Home Match Day Thread +++ 19/04/2019 OUFC v Charlton Athletic Match Day Thread +++

In today's episode of the Darren Drysdale show, the plucky lower league official made it up as he went along, merrily waving his hands around in a nonsensical manner to ensure all of the paying punters knew his name by the end of the game and had an opinion on his performance. Darren deeply cares about his legacy and to be like Cheers, where everyone knows his name.

Bio:
Darren aspires to be Mike Dean, his true idol in life. He spends his spare time practising his Mike Dean gestures in various Travel Lodges and Premier Inns across England by getting his red and yellow card action just right, and the perfect posture on his play on signals. Darren is single and lives at home with his Mum.

If a centre-back handles the ball on the edge of the box, it's a free-kick and at most, a yellow card.

Should be absolutely no different for a keeper leaving the box, particularly when like in Easty's case it's a misjudgement.

In the event of the ‘keeper cynically depriving a striker of a fair chance at goal, then that in itself should be considered on its merits.

Today was quite clearly a narcissistic referee thinking to himself “Oooooohhhhh, I know an obscure rule, look at meeeeeeeee”...

The punishment today clearly didn't fit the crime.

Absolute B*****s. Eastwood made a massive error handling well outside his box. That's a red card so the ref has to give it, he can't choose to ignore the rules on a whim, would the people who think it was wrong (not just aimed at you here as there's been a few) still feel the same if it were the other way round?

If anything at first look their red seemed harsh, he was close to it though so maybe it was worse than it looked from the stands.

As for the game, a very good performance in the circumstances we were presented with. The dive for their penalty was top draw, well done Joe Aribo. What did they create in open play today? Not a whole lot, more interested in falling over and getting free kicks.

The team played at a high tempo today and we really are hard to breakdown with the players we have out there. I'm chuffed for "Garbage" who has comprehensively shut his detractors up. He may not be a flashy winger, but the quality he brings and the team work he does, makes him a very good player. Just sad the form didn't happen 6 months ago. A cracking free kick and corner, and Nelson's finish was top draw.

It's a shame the Ref's performance will detract from what was an absolutely cracking game of football.

because he didn't deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity as we played on and had a shot on goal.
But if he had stopped the game, he'd have had to send him off. The rule is idiotic and incentivises players to do what the Charlton player did, because you may not get sent off and get away with it. Which defeats the whole point of punishing players in a consistent manner.

Absolute B*****s. Eastwood made a massive error handling well outside his box. That's a red card so the ref has to give it, he can't choose to ignore the rules on a whim, would the people who think it was wrong (not just aimed at you here as there's been a few) still feel the same if it were the other way round?

If anything at first look their red seemed harsh, he was close to it though so maybe it was worse than it looked from the stands.

Kindly note that the post to which I was replying was inviting opinions on whether Eastwood SHOULD have been sent off, and I had the temerity (!) to give mine.

My point endures...if it were a defender accidentally handling, there is no “the ref had to give it”, is there? So tell me why should it be so for the keeper? Eastwood was daft, sure - but cheating Taylor out of a goalscoring opportunity? I think not.

still feel the same if it were the other way round?

Yes (see above). I’m a fan of football first, and of fair punishment for transgressions. I’m not a fan of pedants.

If a centre-back handles the ball on the edge of the box, it's a free-kick and at most, a yellow card.

Should be absolutely no different for a keeper leaving the box, particularly when like in Easty's case it's a misjudgement.

In the event of the ‘keeper cynically depriving a striker of a fair chance at goal, then that in itself should be considered on its merits.

Today was quite clearly a narcissistic referee thinking to himself “Oooooohhhhh, I know an obscure rule, look at meeeeeeeee”...

The punishment today clearly didn't fit the crime.
And how many deliberate handballs have we seen by opposition that get just a yellow card?

... and that is how to deal with a team who thought that they could come here and dominate us.
Sensational game with so much to commend.
We were just so solid, yet dangerous.
We were a proper team today from back to front. A team with a spirit undiminished by conceding the early goal.
Nelson was named man of the match but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who didn’t have a claim on it today.
For me, Sam Long was immense.
A player who has had to keep his dream of playing for our club alive in the face of serious injury and false dawns to arrive at last into the light of appreciation. What a player we have.
Sinclair and Mackie, hard yards boys. Hard yards that make the difference. A team... At last, a team. Well done every last one of you. Proud to support this club.

Suprised to see from the BBC stats that we were out shot by 20 to 7 and 6 vs 3 on target.

Last edited:
Agree about referee Drysdale - it was all about him.

But I don’t want to make this all about him because that would detract from a magnificent U’s performance
against a very good side. Talk about application and determination and a bit of quality.

We look like a top six team. Robinson getting a shift from all his players. Doing a great job at OX4.

Just got back. What a game! Ironically if we’d had a more competent and, dare I say it, more impartial ref, it probably wouldn’t have been half as entertaining. He certainly made a rod for his own back with his antics. As for us, I came away feeling optimistic about the future of OUFC. The unity and heart shown by the squad, epitomised by another gargantuan Nelson display, and the atmosphere from the terraces at the end just shows no matter what, we’ll never be unbowed, no matter what shenanigans is thrown at us off the pitch.

Great performances also from Ruffels, Long, Dickie, Garbutt, Kashi, Sykes and Henry but everybody did their bit.

How did the ref not send either their defender for chopping down Sinclair or the goalie for his assault on him btw?!

Just in, WOW what a game not really for the faint hearted a game that had passion, guts and glory.
I would love for Garbutt to be here next season the last few weeks he's been solid and what a free kick.
?Jamie Mackie duh, duh, duh, duh, duh?did he play the part to win the game. Brannagan Mr dependable as per. The full backs solid the CB`solid, Kashi and Sykes immense, But not to much to shout about regarding Sinclair, but another win?

Back
Top Bottom