Away Match Day Thread +++ 2/11/19 Portsmouth V OUFC +++

And that’s why you don’t take off a goalscorer like Marty Taylor. This isn’t a dig at him but you wouldn’t see Jamie Mackie scoring that I don’t think.

Overall we were poor but part of the blame has to go to the windy conditions, the awful ref and the injury to Ruffels which unsettled our defence. Too many players had bad games though and we rarely got going with our usual slick passing. We definitely looked tired and jaded.

Overall definitely a point that I’d happily take and move on
It was good to hear that Jerome spoke to his radio Solent colleague who said that was the best Pompey have played this season oh and it’s Matty not Marty ?

Not seen it mentioned yet, but KR’s double sub changed the game. We’d been proper pegged back before that, and the fresh legs caused Pompey to back off. While neither did anything obviously outstanding, they gave us a boost right when we needed it. Plus, taking off Fosu, who looked dead on his feet but still capable of a moment of magic, off instead of the generally poor but fresher Sykes was a gamble, but one that paid off handsomely.

We’ve had some shocking refereeing performances this season, but for me that was comfortably the worst. Both sides being awarded and denied ridiculous free kicks and dead balls. He’s very lucky both managers also obviously told their players to cool off at half time because he’d lost control of that game first half.

Finally, a word on Long and Dickie in that second half, who I think did a pretty solid job considering the conditions and the general lack of protection in front of them from our knackered midfield.

Slightly off topic, but I believe Paul Tisdale has been sacked by MK Dons.

In context, I'd say that's one of our best results this season. Massive credit to KR for somehow pulling that off

Surely it must have been down to Gary Parker, the player committee, or luck? It couldn't possibly be down to KR who is too stubborn to change formation or alter a game?! ?

In context, I'd say that's one of our best results this season. Massive credit to KR for somehow pulling that off

I'd agree. Against that opposition, in that atmosphere, with our squad in that condition, it's a very good result.

Now we get to take a few weeks away from league competition to regroup, get some of the fatigue out the legs, and attack December's fixtures.

Last 12 fixtures in all competitions: WDWWWDDWWWDD

Think we can make it to Christmas with no L? ;)

Great point. Given the injuries, and the general fatigue, I'd have taken that before the game.....but the way the game played out, it was an even better achievement grabbing it.

Although Pompey clearly don't have the foggiest how to win a game of football. They were comfortably the better side for 70 minutes - but then seemed to get nervous, backed off and let us come at them......after a barrage of corners, they seemed to have weathered the storm, but then failed to keep possession in the corners when they could have, and gave us the space to score a (admittedly cracking) goal.

Great effort from everyone who had to play out of position, but have to say - Rob Dickie; possibly the best CB in the league. Not the best RB in the league! Fingers crossed we have Cadden and/or Ruffels back for Southend.

Considering the injuries/fatigue throughout the squad, the conditions (which seemed to suit Portsmouth's style of play much more than ours) and the forced adjustments to the defence (the Dickster looked mightily uncomfortable at RB) that was a bloody good point. Man alive Matty Taylor scores some incredibly satisfying goals. Sign him on.

Also special mention goes to Forde. We improved significantly after he was introduced.

Certainly not at our best today, but dug deep enough to deserve a point. Unless they perform better than that, there is no way Pompey will be up there at the end of the season.
I think that is as deep as we can dig, without at least a couple of players coming back. A free hit next week when Baptiste, Hall, Ageyi, Moore, Forde, possibly Jones could start, along with Sykes and Long, to get a further chance to impress before the injured players come back.
Fantastic support today, surprised there wasn't the usual rent a mob in their corner. As for them claiming it was a sell out, each stand had lots of spare seats.
Good to catch up with an Oxford legend and the Prince of Porchester, after a number of years as well.

Not sure Long needs a further chance to impress, but I hope Ruffels gets fit soon after that murder attempt.

Horrible day out redeemed by a superb finish from Marty Tyler. Lovely.

Poor for rotherham. Great away point today looked a very dodgy pen

Back
Top Bottom