Home Match Day Thread +++ 2/3/19 OUFC v Scunthorpe United Matchday Thread +++

Can you IMAGINE your club captain doing that ?

Don't think he's the club captain. In the caretaker manager's interview, he was asked who was wearing the armband in the second half because it went missing, he said it was given to that guy at half-time due to a substitution, but didn't see what happened to it.

Don't think he's the club captain. In the caretaker manager's interview, he was asked who was wearing the armband in the second half because it went missing, he said it was given to that guy at half-time due to a substitution, but didn't see what happened to it.
Fair. Still sounds like a bit of a Sarri-Kepa-gate fudge to me!

I agree but to be fair to Brannigan and Mackie I don't think they could ever be accused of a lack of effort or not battling.

Brannigan especially has been one of our better players this season. Good to finally have some competition and pace coming off bench.

I should have qualified what I posted with that we shouldn’t change things just because we have some players returning from injury and suspension. They should have to earn their right to come back in and that includes Brannigan.

Sometimes in trying to squeeze in a better player you end up disrupting the flow of the side. If Sykes is doing the business, why should he step aside for Brannigan?

I do agree that tweaks can be made and fans on here make a good case for Henry dropping to the bench for a bit but we should just be careful not to overdo it by changing for chnaging’s sake.

I think Wimbledon and Bradford are gone. Rochdale have a dire goal difference which could see them drop too. Imo we just need to better two or three sides until the end. Two big away games coming
Up against Gills and Dale.

BBC stats say 11 shots for SUFC vs 4 for us, with 6 on target vs 2 for us. I watched the game on iFollow and find those numbers surprising.
Yeah, didn’t really reflect the game. At the same time, was nice to win that way for a change when you compare it to many games this season when it was the reverse in our favour.

Shame we didn’t keep a clean sheet but looked better today and Sam Long is really starting to play well let’s hope we can keep hold of him

Just back. A good win today but for long periods of it I really didn’t see it coming. First half we were flat as a witches tit. We just looked so ponderous at times,
I think the first shot we really got away was just before the half time whistle.

But we slowly got ourselves going second half and there are few things more exciting than seeing two class act wingers leaving full-backs trailing in their wake.

The lumbering game lurched in our favour as soon as twinkle toes Whyte came on, he and Jordan Graham are simply unplayable at times and their trickery and skill gave us the lift we needed to see off a very dogged and ugly Scunthorpe side.

Dickie at the back had a cracking game and stuck to the no-nonsense stuff that is so effective.
Second half performances were much improved and I like the look of Sykes who, with a run of games could really be a gem of a player.
So pleased also for Sinclair, who really wasn’t having the best of luck in getting the chances, he stuck at the hard yards though and when those chances finally came along, he was in the right place to despatch them.

As a footnote, I for one will be very sad to see Curtis Nelson leave this summer. He is a class act that we will find hard to replace.
3 points is very welcome. Thank you very much... might have a beer tonight.

D0rAvULWwAA-ueH

Just in, thoughts, felt we were slow in starting and Scunthorpe’s no 6 & 9 caused us problems with their pace. Easty dis well in the first half, people called that a penalty that we got away with when Easty came out to collect the ball and collided with their player but nothing in it whatsoever and a point blank save when it was their palyer and the ball.
2nd half I was calling for Mackie as i felt Sinclair wasn’t doing a lot, then a bit of trickery in their box I thought hang on.
Then a young man whom like his fellow countryman no one had really heard of produced his own bit of trickery and a sublime pass for Sinclair yes I will say it again Sinclair headed his first goal for the U’s all be it a bit of an open goal no one can deny his 2nd was in a crowded 6 yard box was a bit of class, welcome Jerome Sinclair. We were doing well then a scramble in our goal mouth and as is the case they score and then squeaky bum time.
We held on to our lead and 3 very valuable points, today was not for the faint hearted.

But well done Oxford well done and thanks Jerome Sinclair.

Firstly, a lovely result. Deserved a clean sheet imo but 3 points are most welcome.

A few points:

- I understood KR's reasoning for starting with Garbutt and as the results show it was the right decision. I would stick with Garbutt, at least for next week as it is away and the emphasis will be on Gillingham to attack us.

