Home Match Day Thread +++ 2/3/19 OUFC v Scunthorpe United Matchday Thread +++

Need to build on the two wins with solid performances at Rochdale and Gillingham - definitely two six pointer games. If not, we'll be right back in the doggy doos!

Not really match related but apparently some idiots pulled knives on the Scunthorpe fans, anyone have info if this was true or not

Very good second half performance well done Jerome Sinclair, well done Karl Robinson, well done OUFC.

Settling down to a very welcome beer. Great result.

Before any praise can be put to the team, I think a caveat has to be made from the outset that Scunthorpe were really very bad. I feel like I’ve said this a lot this season, but they have to be the worst team I’ve seen at our place in this league yet. Utterly toothless, I thought Ojo would cause us problems after his bright opening but they proved to have absolutely nothing going forward. We matched them for poorness in the first half but turned it on after an hour.

I think starting Garbutt was something of a master stroke from KR. He made us very solid in that first hour and then Whyte came on when the game was opening up a bit and ran them ragged. I’m seeing a lot of people saying Whyte should have started but I think we need to keep it tight at the beginning of matches and then hit teams when they’re tired, as we did today.

I don’t know if I was influenced by the positive interviews from Long and Ruffels before the match but I thought they were outstanding. I’ve never been particularly impressed by Long butbhe was my MOTM today, I thought he was excellent. Changed my mind about him and must continue to start. Nelson and Dickie were also brilliant today, Dickie gets his head to absolutely everything. Rafa Marquez he ain’t and I’m not sure any of his long diagonals came off but what a defensive performance.

The most pleasing thing about Sykes and Sinclair’s performances for me were the visible respective growths in confidence each had after that first goal. Sykes started poorly but after that wonderful cross was popping up everywhere, winning 50:50s and going past people. Hopefully a sign of very exciting things to come. And Sinclair, doesn’t that just show what a goal can do for a striker. Brilliant movement and positioning for the second goal, but you could see his growth in self belief as soon as that first header went in, exemplified by his chasing a lost cause, winning the ball and then skinning his man towards the end. Tentative comparisons to Roofe’s first season were made on the radio (and, not to blow my own trumpet, but by me a little while ago on another thread) and it will be fascinating to see if he can use today as a springboard going forward.

Overall what pleased me about today (apart from the result and other results generally falling favourably for us) was the depth it showed our squad now has. Being able to bring Whyte off the bench changed the game, and, had we needed them, we also had Browne and Mackie. That’s SUCH a marked change from where we were even two months ago. We have the individual quality in our ranks that I don’t think other teams around us possess, and then thats why I think we won’t go down.

Dickie = Dunkley

Not the best of matches, but at this stage of the season and where we are it’s the result that matters. We deserved to win on our 2nd half performance. Made a difference once Whyte came on and Graham moved to the left. It’s so nice to see pacey/tricky wingers, such an outlet. Nice to see some early balls into the box, especially the Mousinho cross. Haven’t seen a goal like that in ages. I said Sinclair would score goals if he gets the right service which happened in the 2nd half. Lumping it up to him in the air against their centre halves was never going to work, but at least he put himself about.

Still a long way to go, but those two wins have helped steady the ship.

Got some crucial games coming up over the next couple of weeks, especially Bradford at home and Rochdale away!! Just hope we can climb the table and get to safety so we can hopefully enjoy the last few games of the season, but we know we always like to do it the hard way, a bit like the last few mins today. And how the hell did the referee not see that push on Long which led to their goal is beyond me!

Gillingham next, finger’s crossed we continue our the same form we’ve produced in the last two games.

Just one thing re; today, please could the fans remain calm when we’re just knocking the ball about e.g. keeping the bloody thing. I don’t care if it has to go backwards as long as we retain the ball. I’d rather that then force the ball which ultimately ends up with us losing possession. When we kept the ball in one phase in the 1st half it ended up with us opening up Scunthorpe with ease. I’d rather we played like that than hoofing the ball up field in hope, especially when you’ve only got one striker up front against big burly defenders who tend to win the ball easily.

