Home Match Day Thread +++ 20/07/19 PSF OUFC V QPR+++

Sorry it’s late but report from this afternoons game at Gosport. Started very well and the kids looked good very well drilled very slick passing moving the ball around very well. Deservedly took the lead with a nailed on penalty. As the game went on though Gosport made there physicality count. Mind it was men against boys. I think the average age of our kids was 17. Gosport scores 3 goals. The lads didn’t let it get to them and started taking control of the game, had a 2 nd goal disallowed for offside, I didn’t and a lot of others didn’t think it was offside. Then the game was abandoned with 15 mins left. Max Harris in goal looks a really good prospect our number 6 when he develpes physically when he’s older playing in front of the back 4 could be a tremendous prospect, very calm on the ball moves it around very well a very tall lad in the Patrick Viara mould. In the 2nd half a young lad our number 15 looked about 10 years old looked awesome sorry don’t know his name, played CM and became our play maker.
Update from a friend who is a steward at Gosport on the steward who fell down the stand stairs. He was air lifted to hospital and has suffered badly broken leg. Initial CT scans have ruled out suspected broken neck and spine. Said steward is a diabetic ant as the weather was hot they think that being diabetic might of contributed to his acciden. Fingers crossed it isn’t more serious.
Overall it was a very entertaining game of football and our kids should feel proud of themselves for playing so well.

Get well soon to him...I did chuckle at this bit though.

The Question is were QPR resting players? Someone said they would struggle in the Championship, hardly a fair analysis Pre-season, when you don't know whether that was their starting 11.

The Question is were QPR resting players? Someone said they would struggle in the Championship, hardly a fair analysis Pre-season, when you don't know whether that was their starting 11.

I was impressed with their goalscorer who made intelligent runs. And the standout noticeable difference was the quality of their crossing.

I criticised Napa for not running much at their defence in the 1st half and testing them. So absolutely fair that I praise his 2nd half performance in this regard as at times he caused them real problems with a couple of runs. Only a pity that he showed no composure when he had a really good chance and failed to shoot at the back post; where we had 2 players free if it was missing or the keeper could only palm it away.

Last edited:
He's given the ball away twice in the defensive third, and several of his forward passes have gone straight out of play.

Also suspect, as he's the left-sided defender, that he should have been picking up Amos for both goals.
Some people just have it in for Mous; highlight mistakes and ignore good play. Don’t understand it: ok he’s prone to a couple of errors each game - name me an Oxford player who wasn’t on Saturday. I thought Dickie had a great game beside him, and CamBran, Berkoe, Gorrin and Ruff were good to watch. Napa had a poor first half but I liked the way he came back into it later. I disagree with those who think Lofthouse looked good; both yesterday and at Woking he looked a little lost to me. And on another subject: why are we so keen on yet another midfielder - and one who is going to disappear half way through the season and who have only have a mind on our doing well till then, and none after that?

Some people just have it in for Mous; highlight mistakes and ignore good play. Don’t understand it: ok he’s prone to a couple of errors each game - name me an Oxford player who wasn’t on Saturday. I thought Dickie had a great game beside him, and CamBran, Berkoe, Gorrin and Ruff were good to watch. Napa had a poor first half but I liked the way he came back into it later. I disagree with those who think Lofthouse looked good; both yesterday and at Woking he looked a little lost to me. And on another subject: why are we so keen on yet another midfielder - and one who is going to disappear half way through the season and who have only have a mind on our doing well till then, and none after that?
Fair comment about Mous - he is a good player, and yes he isn't the only player prone to the occasional error..... however: unfortunately in the past (playing as a centre back) a few his errors have cost goals, and imagine playing alongside a team mate who you have learnt in every game will probably do a big booboo at some point that will have you a) suddenly frantically rushing back trying to cover and b) cost you a goal.
It's not like he is a developing player who we can write off errors as part of the learning process - his best position is defensive midfielder, and he has been told by KR that he is no longer considered a starter even in that position ... But here he is, starting in his 2nd best position due to there being no other viable options left. I don't have it in for him and don't think many on here have anything against him being part of the squad: coming on as a sub to shore up the midfield or as the occasional starter to keep the starters fresh/on their toes - but having him as the starting option in his error prone position? - if this is the case come the start of the season then we should be worried.

Fair comment about Mous - he is a good player, and yes he isn't the only player prone to the occasional error..... however: unfortunately in the past (playing as a centre back) a few his errors have cost goals, and imagine playing alongside a team mate who you have learnt in every game will probably do a big booboo at some point that will have you a) suddenly frantically rushing back trying to cover and b) cost you a goal.
It's not like he is a developing player who we can write off errors as part of the learning process - his best position is defensive midfielder, and he has been told by KR that he is no longer considered a starter even in that position ... But here he is, starting in his 2nd best position due to there being no other viable options left. I don't have it in for him and don't think many on here have anything against him being part of the squad: coming on as a sub to shore up the midfield or as the occasional starter to keep the starters fresh/on their toes - but having him as the starting option in his error prone position? - if this is the case come the start of the season then we should be worried.
Fair points.

Back
Top Bottom