Home Match Day Thread +++ 20/07/19 PSF OUFC V QPR+++

Not too bad for a threadbare squad. Lost it in a couple of minutes of poor marking.

Gorrin has picked up where Kashi left off, and then some.

Napa and Lopes had decent moments, but couldn't provide any tangiable output.

Ruffels was solid the whole match. Berkoe looked very good again in his 10 minutes.

Watched via QPR stream and have to say, we didn't look too bad. QPR did flatter us by not really showing Championship form but, even so, there were a lot of plus points. (Dickie looks immense and much happier)
On the negative side, Sam Long passing still worrying and Napa really must learn to release the ball sooner.

We do need that striker and the defence needs more strength.

More work on tactics and those new players and we are set.

Watched via QPR stream and have to say, we didn't look too bad. QPR did flatter us by not really showing Championship form but, even so, there were a lot of plus points. (Dickie looks immense and much happier)
On the negative side, Sam Long passing still worrying and Napa really must learn to release the ball sooner.

We do need that striker and the defence needs more strength.

More work on tactics and those new players and we are set.

Do we need a centre back and a centre forward? Heard rumours we do?

Watching the game online I didn’t think it was at all bad. Ignoring the well publicised issues up front and in defence, I thought we looked quite solid and created a few decent chances.

Eastwood looked his usual self and didn’t have a massive amount to do.

Encouragingly, I thought both Ruffles and Long looked more than decent in the fullback positions. Dickie was also steady.

Brannigan and Gorrin looked solid and moved the ball around well.

Henry and Sykes did some good stuff going forward.

I was really impressed with Napas movement and work rate. I wouldn’t mind seeing him given a bit of time in the no10 role.

I was quite impressed with McMahon when he came on. Hanson was also decent.

One slight negative was Fosu’s performance, I thought he was a little off the pace. He was also pretty woeful with a free kick, and also a shot at the start of the second half, but I’m sure he’ll improve and show his worth.

One thing I did note, the players - particularly QPRs - struggled a bit with the pace of their passing. Several times the ball didn’t reach the intended target quick enough. Maybe a little dry or the grass was a tad long..?

On the whole I was more heartened by the performance than I expected to be. There’s a good solid base to build on. I think QPR will struggle in the Championship this season though.

Watching the game online I didn’t think it was at all bad. Ignoring the well publicised issues up front and in defence, I thought we looked quite solid and created a few decent chances.

Eastwood looked his usual self and didn’t have a massive amount to do.

Encouragingly, I thought both Ruffles and Long looked more than decent in the fullback positions. Dickie was also steady.

Brannigan and Gorrin looked solid and moved the ball around well.

Henry and Sykes did some good stuff going forward.

I was really impressed with Napas movement and work rate. I wouldn’t mind seeing him given a bit of time in the no10 role.

I was quite impressed with McMahon when he came on. Hanson was also decent.

One slight negative was Fosu’s performance, I thought he was a little off the pace. He was also pretty woeful with a free kick, and also a shot at the start of the second half, but I’m sure he’ll improve and show his worth.

One thing I did note, the players - particularly QPRs - struggled a bit with the pace of their passing. Several times the ball didn’t reach the intended target quick enough. Maybe a little dry or the grass was a tad long..?

On the whole I was more heartened by the performance than I expected to be. There’s a good solid base to build on. I think QPR will struggle in the Championship this season though.

Agree on the whole with your summary. We looked ok in general and the intensity of games appears to have been well structured with a decent run out today and Tuesday then tapering a little ahead of Sunderland.

Gorrin, Brannagan and then Hanson looked good in the middle. Long, Ruffels then McMahon and Berkoe all looked pretty good at full back. Even Dickie and Mous were ok, but both made mistakes in the opening half hour when we ended up 2 nil down.

Going forward there was lots of effort, but few stand out moments. Fosu seemed a little off the pace and Napa a little naive at times.

All in all, a good run out and more positives than negatives, although rumour has it that we could do with a striker and centre back!!!

Looking at the starting eleven today we always seemed two or three short. Then when you look to the bench after that it’s more like four or five.

I think Berkoe might be a little bit further along in his development than many of us probably thought when he first signed. I think even in short bursts he looks a bit above some of the other teens. Just has that extra yard and has a bit more composure as well as a defter touch than some of the others. Also think Lopes will go on to be a player. He looks comfortable on the ball, doesn’t panic and looks to spread the ball, and Lofthouse has something about him too. Think we definitely have three or four youngsters who have a big season of development ahead of them.

Four players needed, for me, in the next 12 odd days before Sunderland. Obviously the window runs beyond that, but there’s no point using that as a crutch because if we start terribly again, it becomes damn near impossible to achieve anything. You can’t fall too far behind too early, because even if you don’t end up in a season long relegation battle, you don’t end up competing either. I think we’d all like us to compete a bit more, so that’s why I think the team at the start of August means a lot more than the team at the end.

Still, just two weeks left until another nine months of mania begins. Can’t beat it, eh?

KR post match interview said 4 players incoming, one before Fulham game , Cadden (?), plus 3 others?.... hoping its two strikers and a CB

KR post match interview said 4 players incoming, one before Fulham game , Cadden (?), plus 3 others?.... hoping its two strikers and a CB
Right Back? Didn't KR say McMahon is in the shop window the other day or am I imagining things.

If we actually got them in, and it was a striker, centre back, right back and an extra winger, I think we would be in a fairly decent spot. Still think we’d need one, maybe two after that, but those four would definitely mean we are in okay shape. Now we just need to get them in and done, as well as keep everyone we currently have fit and healthy.

If you look at that squad today and add Whyte, Hall, Mackie, Cadden, 2 strikers and a CB and I think we'll be in a really good place. McMahon going might mean that we get another RB but otherwise I'd be happy with our lot.

If you look at that squad today and add Whyte, Hall, Mackie, Cadden, 2 strikers and a CB and I think we'll be in a really good place. McMahon going might mean that we get another RB but otherwise I'd be happy with our lot.

Although we have Long, Hanson and apparently Cadden as RB cover even without McMahon

so if Cadden is here will he be playing rb?
he ( Chris Cadden) is a midfielder, capped twice for Scotand in midfield .... his twin brother Nicky, who also is a footballer, in Scotland hes a leftsided midfielder

Back
Top Bottom