Status
Not open for further replies.
First half led to this.....
Three options....
1. Watch the second half.
2. Do the ironing (huge pile of!)
3. Bath & bed.

Vote now! :)

I watched, MrsEYMk2 done the ironing and then 3.

Winning at life!

Would have liked to see a front two of Dan & Taylor against their backline, maybe that is too "traditional" compared to the modern game?
Barring the goals, there was little of note, summed up well by Taylor winning the ball near the halfway line, playing it forward to himself, and getting stuck on the edge of the box with nobody to pass to!
However teams that win games get points........ even when its ugly.

I think going forward we look dangerous but the defence is quite worrying imo we look so powderpuff long needs to up his game Moore looks good going forward but again I’d expect a bit more from him thorniley I’m not convinced yet jury still out on him Seddon started the season really good but seems to lost confidence or I dunno anyway after saying that we got a clean sheet and scored 2 happy days

Lacked fluency for large parts but were comfortable against probably the worst team we have faced.

Sykes has to play on current form. He’s been our best player to date this season and was MOM again tonight.

We look a more solid unit with Gorrin + 2 in the midfield.

Slightly disappointing crowd tonight - less than 5500 Ox fans. What does the club need to do, in order to re-engage the casual fans?

To be fair, we were struggling to get that at some weekend matches back in League Two. You're going to struggle to re-engage the casuals on a wet October night, when there's CL on the box.

I thought the first half was dreadful from both teams. At various times during that 45 both teams got on top for a bit, but it was feeble stuff.

It was noticeable how as soon as the second half started we were moving with a bit more urgency and we managed to get into second gear while Shrewsbury (who, on that showing, are going to have a very tough season) didn't. Sykes showed his worth, but how that shot/cross/pass went in I will never know! Glad Brannagan scored because he missed a couple of much easier ones.

There is still lots to concern us I think. The movement off the ball was very poor (especially in the first half), the passing was of a very low standard and poor old Taylor had very little to work with. We needed to start the game at a higher tempo, and I'd still like to see a player taking his defender rather than turning around and passing it backwards.

It's a game we will have forgotten in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Please KR stop playing Whyte on the left. He's a traditional kick it and run winger, who wants to get to the byline. Sykes/Holland are much better at cutting inside and building attacks through one-two's.

The other thing I noticed with Whyte on the left is how often Sedden makes a run into a more central position, rather than overlap. When he does this Whyte then drops even further back into a left wing back position, which is absolute madness. He's not often going to the byline if he's further forward on the left wing, let alone if he's back closer to left back. This has to be something they've worked on and I've no idea why.

Either play him on the right or don't bother. Holland is much more comfortable on the left, and on the basis of last night so is Sykes.

Think we’re still missing that type of midfielder that can drive forward with the ball and skip pass players. Baptiste was very good at this as was McGuane in his pomp. Brannigan and Kane are excellent but think the ball carrying midfielder is the missing link at the moment and would compliment those two.

I thought Sykes was clear man of the match last night, he was absolutely full of running and so tenacious. I also thought both Thorniley and Moore had good games. It was so quiet up there last night I could hear both of them (especially Moore) organising and encouraging the rest of the team.

I thought Sykes was clear man of the match last night, he was absolutely full of running and so tenacious. I also thought both Thorniley and Moore had good games. It was so quiet up there last night I could hear both of them (especially Moore) organising and encouraging the rest of the team.

Sykes was indeed excellent and is having a fine season. I’ve been a silent critic of his in the past, but his end product is really showing now as we all hoped it would. Hopefully he’ll sign a new contract soon.

Please KR stop playing Whyte on the left. He's a traditional kick it and run winger, who wants to get to the byline. Sykes/Holland are much better at cutting inside and building attacks through one-two's.
I feel like every fan can see this but Karl somehow can't.

Sykes was MotM for sure. Given the back 4 is pretty poor (Moore and Thorniley both 'cleared' the ball into space just outside the box a few times, and Seddon was invisible, Long wasn't at his best but he bailed out the CBs a couple of times with headers). Gorrin & Sykes make a huge difference supporting the defence. Whyte must only play on the right and Taylor is a class act, our best player by a country mile on the games I've seen this season.

Lacked fluency for large parts but were comfortable against probably the worst team we have faced.

Sykes has to play on current form. He’s been our best player to date this season and was MOM again tonight.

We look a more solid unit with Gorrin + 2 in the midfield.

Slightly disappointing crowd tonight - less than 5500 Ox fans. What does the club need to do, in order to re-engage the casual fans?
Worryingly for me we missed lots of chances while its great on the other hand we are still creating even while not on top form .
Jan really needs a balancing act with Winnall, Bodin , One or two other right sided players need to go and replace with a centre forward to offer something different to Matty T , an actual left sided midfielder/ winger and cover at left back .
Gorrin has to play to add stability to the midfield , missed him against Plym .
Success will bring crowds , 4 places higher and an extra 500 fans .
Big big January coming up .

Worryingly for me we missed lots of chances while its great on the other hand we are still creating even while not on top form .
Jan really needs a balancing act with Winnall, Bodin , One or two other right sided players need to go and replace with a centre forward to offer something different to Matty T , an actual left sided midfielder/ winger and cover at left back .
I'm not sure how possible it is to offload Winnall mate. I think he's on a decent wage packet and every other club will do their due diligence and realise his legs have gone.

Moore has a bigger part to play from the back.
He sometimes picks the ball up deep between the strikers and all to often ships the ball out to the flanks early when he has yards to run into. Once he steps through, the opposition strikers don’t want to follow him and their midfielders don’t want to step out of position to close him down. As soon as the midfielders do finally come to engage him then that is the time to pass it because he has drawn them out. I am all for passing quickly but Sometimes, just that run with it into midfield can open things up further ahead.

Moore has a bigger part to play from the back.
He sometimes picks the ball up deep between the strikers and all to often ships the ball out to the flanks early when he has yards to run into. Once he steps through, the opposition strikers don’t want to follow him and their midfielders don’t want to step out of position to close him down. As soon as the midfielders do finally come to engage him then that is the time to pass it because he has drawn them out. I am all for passing quickly but Sometimes, just that run with it into midfield can open things up further ahead.

I agree and it's something that both Atkinson and Dickie gave us in previous years. I think one of our best chances in the first half (it may have been Taylor's disallowed goal) came from Moore stepping out and playing it down the right. It's the right thing to be doing when the opposition midfield is sat back and compacted.

Another thing I'd like the centre backs to do is hit longer balls. There were times last night where it went from Moore to Thorniley to Seddon (and the other direction to Long), when really I think the pass was on for Moore to loft over their striker straight to Seddon. I appreciate it's a higher risk pass but it's still a nice big area to hit and I expect Moore and Thorniley can both make it. It'd then give the full back that extra space to run into with the ball and get us further up the pitch whilst giving us the opportunity to double up on their full back.

Yes I agree, we have too many wingers and am sure we'll shed at least one. It would be good to see a left-sided attacking midfielder as an alternative to a pure winger, someone like Obita or Garbutt - or could McGuane play that role. I suspect Winnall will be paid off.

Yes I agree, we have too many wingers and am sure we'll shed at least one. It would be good to see a left-sided attacking midfielder as an alternative to a pure winger, someone like Obita or Garbutt - or could McGuane play that role. I suspect Winnall will be paid off.
If only Forde or Williams were left footed !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom