Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

Don't want to necessarily name and shame on the forum without any further evidence but a player out on loan didn't feature for that club this weekend just gone.

Speculation, nothing more. Definitely nothing against the player either.

Last edited:
As Premier league stars are getting a slap on the wrist for similar it would be extremely harsh to sack two silly youthful guys and wouldn't do much outside of Oxford in terms of stopping young men taking risks .....not agreeing with what they did at all , it was stupid but I admit doing some pretty stupid things at that age myself.

As Premier league stars are getting a slap on the wrist for similar it would be extremely harsh to sack two silly youthful guys and wouldn't do much outside of Oxford in terms of stopping young men taking risks .....not agreeing with what they did at all , it was stupid but I admit doing some pretty stupid things at that age myself.

I'd rather be the club that lead by example than following the muppets in the premier league

Will we? If they seek employment elsewhere their development etc goes with them to their new employer?
Written warning (final or otherwise) seems more appropriate IMHO.
5% of any transfer fee gets shared proportionately between the clubs the player was at between 12 and 23, so we'd still get something. You're probably right about not sacking them, they can still be made examples of and given the chance to redeem themselves at the club, I was probably a bit rash.

Agree 100%...however it depends on their track record. For example if they have offended in other ways before then this could be the last straw. Not suggesting it’s anyone in particular, and I have no idea who it is, but it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

I am sorry to say that if these players have done this then they probably ought to find a career elsewhere. Harsh, but they cannot claim ignorance - they know how hard the rest of the club have been working and to (presumably) think they can get away with it shows a complete lack of a) discipline and (more importantly) b) consideration towards the other players and their families.
Would you agree with sacking them if it was one of our senior professionals such as Matty Taylor or Elliot Moore etc? These are young people who have done wrong and deserve to be disciplined but football is littered with people who have done worse and not been sacked. Education over sacking in my view.

Fair play to The Athletic for the scoop, if the club didn't leak to them I wonder how they found out.

Fair play to The Athletic for the scoop, if the club didn't leak to them I wonder how they found out.
Good question. Hopefully we’re mega transparent and honest. Using this as an example of how we respond to serious breaches related to COVID.

I get the impression that under Dan Harris the club set very high standards for the youngsters , but treat them well in return.
PL players partying and putting photos on social media are an absolute disgrace, but these 2 ( if as alleged) were very stupid to put it mildly. They will be lucky to get a final warning

Very stupid mistake but they are young lads and how many people can honestly say they haven’t made bad choices as youngsters. I think the best thing would be a final warning, or suspension with wages withheld if that’s allowed, and educating them as to why what they did was so bad.

Maybe add in some additional community work when it is safer as well.

We have made representations in the press about our C19 procedures and so do need to be seen to be taking a stand here. However, as others have suggested some positive action whereby the offenders are seen to put something back into the community would be sensible. I have more sympathy with youth players than I would have with first teamers as there's plenty I did at that age which I'm glad social media wasn't around to capture.

As long as we do more than issuing a statement saying 'we're very disappointed in X & Y' then we'll have done more than the other clubs to date.

Would you agree with sacking them if it was one of our senior professionals such as Matty Taylor or Elliot Moore etc? These are young people who have done wrong and deserve to be disciplined but football is littered with people who have done worse and not been sacked. Education over sacking in my view.
Well Greenwood and Foden are now long forgotten

Don't want to necessarily name and shame on the forum without any further evidence but a player out on loan didn't feature for that club this weekend just gone.

Speculation, nothing more. Definitely nothing against the player either.
Played:
- Lofthouse 90mins and Spasov 15 mins off the bench for Woking.
- Asongyani 84mins for Chelmsford and loan has been extended.

Didn't Play:
- Farnborough's league is paused so Sole couldn't feature.
- LCP didn't feature for Havant and Waterlooville but had only been in the squad for 1 of the 3 games he had been available for prior to that.
- Lopes reported on 1st January as returning from Chippenham "due to injury" according to BBC Wiltshire twitter. (Jack Stevens going their instead)

I'm struggling to think of anyone else out on loan and of course there are many more players who class as U21 and U18 so doesn't have to be any of the above.

TBH, yes I would. I am fed up with people (in all walks of life) who seem to think that not only are they immune from both the rules and the virus that they can do what the hell they like and if they happen to pass the virus on to another person then so be it. One of the reasons we are under ever tighter restrictions is because there are a load of dickheads deciding that they know better than the medics - and I think people ought to *fear* the consequences of deliberately doing what they KNOW is the wrong thing. People don't need 'education' in this - if they haven't got the basic message after nine months it is because they are ignoring the rules, not because they don't know what they are.

Internal suspension for a number of games (at their level), final warning, and some community based service should suffice - all announced on website.
Then hope other clubs follow

TBH, yes I would. I am fed up with people (in all walks of life) who seem to think that not only are they immune from both the rules and the virus that they can do what the hell they like and if they happen to pass the virus on to another person then so be it. One of the reasons we are under ever tighter restrictions is because there are a load of dickheads deciding that they know better than the medics - and I think people ought to *fear* the consequences of deliberately doing what they KNOW is the wrong thing. People don't need 'education' in this - if they haven't got the basic message after nine months it is because they are ignoring the rules, not because they don't know what they are.
Fine i will take your word for it but I am not convinced that people would be clamouring for our top scorer to be sacked should he break the rules given his importance to us on the pitch. In terms of rule breakers, unfortunately behavioural scientists were highlighting this would happen the longer restrictive rules are in a place in a society which previously had much more freedom. I am not supporting what they have done but at the same time I don't think their actions (taking into account we don't even know the whole picture) justify potentially ruining their career.

Does this stand with our stated aim as a club to promote good mental health and develop these young men into functioning adults? Yes they made a stupid mistake and should be punished - but to just sack them and leave them by the wayside seems harsh. Surely education is the way to go. I’m sure we’ve all made mistakes when young, haven’t we?
I'm sorry, but this isn't some "stupid mistake" that can just be blamed on young nativity, they would've been under clear instructions how to behave over xmas and new year, and chose to ignore those instructions.

This pandemic has been going on for a long time, devastating families, and exhausting the NHS, and their actions are potentially adding to the huge increase in infections of a deadly virus that is sweeping the country, and they're old enough to know right from wrong, so they deserve to lose their employment, and if that ruins their careers, tough, as they've potentially contributed to ruining, or even ending other peoples lives, so why should they receive some watered down punishment, whilst being allowed to pursue their careers?!?

If they'd gone out and beaten someone within an inch of their life, or hit someone with a car whilst drunk, would you be passing it off as one of those "stupid mistakes" we all make when we're young, I doubt it, you'd be calling for their immediate sacking, so why should this be any different?

Like I said, they would've been under clear, strict orders how to behave with regards to this pandemic, and still chose to ignore the rules, and I don't want selfish, irresponsible, inconsiderate little arseholes like that representing my club, at any level.

Sack the morons!

Back
Top Bottom