Home Match Day Thread 19/09/20 L1 - OUFC v Sunderland

Gorrin could be back in a few games time if the initial assessment is still correct. Will be like a new signing!
The emphasis in your post is “ in a few games time “ how many games do we call a few? It’s not a dig but it’s a case of “ now “ we need that sorted now.

Last edited:
I guess KR would say we haven’t finished recruiting yet. But I don’t know why we always have to leave it so late or bring in unfit players. KR sometimes tries to be too clever with his diamonds in the rough and crocks that he can redeem, but he would point to last seasons success as proof that it can work out.

We’ve not scored a goal in two league games. Not the centre back’s fault.

A team consists of 11 players, when did we start blaming individual players for our troubles.
Equally you could say, it's not a strikers fault when a goal is conceded?

We've lost mous, Atkinson is a rookie learning the game and Moore is also still learning, it is imperative we get not just cover but a big, ugly CB to take over the area with Moore as his partner.

A team consists of 11 players, when did we start blaming individual players for our troubles.
Equally you could say, it's not a strikers fault when a goal is conceded?

We've lost mous, Atkinson is a rookie learning the game and Moore is also still learning, it is imperative we get not just cover but a big, ugly CB to take over the area with Moore as his partner.

Well if we’d lost both games 5-4 and our two strikers had scored 8 goals in two games but people were saying ‘we badly need another striker!’ then I’d be questioning that, yes

Well if we’d lost both games 5-4 and our two strikers had scored 8 goals in two games but people were saying ‘we badly need another striker!’ then I’d be questioning that, yes

It's simple, we have lost two games, and have 2 CB's to fill 2 spaces, with no real credible back up, neither of whom would have been first choice in the days of Dickie and Nelson. Therefore you could argue we need 2 CB's, but that's unrealistic considering the other positions that need filling.

Even our "recruitment team" who aren't currently hitting the target, could come up with a few suggestions, especially as the window closing creeps up on players without a team.

To contemplate leaving the status quo, would be as ridiculous as the way we played yesterday.

Sykes left wing? No thank you

Not saying he has to play left wing, so may be in behind Taylor/Agyei etc. Just need a few players who have energy which Sykes has even though he’s not 100% fit.

I’d even consider dropping Henry, but not sure who to swop him out for?

It's simple, we have lost two games, and have 2 CB's to fill 2 spaces, with no real credible back up, neither of whom would have been first choice in the days of Dickie and Nelson. Therefore you could argue we need 2 CB's, but that's unrealistic considering the other positions that need filling.

Even our "recruitment team" who aren't currently hitting the target, could come up with a few suggestions, especially as the window closing creeps up on players without a team.

To contemplate leaving the status quo, would be as ridiculous as the way we played yesterday.
id say Moore is better than Nelson.

Right now feels just like last season we’re playing catch up. I’m quite sure KR will get us playing eventually but right now it’s a mess. it doesn’t matter how you dress it up or how “glass half full“ one is. it is another terrible start. Not in terms of results because it’s only two games in but from they way we are playing and the current outlook.

one thing that continues to dumfound me is KR insistence on bucking all medical and sports science theory by forcing the players to over stress themselves in preseason. He has this weird idea that he knows better than nearly every sports science paper ever written! Playing through fatigue is utter crap and only leads to over stress and injuries. Over stress of a muscle, for example working it too hard too soon after a previous exertion only leads to muscle breakdown and increased risk of injury. Even those supposedly fit players will still be feeling our stupid pre season. Even shorty doesn’t agree with it but still it goes on.
As players get older it’s even worse because the recovery phase is extended. Watching us play I’m quite sure some of our players are knackered already.

just looking through our squad:

Moore - Solid 8
Mous - where he come from? Couldn’t get near our first team last season, well not when we were playing well. 6
Clare - is a winger if you ask me. Full back 3 winger maybe 6-7.
Ruffles - 6-7 can’t stop a cross but is okay.
Long - 6-7 much the same as Ruffles, okay.
Atkinson - Young and inexperienced so is going to flit from 5 to 10.

Gorrn - injured, big loss 8-10
Cam - Solid 8-10.
Sykes - I don’t know what he is? He’s not a winger but not much of an attacking midfielder either. Sort of a half way between Gorrin and Cam but with less impact? 3-8
Forde - great game against Watford. Can he do that every week? 3-10.
Cooper - young, new countr, new club it’s going to take time. 5-10.
McGuane - must be injured? How can he go from that preseason to a player who might as well not be on the pitch? 2-9
Hanson - who? 0-1
Napa - injured for a long time and showed signs of being good before. But ready for the first team? 3-9?
Kelly - one good half since he came here. 3

Hall - please get fit and playing for goodness sake. We need him now more than ever. Looked great against Watford. 5-10?
Taylor - lost up front in a team that creates little. Sold 10 on his day but no all on his own.
Winnall - could be awesome but still not ready 3-10
Henry - somethings up. Not played well since before lockdown. Playing like Covid-19 has affected his lungs. 3
Agyei. - needs games. I’m not sure even he knows what he’s going to do with the ball 5
Asonganyi- who knows? 3-10?

too many maybes, mights and could be‘s for my liking

Like I said transfer window open and time to sort things out but that should be done in preseason If you want or start well.
Lincoln played 7 new players against us and are top of the league and beat higher opposition in the cup. It’s not about gelling it’s not about systems it’s about having good players who know what they're doing. Biggest mistake this club made in recent times was letting Mapp go.

Changing formation was a disaster IMO. The players seemed to have no idea on shape, positioning, movement etc. I hear it was "the only formation we could play with the players we had available", yet the starting 11 would comfortably fit into the 4-3-3 that brought us success last season. And to try it against a Sunderland team who will probably be in and around the playoffs come the end of the season was also a huge gamble.

Back to 4-3-3 next game please Robbo, stick to what we know, stick to what the players know.

Eastwood/Stevens
Clare Atkinson Moore Long
Mcguane Brannagan Sykes
Agyei Taylor Cooper

Slot Osei into the front 3 depending on fitness levels, or you can even add Sykes up there and add Kelly back into midfield.

Too many passengers last game, time for Henry to sit out and I would say the same to Clare but we are struggling for replacements there. Let's have Cam back in the deep role dictacting play and keeping the ball for us, it's what he does best.

If I was manager that would be my changes... but then again there's a reason I never got further than playing football manager :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom