Home Match Day Thread +++ 20/01/2018 OUFC v Bury match thread +++

Sadly, central midfield has been a black hole for us this season and the loss of Nelson has rather exposed us in that area. The manager has tried every combination he has available and nothing has really worked for us. Yesterday was the exclamation point on that. With the unfortunate injuries to anyone with pace, we've been left with a humdrum team that desperately needs to both settle down and more players into it.

As for the whole shushing thing. Perhaps the idiot last week with his proud abuse of the players caused that reaction yesterday from the management and players.

Tiendalli's back pass was bad, but our defending on that throw was worse. Certain players just do not concentrate enough at set pieces and I suspect if they weren't in the team, we'd look a lot better instantly. I don't think we can wait any longer to get Dickie and Brannagan in the team. Need to get them right for next season.

He turned his ankle and thatbwhy he didn’t start yesterday

How many times have opposition forwards just ran through the centre of our defence. Mousinho scares me sometimes when he tries to be clever and turn the forward. He did this a couple of times with Maguire and fortunately got away with.

I'd love to see Dickie and Raglan come in as centre backs. Surely they cannot do any worse.

On a side note I was impressed with Bury’s left back Leigh yesterday. If we’re looking for decent full backs we could do worse on that showing. Not sure what he’s been like in the previous 8 or 9 games though...

On a side note I was impressed with Bury’s left back Leigh yesterday. If we’re looking for decent full backs we could do worse on that showing. Not sure what he’s been like in the previous 8 or 9 games though...
Considering they lost them all probably not setting the world alight:D Remember we have the ability to make oppositions look good! And if his job was to nullify our right side - Henry scored......

It was thoroughly depressing yesterday.

I couldn't believe it when a considerable amount of people actually booed a misplaced pass in the first half. Shame on them - it doesn't help. I'll boo with the best - or worst - of them. My shouts of derision from the end of the Wigan game are probably still echoing around the stadium. But during a game, when we aren't even losing? The players aren't being deliberately crap - although at times I wonder how some of them are stealing a living as professional footballers. And then you moan when a player tells you to shut up! Snowflakes. And singing not one song for our own players, and virtually none for our team but two or three for Maguire? Very odd indeed...

Talking of support - it looks like the 'Ultras' have found something else to do on a Saturday afternoon. That's fine (it's a free country, just) - I hope they don't come back trumpeting their loyalty and 'ultraness' when things improve. When things are crap both on and off the pitch, that is when you are needed most. Even if the crap stewards are unhelpful, the owner unsupportive, the team crap, the manager seemingly a bit of a numpty and the stadium a concrete carbuncle - you should be there suffering along with the rest of us!

On the pitch ....

I thought Tiendalli was quite possibly our best player (despite that idiotic back pass) - I'm not sure if that is a compliment to him or a brickbat aimed at the rest of them. The new lad showed encouraging touches - let's hope he is allowed to play in his proper position and to show what he can do. Martin was OK at times. Ledson ran around enthusiastically. I am struggling to think of anything good to say about anyone else.

Mehmeti stood out for me as a total waste of time - he can be added to the fairly lengthy list of players who can go back whence they came at the end of the season.

Connor Ripley is a chubby fool. He'll be playing non-league football within 18 months.

In the dugout ....

Can someone please explain to me what Clotet is trying to achieve? Nothing much changes week to week (the silly sideways passing along the back, the lack of movement off the ball, the playing tight little triangles at the side of the pitch before losing the ball, giving up goals from set pieces, the non-existent marking and lack of closing down, the poor substitutions etc etc) and I am struggling to see any progression at all. Or even any change. There seems to be precious little leadership - either on the pitch or from the sidelines. Since I cannot believe for an instant that Clotet is happy with what he is seeing and that the players are doing what he wants, why isn't he out there barking at them?

I don't bother to listen to Clotet's post match interviews any more. Completely uninformative and bad for my blood pressure - he seems to hurt not one jot after a loss. That cannot be true, but is how it seems from these little homilies he delivers.

I'm not one to want a manager out at the drop of a hat - but am struggling to think of any reason for him to stay. Giving him the summer to sign players like he did for this season seems like a very bad idea at the moment (reading between the lines, it seems that Eales has put his foot down and the reversion to the previous recruitment policy is down to him) - I suspect he doesn't understand what is needed in L1 at all.

Last edited:

I couldn't believe it when a considerable amount of people actually booed a misplaced pass in the first half. Shame on them - it doesn't help. I'll boo with the best - or worst - of them. My shouts of derision from the end of the Wigan game are probably still echoing around the stadium. But during a game, when we aren't even losing? The players aren't being deliberately crap - although at times I wonder how some of them are stealing a living as professional footballers. And then you moan when a player tells you to shut up! Snowflakes. And singing not one song for our own players, and virtually none for our team but two or three for Maguire? Very odd indeed...

Talking of support - it looks like the 'Ultras' have found something else to do on a Saturday afternoon. That's fine (it's a free country, just) - I hope they don't come back trumpeting their loyalty and 'ultraness' when things improve. When things are crap both on and off the pitch, that is when you are needed most. Even if the crap stewards are unhelpful, the owner unsupportive, the team crap, the manager seemingly a bit of a numpty and the stadium a concrete carbuncle - you should be there suffering along with the rest of us!

On the pitch ....

I thought Tiendalli was quite possibly our best player (despite that idiotic back pass) - I'm not sure if that is a compliment to him or a brickbat aimed at the rest of them. The new lad showed encouraging touches - let's hope he is allowed to play in his proper position and to show what he can do. Martin was OK at times. Ledson ran around enthusiastically. I am struggling to think of anything good to say about anyone else.

Mehmeti stood out for me as a total waste of time - he can be added to the fairly length list of players who can go back whence they came at the end of the season.

Connor Ripley is a chubby fool. He'll be playing non-league football within 18 months.

In the dugout ....

Can someone please explain to me what Clotet is trying to achieve? Nothing much changes week to week (the silly sideways passing along the back, the lack of movement off the ball, the playing tight little triangles at the side of the pitch before losing the ball, giving up goals from set pieces, the non-existent marking and lack of closing down, the poor substitutions etc etc) and I am struggling to see any progression at all. Or even any change. There seems to be precious little leadership - either on the pitch or from the sidelines. Since I cannot believe for an instant that Clotet is happy with what he is seeing and that the players are doing what he wants, why isn't he out there barking at them?

I don't bother to listen to Clotet's post match interviews any more. Completely uninformative and bad for my blood pressure - he seems to hurt not one jot after a loss. That cannot be true, but is how it seems from these little homilies he delivers.

I'm not one to want a manager out at the drop of a hat - but am struggling to think of any reason for him to stay. Giving him the summer to sign players like he did for this season seems like a very bad idea at the moment (reading between the lines, it seems that Eales has put his foot down and the reversion to the previous recruitment policy is down to him) - I suspect he doesn't understand what is needed in L1 at all.
Maybe the case as we've signed 3 youngsters but Pep seems reluctant to play them. Would Brannagan have played if not injured? Why's Dickie bench warming? He used IBR out of position... what a manager!

On the pitch ....

Mehmeti stood out for me as a total waste of time - he can be added to the fairly length list of players who can go back whence they came at the end of the season.

In the dugout ....

Good post. The trouble is when things go wrong it happens very slowly and creeps up on you. You don’t always see how bad it is until it’s all put in perspective. If it was possible to suddenly transport yourself to this post back in May last year it would all be very shocking

Back
Top Bottom