Be patient people.

ps like the look of Sykes, got energy, trickery, pace and tends to play the simple ball when required, long may it last. And question is, would I start him against Gillingham over Brannagan? Too right I would.

Last edited:
Sam Long was in my opinion MOTM by a country mile.
Does what he's paid to do well and is prepared to cover every inch of the pitch if required.
I hope those who moaned about him getting a contract extension were at the game today to see why he got one.

Long & Sinclair were outstanding the day. Dickie & Ruffels did well and we will miss Nelson like a favourite leg.

Good result , Scunthorpe were shite.

Does what he's paid to do well and is prepared to cover every inch of the pitch if required.
I hope those who moaned about him getting a contract extension were at the game today to see why he got one.
Exactly this. Gives 100% whenever he's on the pitch. I was amazed with his commitment around the 85th minute he got tackled and went to ground and because Scunthorpe won the ball back he decided to leap of his stomach head first towards the ball. I must admit I thought he was about to take a boot to the head.

He's better then Hanson because he doesn't over complicate things and does the simple things really well.

I was going to write a bit of analysis of the match, but really I think I don't care who played well, who didn't or whether the managers team selection was a good one. Or not.

I'm just glad we got the three points, and TBH if they have to bore me to death for periods but manage to get enough points to send some other poor buggers down then that's good enough for me this season.

By a country mile? Seriously?
Sinclair, Graham, Dickie were very good as was Long. Nobody was MOM by a mile but in my view you have to give it to Sinclair

First of all it's about opinions
Sinclair scored 2 goals
Dickie I agree was very good and as was mentioned on Radio Oxford after the game. He's pretty much a rough diamond but there is one in there
For me Graham was good but not anywhere near his normal performances.
I think the P**s poor heavy and overwatered pitch didn't help him.
Must also give out a shout for Sykes who looks like he could be a hell of a player. Just needs to bulk himself a bit
I just hope we can keep Gavin Whyte on the books for next season.

Here’s my take on today....

Terrible first half - luckily so were Scunthorpe!

We upped our game massively the second half and Scunthorpe didn’t.

Their right back was very decent. Great prospect as he looked vey young.

Very pleased for Sinclair as playing up front in his own is not easy.

Sam Long was steady, however (and I realise this might not go down well with some on here!), if you want to progress in this league you need more than just steady. That’s the hard facts for me. Love that he’s one of our own though and a player and fan. Good squad player so totally understand why new contract was offered. I would always choose him ahead of Hanson!

Atmosphere dead and so sad not to see the flags anymore in east stand. Over the years I have grown to dislike the stadium more and more which is very sad.

Here’s my take on today....

Terrible first half - luckily so were Scunthorpe!

We upped our game massively the second half and Scunthorpe didn’t.

Their right back was very decent. Great prospect as he looked vey young.

Very pleased for Sinclair as playing up front in his own is not easy.

Sam Long was steady, however (and I realise this might not go down well with some on here!), if you want to progress in this league you need more than just steady. That’s the hard facts for me. Love that he’s one of our own though and a player and fan. Good squad player so totally understand why new contract was offered. I would always choose him ahead of Hanson!

Atmosphere dead and so sad not to see the flags anymore in east stand. Over the years I have grown to dislike the stadium more and more which is very sad.

Not right back...left back!

Ultimately a satisfying win after a stultifying first half . Three stood out for me :

Dickie has responded very well since he was dropped.

Ruffles extraordinarily consistent - my player of the season.

Sinclair looking like a very good signing, quick and strong

Scunny were worse L1 team I’ve seen all season; generally clueless orcs.

Best moment of season today. Mousinho’s cross. His legs are slowly going but he plays with his brain. I hope we renew his contract.

Really enjoyed that second half. Sykes was sublime at times. Sinclair looked assured and Whyte ran things when he came on.

Pretty damn happy really.

Why would you play Graham on the right? as soon as he switched sides we started creating chances.
Robinson's later substitutions put us under pressure.
Without Sinclair to hold the ball up we conceded and looked shaky for the remaining three minutes.
Sinclair did well all game. Couple of great pieces of skill.

Back
Top Bottom