Current Player 2 Youth Players Suspended

captainox

The Athletic are reporting that we have suspended two youth players pending an investigation into an allegation they attended a New Year's Eve party.
One from the U21s and one from the U18s. Club originally wanted to sack them on Friday but have spent the weekend considering further.

Marked Ox

If true idiots. The club may be holding off so appropriate disciplinary procedures are being followed.

unification

Bearing in mind KR’s comments on this, we have to take this as seriously as we are doing. No messing about.

ZeroTheHero

I am sorry to say that if these players have done this then they probably ought to find a career elsewhere. Harsh, but they cannot claim ignorance - they know how hard the rest of the club have been working and to (presumably) think they can get away with it shows a complete lack of a) discipline and (more importantly) b) consideration towards the other players and their families.

Whingit

Sack and make an example out of them. If they're any good we'll still get a proportion of any future transfer fee.

HampshireYellow

Sack and make an example out of them. If they're any good we'll still get a proportion of any future transfer fee.
Does this stand with our stated aim as a club to promote good mental health and develop these young men into functioning adults? Yes they made a stupid mistake and should be punished - but to just sack them and leave them by the wayside seems harsh. Surely education is the way to go. I’m sure we’ve all made mistakes when young, haven’t we?

jal

Don't want to necessarily name and shame on the forum without any further evidence but a player out on loan didn't feature for that club this weekend just gone.

Speculation, nothing more. Definitely nothing against the player either.

Last edited:

Thomas/Brock/Jones

As Premier league stars are getting a slap on the wrist for similar it would be extremely harsh to sack two silly youthful guys and wouldn't do much outside of Oxford in terms of stopping young men taking risks .....not agreeing with what they did at all , it was stupid but I admit doing some pretty stupid things at that age myself.

jal

As Premier league stars are getting a slap on the wrist for similar it would be extremely harsh to sack two silly youthful guys and wouldn't do much outside of Oxford in terms of stopping young men taking risks .....not agreeing with what they did at all , it was stupid but I admit doing some pretty stupid things at that age myself.

I'd rather be the club that lead by example than following the muppets in the premier league

Whingit

Will we? If they seek employment elsewhere their development etc goes with them to their new employer?
Written warning (final or otherwise) seems more appropriate IMHO.
5% of any transfer fee gets shared proportionately between the clubs the player was at between 12 and 23, so we'd still get something. You're probably right about not sacking them, they can still be made examples of and given the chance to redeem themselves at the club, I was probably a bit rash.

n1

Agree 100%...however it depends on their track record. For example if they have offended in other ways before then this could be the last straw. Not suggesting it’s anyone in particular, and I have no idea who it is, but it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Followtheox1

I am sorry to say that if these players have done this then they probably ought to find a career elsewhere. Harsh, but they cannot claim ignorance - they know how hard the rest of the club have been working and to (presumably) think they can get away with it shows a complete lack of a) discipline and (more importantly) b) consideration towards the other players and their families.
Would you agree with sacking them if it was one of our senior professionals such as Matty Taylor or Elliot Moore etc? These are young people who have done wrong and deserve to be disciplined but football is littered with people who have done worse and not been sacked. Education over sacking in my view.

Whingit

Fair play to The Athletic for the scoop, if the club didn't leak to them I wonder how they found out.