Home Match Build Up 19/03/2022 L1: OUFC v Ipswich Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah hang on there, if we learned anything at Portman Road earlier in the season, it is that it is us who are the boring, negative George Graham side, they are pretty much Brazil 1982.

Not enough references to Brazil '82! They were the side that first made me fall in love with football! I remember playing football in the park with kids all wanting to be Ian Rush and that summer I was Zico!

All changed in '83 when I started watching Oxford and realised that Zico was no more than a pound shop Mick Vinter!!!!

Not enough references to Brazil '82! They were the side that first made me fall in love with football! I remember playing football in the park with kids all wanting to be Ian Rush and that summer I was Zico!

All changed in '83 when I started watching Oxford and realised that Zico was no more than a pound shop Mick Vinter!!!!
I loved that Brazil team, they are like us, but with shorter tighter shorts. Iconic Yellow and Blue kit, amazing going forwards, but couldn't defend for s**t. Socrates, what a player.

1647600339454.png

We barely play defenders and we had a nil nil with them, it can’t be us that’s defensive as we like to give away goals so it must be them.
Yeah I haven't kept up with how Ipswich are these days. I don't think I've ever seen them score a goal against us.

Heads up for some, travelling on the Western by-pass is going to be hell over the weekend:

itll be a 'mare in all directions as drivers 'divert' to avoid ..... likely to be 'fun' pre and post match tomorrow too

whats the odds on councillor Middleton spouting homespun interpretations on social media, about football traffic- while not mentioning that the County Council ( which he is a part of), via Highways division, 'approved' the closing the section of A34 over the weekend, which will, of course, add to the issue of 'football traffic' ?

Last edited:
Cheers - alternate route time..... should be "fun".
get off M40 a Wheatley, then go via Garsington onto Watlington rd , then Grenoble road - if travelling from 'north' .... avoid being 'diverted' onto Oxford ring road along with thousands upon thousands of other vehicles

Last edited:
Would love to be winning this comfortably enough to give their fans a few blasts of ‘boring boring Oxford’ for the last 20 minutes after they were so sensitive and offended by our solid away performance at their place. Rather fear that will be wishful thinking.

Massive game - they need to win. A loss or a draw doesn’t do much for them at this stage of the season. A point for us certainly isn’t ideal given the form of the teams around us, but isn’t a season killer either. Rather suspect the usual Oxford/Ipswich draw…but with goals this time

get off M40 a Wheatley, then go via Garsington onto Watlington rd , then Grenoble road - if travelling from 'north' .... avoid being 'diverted' onto Oxford ring road along with thousands upon thousands of other vehicles
Nah, get off at Milton (J7) and go via Stadhampton to Chiselhampton. Left at the Coach and Horses and right at the Golden Balls roundabout gets you to Sandford, whereas straight on and you get to the roundabout at the east end of Grenoble Road.

Nah, get off at Milton (J7) and go via Stadhampton to Chiselhampton. Left at the Coach and Horses and right at the Golden Balls roundabout gets you to Sandford, whereas straight on and you get to the roundabout at the east end of Grenoble Road.
is there an exit off M40 heading south( towards London) at J7? ....Im fairly certain its only heading 'north' that you can exit on J7 M40 .... if J7 is near the Belfrey hotel , there is no exit heading 'south'/ towards London ..... you'd need to continue to J6 for the B4009 to Wallingford etc .... best to exit M40 at Wheatley methinks

But they might all be turned into emergency LTN's

Sarge is correct, you can't get off at J7 southbound, but even if you get off at J8, there's not really much in it in time, whether you go through Wheatley, or Milton, but unless you're parking in Sandford, no point turning left at Chiselhampton.

The whole ring road will be screwed for the weekend, the A34 is a major road from the South to the M40 and beyond.
From our point of view, could they have waited a week? But football traffic is only a small percentage of traffic on that road.

is there an exit off M40 heading south( towards London) at J7? ....Im fairly certain its only heading 'north' that you can exit on J7 M40 .... if J7 is near the Belfrey hotel , there is no exit heading 'south'/ towards London ..... you'd need to continue to J6 for the B4009 to Wallingford etc .... best to exit M40 at Wheatley methinks
You are right, there isn't - I had foolishly assumed they would be coming from London.....

There isn't. As you say, get off at 8a for Wheatley, and head in that way. I've done that quite a few times coming in from Bicester, and it's my default route home after the game as I find it a lot easier getting out and back to the M40 and home than going back to the A34 or to Headington Roundabout.

You are right, there isn't - I had foolishly assumed they would be coming from London.....
an easy assumption to make .... tbh its 'expected' where there's an exit on one side of a motorway (or dual carriageway) there is a similar one going in the opposite direction.... albeit it isn't always that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom