and Fosu didn’t have that spark, oh I forgot Ruffles didn’t do to bad.

We were poor tonight s**t happens we move on and try our damn hardest not to repeat.

They were big and strong. We tend not to be. Lucas Akers was exceptional. I see Burton being in the top 6 on that showing. Too good for us. Robinson should have put Hanson on at half time - big reason for our defeat was because Gorrin got outmuscled

On the plus side Cadden and Henry are a class pairing on right hand side but Henry ran out of puff on the hour.

Forde’s goal exquisite, thought he did well but he wasn’t involved enough.

Halls days are numbered, sad to say. And Mous couldn’t cope with their speed and strength.

Taylor didn’t look match sharp, but did enough to persuade he will be an asset.

Fosu didn’t look fit.

Tonight demonstrated just how tough Lesgue 1 is. Technical standard again high, although we were so second best game was a decent watch.

Just got home and reading through the last 10 pages of this thread, it is clear that most watched the same game that we did. Mous was just not good enough, Dickie was being overwhelmed by the indecision of Mous. Hall looks a shadow of the player we saw so long ago. Cadden looked good with Henry but why no end product? If you can cross the ball as well as he can, why didn't he?
KR was right about his subs being wrong. Did nothing to change the game, quite the opposite and caused more problems.
There is a good team out there but there needs to be better direction than this evening.
Burton had done their homework and, aided by technical spotters up in the South stand, were able to adjust play throughout. We looked lost and struggled to string meaningful passes together.
On to Brizzle then, hopefully lesson learnt.

Really bad night all round. Poor crowd, poor performances from back to front and poor management.

That said, I’ve seen OUFC teams in the past who just give up. This lot do keep working IMO which is positive.

Was CB having words with someone in the North Stand at the end?

Gorrin came out early for the 2nd half and was doing runs with a coach. So he was clearly carrying an injury. Together with his Corbo-like collection of bookings I think he should have been subbed at the break.

Not sure I put him in the same league as Corbo!

Just got back home from watching that shambles. 6 hour round trip to watch players who downed tools after their equaliser. Pathetic. You can talk all you want about referee mistakes, tactical failures and systems but the reality is the players decided to stand off of challenges because they were physically weaker than the opposition who eventually ground us down. Worryingly poor as many predicted. We need to get Elliott Moore and Hanson in for the next game to get some physicality to add to our undoubted passing ability.

Agree with many of the observations about certain players under- performing tonight. Burton got the tactics spot on and we couldn’t cope with their counter attacks on the break in the second half. I will also say that Eastwood had one of the poorest games I’ve seen in some time. If a couple of their post shots had gone in we might have been on the end of a 2-6 loss. Reality check for me tonight.

Eastwood 5 - Beaten from distance by shots that didn’t seem in corners or that powerful.
Cadden 5 - He’s a good footballer but his crossing is questionable.
Dickie 6 - Great sight when he’s in full flow bringing ball out but got ragged in second half.
Mousinho 4 - Horror night and more mistakes could easily have cost us further goals.
Ruffles 6 - Generally dependable but part of a defence that was getting pulled about.
Henry 6 - Thought he was our stand out player in first half. Poor second half though.
Gorrin 6 - Did well enough first half but faded badly in the second half.
Brannagan 7 - On score sheet again but got frustrated in latter stages.
Forde 6 - Great finish for his goal and played a part in the equaliser too.
Woodburn 6 - Got more involved but still lacks end product.
Taylor 6 - Had a few half chances but he will have better nights.

Hall 5 - Saw plenty of the ball but confidence is lacking.
Mackie 5 - Never looked like increasing our chances to score.

Did anyone else think the size of our pitch played against us last night? It looks an extremely large playing surface to me, and I’ve heard KR mention how he asked for it to be extended. The problem last night was we had no pace to utilise it.
Forde looked OK, tidy in possession, but he was never going to beat his man for pace. I’m not sure we can play him and Henry in the same side, or Henry should have played 10 and Woodburn out wide.
Every time Burton broke and played the ball to Boyce or Akins, they seemed to have acres of space, and used there pace to cause serious problems.

Eastwood 5 - Beaten from distance by shots that didn’t seem in corners or that powerful.
Cadden 5 - He’s a good footballer but his crossing is questionable.
Dickie 6 - Great sight when he’s in full flow bringing ball out but got ragged in second half.
Mousinho 4 - Horror night and more mistakes could easily have cost us further goals.
Ruffles 6 - Generally dependable but part of a defence that was getting pulled about.
Henry 6 - Thought he was our stand out player in first half. Poor second half though.
Gorrin 6 - Did well enough first half but faded badly in the second half.
Brannagan 7 - On score sheet again but got frustrated in latter stages.
Forde 6 - Great finish for his goal and played a part in the equaliser too.
Woodburn 6 - Got more involved but still lacks end product.
Taylor 6 - Had a few half chances but he will have better nights.

Hall 5 - Saw plenty of the ball but confidence is lacking.
Mackie 5 - Never looked like increasing our chances to score.
On the whole I agree, although have to disagree about Eastwood. He had zero chance with any of the goals. The first was awful defending and a free header from a corner. The second was a Fabulous strike from the edge of the are right into the top corner after the defenders failed to clear. The third took a massive deflection and eastwood couldn't adjust his feet fast enough. The fourth was a brilliant strike that hit the post and went in again Eastwood didn't have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom