Home Match Day Thread +++ 2/3/19 OUFC v Scunthorpe United Matchday Thread +++

3pts were needed, three points won .... couldve been a better win with a clean sheet (goal difference may well be a factor at the end of the season defining one or two relegation places) that apart, happy with the win, happy with the 2 consecutive league wins (at last) this season

4 or 5 more wins and itll be job done.... hoping these 2 back to back wins are the start of a run of wins

Graham has said quite a few times that he prefers playing on the left (even though he is right footed) as he likes to be able to cut in. That showed today.

My issue with that is that we don't really have overlapping full backs. It's all very well to have players who like to cut in, but if we don't have any threat on the byline, then the defence can just occupy the centre of the pitch and be impossible to break down.

Likewise with Gavin coming on and both him and Jordan being more effective, it's aided by a switch in tactics against tired defensive legs.

I'd keep the starting XI for next week (maybe switching Henry out for Brannagan). It might be unfair on Whyte, but if we're tactically solid and at 0-0 at 60 minutes in the next match, it's good to know there's the potential for a gear change.

Thought Sykes was good throughout, but was better in the 2nd half.

Re; first half, I think our plan was more about not conceding and staying in the game, whereas, in the second half we raised the tempo and started to really control and influence the game.

He was poor first half, kept giving away possession. Saying that the whole first half was the worst I’ve seen this season.

The first half was poor because scunthorpe like many other teams we have struggled against didnt press us high. They sat 11 players deep and defended their own half. They hit us on the break and were the better team 1st half. Unlike other similar matches we have lost e.g b rovers at home we didnt make the stupid defensive errors to lose the match.

As an indication of how tight everything is down at the bottom at the minute, look at Gillingham yesterday: at the end of 90 minutes they were in 13th, come the final whistle they were down 6 places in 18th due to a stoppage time equaliser. Mad.

Important to put 2 wins together, our previous good run had too many draws, too many one pointers as opposed to three.
Sinclair's confidence must have been boosted too.

We all know how bad our away form is this season (22nd worst) but Gills (21st) and Rochdale (23rd)home form isn’t any better!
6 pts please ??

He was poor first half, kept giving away possession. Saying that the whole first half was the worst I’ve seen this season.

I think poor is a bit harsh, he just looked a bit green and got robbed a couple of times.

Why would you play Graham on the right? as soon as he switched sides we started creating chances.
Robinson's later substitutions put us under pressure.
Without Sinclair to hold the ball up we conceded and looked shaky for the remaining three minutes.
Sinclair did well all game. Couple of great pieces of skill.

He basically said in his interview after the game that he was knackered. KR couldn’t really keep him on.

I thought the tactics for the last two games was pretty obvious. Set out a defensive set up for the first 60 minutes till the opposition began to tire. Then bring on the pace to attack. Seemed to work pretty well in both cases.
Wouldn't be surprised if Robinson does the same in the next game.

We've started to do the simple things better and that gives the opportunity for the likes of Sykes, Graham, Whyte, Browne, Sinclair to make the difference with moments of magic. And this is without Henry being on top of his game and with Mackie, Brannaghan and Carruthers to come in. People don't like to say it, but we are (in theory) too good to go down and should pick up enough points in the next few weeks to settle the nerves.

I had initially predicted an unbeaten March with 4 wins and 2 draws, and although I remain confident, it is maybe time to go for broke and aim to win every game. Gillingham have been as up and down as us, but have some favourable fixtures coming up and would hope to make hay like us during the next few weeks. But they've only picked up 4 points from their last 4 home games and we could expect a fairly safe point. But play tight for an hour and anything can happen to really push on for the 3 points. Rochdale on the otherhand have only picked up 4 points since 1st January and really are there to be beaten. They will be scrapping for every point and it will be important to soak some of this up before looking to hit them on the break where we could end up giving them an absolute tonking. Get this right and we could be pretty comfortable before our next home game.

I agree dagbigfella
Those tactics worked well. Considering how many efforts Scunthorpe had it looked like they were told to shoot at every chance, whereas we were more clinical. Sinclair proved how good he can head an effort in.
Early in the second half a lovely cross came in towards the penalty area from the North Stand side. Shot with real accuracy and unlucky not to have been a goal.
With most of the players back from injury we look so different.
For me when Whyte came on I thought that’s a game changer.
I now feel more optimistic than I have for some time. So tight at the bottom.
Wimbledon look gone. Rochdale concede for fun so look vulnerable. But I see now Coventry could be expelled too.
Bristol Rovers are looking like they’ll stay up now too

Just back after an overnight in Oxford. Really delighted with the result, especially after that First Half. Greatly encouraged after my first sight of Sykes, skilful and with an awareness around the opposition box; he should develop nicely when he gets stuck into a full time training regime. Personally I would give Henry break when Branagan comes bac, sounds like he has had a lot on his plate with family illness. Let’s face it, the last two seasons without his goals we would have travelled even further down s**t creek than we already have done.

Any one want a Sunday night dose of bitterness?

Back
Top Bottom