- I may be wrong but I'm sure I saw Sam Long try to tackle a Scunny player with his head while on the ground in amongst the flying feet. Bloody brilliant if so and what commitment. :D

- Sinclair's last 2 performances highlight why new signings shouldn't be written off before they've kicked a ball. Worked tirelessly in the 1st half with little to no support. The hold up play and pass that very nearly put Sykes through was quality.

2nd half his hold up play (which was excellent overall) had an effect as the attacking players were far closer. The calmness that he took both goals with provides encouragement for the future. It is only a start but a good one nonetheless.

- Sykes showed some exciting moments today. The control and cross for Sinclair for the 1st goal was sublime. He wasn't afraid to battle and work hard which really bodes well. And he has an attacking intent about him, seems very willing to shoot/drive at the opposition defence and create something.

- The defence overall were solid, Dickie was very good today and deserves a mention especially he was in a wrestling match pretty much every time. There was the odd moment for the defence such as when Easty took their forward out early after winning the header but overall decent.

- James Henry looks a bit tired and could maybe do with a rest. Especially if his kid is still ill. He definitely improved in the 2nd half though.

- Jordan Graham definitely enjoyed the switch to the left against that right back. A masterstroke by KR in letting them sign McMahon knowing it would disrupt them when he couldn't play against us. ;):LOL:

- Credit to KR, I think he picked the right team and then made the right change with Gavin Whyte at the right time.

He got his tactics right for me. Some may have found the 1st half frustrating but keeping it tight gave us a platform for the bench to make an impact. Points are the key thing now so being difficult to breakdown is a good starting position with Whyte, Mackie, Brown, Carruthers etc to come off the bench.

Firstly, a lovely result. Deserved a clean sheet imo but 3 points are most welcome.

A few points:

- I understood KR's reasoning for starting with Garbutt and as the results show it was the right decision. I would stick with Garbutt, at least for next week as it is away and the emphasis will be on Gillingham to attack us.

- I may be wrong but I'm sure I saw Sam Long try to tackle a Scunny player with his head while on the ground in amongst the flying feet. Bloody brilliant if so and what commitment. :D

- Sinclair's last 2 performances highlight why new signings shouldn't be written off before they've kicked a ball. Worked tirelessly in the 1st half with little to no support. The hold up play and pass that very nearly put Sykes through was quality.

2nd half his hold up play (which was excellent overall) had an effect as the attacking players were far closer. The calmness that he took both goals with provides encouragement for the future. It is only a start but a good one nonetheless.

- Sykes showed some exciting moments today. The control and cross for Sinclair for the 1st goal was sublime. He wasn't afraid to battle and work hard which really bodes well. And he has an attacking intent about him, seems very willing to shoot/drive at the opposition defence and create something.

- The defence overall were solid, Dickie was very good today and deserves a mention especially he was in a wrestling match pretty much every time. There was the odd moment for the defence such as when Easty took their forward out early after winning the header but overall decent.

- James Henry looks a bit tired and could maybe do with a rest. Especially if his kid is still ill. He definitely improved in the 2nd half though.

- Jordan Graham definitely enjoyed the switch to the left against that right back. A masterstroke by KR in letting them sign McMahon knowing it would disrupt them when he couldn't play against us. ;):LOL:

- Credit to KR, I think he picked the right team and then made the right change with Gavin Whyte at the right time.

He got his tactics right for me. Some may have found the 1st half frustrating but keeping it tight gave us a platform for the bench to make an impact. Points are the key thing now so being difficult to breakdown is a good starting position with Whyte, Mackie, Brown, Carruthers etc to come off the bench.
Exactly this imo. People say they want to win ugly but then get frustrated when we play ugly.

Fantastic second half, in the "Spirit of Blackpool." They were a team that weren't brilliant but came to do a job, setting themselves up as such. Sykes had another brilliant game, as did most players. Sinclair had his effort repaid with two goals. I do like Jerome's idea of the magic hat song for him.
Next week we move onto Gillingham and another winnable game. Fans need to play their part as much as they can, so to see a Blackpool sized away turn out would be great, if not a figure nearer 1000.

Both sides looked absolutely dire in the first half though that may have been partly down to the lack of atmosphere. I thought Sykes was pretty poor in the first half - lost the ball on several occasions- but improved in the second. We have more talented players than our rivals but need to keep on getting stuck in, it’s still very close and we aren’t pulling away yet.

Back
Top Bottom