FA Cup 1st round draw- tomorrow night

Sarge

God like member
As per it has for a few seasons now- the FAcup 1st round draw takes place tomorrow evening

As well as the mighty U's in the hat, there's also Oxford City & Banbury Utd too

A few Sunday morning random thoughts...

Wonder if, should any two of those three get drawn against each other, it might be also a round of the Oxford Senior Cup simultaneously? :unsure: ;)

Of course , its conceivable that either City or Banbury Utd could be drawn against Scum
which could be interesting if either Shire club draw em at home :sneaky:

Giver Scum's owner/ part owner ( was that ever investigated properly?) Power was formerly involved at Banbury Utd prior to taking control at the skip , that would be a spicy draw- especially with Beano at BUFC these days as player/ assistant coach

If The U's draw Banbury and Beano plays for them, and nets two OG's would that ( finally) see him recognised officially as the U's all time highest goalscorer (after the folding of Chesterfied, and his hat-trick in that game- competitive when played- expunged too, by the powers that be at the FA- after all the fa cup is an FA competition- for now)

Does the, if a club cannot fulfil a fixture, they forfeit 'rule' apply to the FA Cup ? - If it does
I'd quite like the U's be drawn against Crewe ( or maybe Scum)

As always with the FA Cup first and second rounds, you want a winnable tie. The prize money is lower but not to be sniffed at - there’s barely any actual prize money to play for anywhere else!

That said, it’s not the big sides devaluing this competition this year, it’s COVID. No potential visits to tiny non-league grounds, the prospect of a ‘money spinner’ at Anfield or Old Trafford being non-existent with no fans going in or hauling a beatable lower PL side to the Kassam to be an upset.

It’s hard to get too enthusiastic about the FA Cup this year. The powers that be probably want us to think that, just not for the reasons I’ve listed above.

Not interested in any cups, we'll probably get players injured, exhausted from league games as well
fair point... though we've had too many injuries in just a handful of league games already this season

and we're out of the league cup too

(IMO) a run in the FA cup ( the only proper competition the U's are currently 'in'- albeit devalued again for this seasons competition,( with no replays?- or extra time? -if memory serves? ), could help with both continuity, help with getting players fit for the league as they come back from injury clocking up real match minutes, and , as the FA cup has prize money for the winner of each round, a few quid in the bank should we progress.

As per it has for a few seasons now- the FAcup 1st round draw takes place tomorrow evening

As well as the mighty U's in the hat, there's also Oxford City & Banbury Utd too

A few Sunday morning random thoughts...

Wonder if, should any two of those three get drawn against each other, it might be also a round of the Oxford Senior Cup simultaneously? :unsure: ;)

Of course , its conceivable that either City or Banbury Utd could be drawn against Scum
which could be interesting if either Shire club draw em at home :sneaky:

Giver Scum's owner/ part owner ( was that ever investigated properly?) Power was formerly involved at Banbury Utd prior to taking control at the skip , that would be a spicy draw- especially with Beano at BUFC these days as player/ assistant coach

If The U's draw Banbury and Beano plays for them, and nets two OG's would that ( finally) see him recognised officially as the U's all time highest goalscorer (after the folding of Chesterfied, and his hat-trick in that game- competitive when played- expunged too, by the powers that be at the FA- after all the fa cup is an FA competition- for now)

Does the, if a club cannot fulfil a fixture, they forfeit 'rule' apply to the FA Cup ? - If it does
I'd quite like the U's be drawn against Crewe ( or maybe Scum)
Chester ...folded 2009 - https://oxblogger.co.uk/2019/12/24/midweek-fixture-james-constable-the-making-of-a-legend/

fair point... though we've had too many injuries in just a handful of league games already this season

and we're out of the league cup too

(IMO) a run in the FA cup ( the only proper competition the U's are currently 'in'- albeit devalued again for this seasons competition,( with no replays?- or extra time? -if memory serves? ), could help with both continuity, help with getting players fit for the league as they come back from injury clocking up real match minutes, and , as the FA cup has prize money for the winner of each round, a few quid in the bank should we progress.
Can't argue with that

Notts County forfeited so I`m guessing that is the FA Cup "rule", don`t field a team lose the tie?

Rescheduled/Postponed Games (c) If the competing Clubs are not able to play the match at the ground of the Home Club on the scheduled or agreed date, due to COVID-19 or for any other reason, the Clubs can agree to (i) play the match at the ground of the Away Club on the original date or (ii) postpone or reschedule the match (to be played at the ground of either the Home Club or the Away Club) to another date in the Weekend Window or Weekday Window (as appropriate) provided that in each case the consent of The Association has been obtained. if the Clubs cannot agree on a date for the postponed or rescheduled match, the default date is the last day in the Weekend Window or Weekday Window.
(d) if the Clubs are not able to reschedule and play the match on a date in the Weekend Window or Weekday Window, the Clubs will have no further opportunity to reschedule the match. If one Club is not able (or willing) to compete in the match during the Weekend Window or Weekday Window, that Club will be deemed to have forfeited the match and withdrawn from the Competition and, subject to Rule 35, its opponent shall be deemed eligible to participate in the next round of the Competition. If both Clubs are not able (or willing) to compete in the match during the Weekend 9 Window or Weekday Window (as applicable), both Clubs will be deemed to have forfeited the match and withdrawn from the Competition and, subject to Rule 35, there will be one bye in the next round of the Competition.

If we draw Banbury, away, I think they are allowed a crowd.
But if it is at home, I assume a crowd will not be allowed?

If I was still living in London, and Covid wasn't a thing, I would have been rooting for Cray Valley Paper Mills F.C. way:

1) Team from the eighth tier....
2) ......that's local and easy to get to (for someone like me who lived in South London!)....
3) ......who have a ground that sounds hilariously garden shed-like, with a capacity of 1000 (so we could fill it).....
4) ......and a wondrously 19th century-sounding name!

However I now live 4000 miles away, and none's going to the game anyway, so best just to get a home draw against the lowest possible minnows.

The only way that the FA Cup makes you any significant money this year is if you get through a few rounds, and then get a big TV date against one of the giants in a later round........

Back
Top Bottom