Away Match Day Thread +++ 19:10/19 L1 Rotherham United v OUFC +++

Just watching the iFollow extended highlights:

On the potential Cadden handball on the line, it looks like he slices it against his own hand so my understanding of the rewritten handball rule, the Ref got that spot on as clearly accidental.

On other disciplinary decisions, Henry got lucky as to me he clearly kicked out and it looked more over his frustration at miscontrolling the ball, rather than anything the Rotherham defender did.

Some of those highlights showed how strong Fosu can be on the ball. Outstanding.

Their keeper made some outstanding saves. But I bet Matty Taylor will rue the one where he hit it at chest height rather than into the ground. Although I'm sure he will console himself with a good header for his goal.

For the first goal, obviously a superb strike by Fosu but I would also like to praise Cam Bran for winning the ball in a dangerous area and capitalising on it, just superb as well.

Edit: And a pity iFollow didn't show the minutes' applause (or at least mention them) for Womble and the young Rotherham fan as it shows the psoitive respect football fans and the community they create can have.

Last edited:
Moore has improved a lot in recent weeks, to the point where I had no concerns about him stepping in for Dickie yesterday.

However, I think he'll always be held back by his physique, as he's not an athletic 6ft 5in player, he's actually quite gangly, which will always affect his mobility and speed, so whilst I'm happy to have him here as a competent squad player, with Mous nearing the end of his career, Dickie (inevitably) destined to move on to a higher level, and Jones very young and inexperienced, we will need to prioritise a couple of CB next summer transfer window, especially if we're playing in the Championship!

Although if we do go up, hopefully Dickie will want to stay!

But the fact that clubs from higher leagues are paying so much attention to our players shows the great progress we've made on and off the pitch, and that our players, manager, board, and recruitment team are doing a great job.

After a few frustrating seasons, it's exciting times again, on and off the pitch, and I'm loving every minute of it!

COYY

Just watching the iFollow extended highlights:

On the potential Cadden handball on the line, it looks like he slices it against his own hand so my understanding of the rewritten handball rule, the Ref got that spot on as clearly accidental.

On other disciplinary decisions, Henry got lucky as to me he clearly kicked out and it looked more over his frustration at miscontrolling the ball, rather than anything the Rotherham defender did.

Some of those highlights showed how strong Fosu can be on the ball. Outstanding.

Their keeper made some outstanding saves. But I bet Matty Taylor will rue the one where he hit it at chest height rather than into the ground. Although I'm sure he will console himself with a good header for his goal.

For the first goal, obviously a superb strike by Fosu but I would also like to praise Cam Bran for winning the ball in a dangerous area and capitalising on it, just superb as well.

Edit: And a pity iFollow didn't show the minutes' applause (or at least mention them) for Womble and the young Rotherham fan as it shows the psoitive respect football fans and the community they create can have.

Yes Brannigan made a great tackle to regain possession, as did Ruffles for the 2nd goal if I recall

On Moore, he looks more than capable from the minutes he has had.

I had a recruitment guy ask me about Dickie - he reckons he is now worth 1.5mill upwards...but his passing and ball carrying has gone through the roof. Moore, in some respects will be the Dickie replacement in 12months (if he goes) however I understand we had been after Moore for a while.

The additions we made in the summer have all had an impact on the squad - along with bringing out the best of those we already had. Gorrin makes Dickie and Brannagan look great, Henry’s link up with Cadden is invaluable and Fosu (in terms of output) is beyond Whyte.

The obvious challenge is maintaining this through the season, however I’m sure we will already have players lined up for most scenarios. Even spend some ££££ on league 2 talent?

Yes, altho Whyte was frighteningly fast, his finishing wasn’t a patch on Fosu’s

This is a key point for me. We were all, I think, panicking in the summer, especially in that week when we lost Whyte. But really, have ANY of our signings turned out to be flops? Moore has arguably failed to live up to expectations a bit, but I'd like to see what our coaching staff can do with him after the dramatic transformation we've seen in Dickie. Cadden, Gorrin, Taylor have all improved the team, and Fosu, while a slightly different type of winger to Whyte, has more than replaced him, and even perhaps adds more in terms of end product. Forde and Berkoe have looked useful, it's too early to tell with Agyei but he looks quick and strong, and Thorne was a calculated risk that it doesnt seem will pay off, but also looked superb when he played against West Ham. I trust more of the same in January.

Moore made a great statement yesterday, definitely proved himself.
He scores as well, I think he has at least 3. Pretty good for a player who has only stated a handful of games

Sykes. Really like him, have done since he arrived, skilful on the ball, particularly good against West Ham.

But yesterday he got shoved off the ball far to easily, almost every time. To his credit, he always chased hard after his man and on at least two occasions got the ball back again. But I'm beginning to see why Karl thought a loan move might be good for him.

Otherwise, great game and the friends I took, who live in Sheffield, were very impressed. I am daring to dream.

Fantastic win. I actually thought we’d do well to get a draw. I should have more faith and for that I apologise. COYY!!

Great win. Thought we were in control of that game. Once again Easty is looking dodgy on crosses. Enjoying watching us at the moment, lets all hope it continues.

Sykes. Really like him, have done since he arrived, skilful on the ball, particularly good against West Ham.

But yesterday he got shoved off the ball far to easily, almost every time. To his credit, he always chased hard after his man and on at least two occasions got the ball back again. But I'm beginning to see why Karl thought a loan move might be good for him.
He’s needed a solid stone of muscle since he arrived. Even at Brackley in preseason he was a little lacking. We’d barely signed anyone at that point and had a load of teens playing, but he was the only player of ours who didn’t look a yard sharper / faster than the Brackley players. Everyone else could skip past or around them and kept the ball, and he kept getting tackled and giving the ball away. Let me just say that I don’t say this to trash the guy or write him off by any means, he does have the odd moment and has had some good games, but I think he’s our ‘weakest’ midfielder and have always agreed that in theory a loan spell in L2 with some regular football would’ve probably been best to see where he’s at / get him up to speed. Absolutely can’t knock his effort and he was only playing part time ten months ago, so he’s still going to need time to develop and grow.

If you need an interpreter let me know & before anyone says it I'm aware I'm a fat ugly git.

Cheers for the vid, nice vlog style.

Must say it's a breath of fresh air having an opposition fan come onto YF 'in peace' and not turn into a bit of a prick so thanks for the input on here and the other thread.

Hopefully see you at Grenoble Road for the return fixture, I'm sure you'll be up and around the play off places this year.

Fantastic to see Fosu's goal from the home end...what a shot that was! No keeper would have saved that, but it looked as though their keeper had got close to it on our highlights. No way!

I was amused that he couldn't understand why other Rotherham fans were applauding the goal, probably for the same reason he said, to paraphrase, the keeper had no chance. Also, nice to see Easty's save in the 2nd half.

Back
Top Bottom