Away Match Day Thread 19/02/2022 L1: Charlton Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 games between now and the end of March where we can make real hay. Wouldn't be surprised to see 5 wins and 2 draws from those games taking us to 73 points ahead of a tricky April. With Browne and Henry still to return and Holland, Bodin and an improving Winnall to come off the bench, our attacking options are ridiculous!!!

SUPERB result! Well done all at OUFC, and all the fans that went. Just brilliant.

And a clean sheet!

Our biggest downfall for a couple of seasons is the hole between left centre half and left back.
Sam Longs stepped in there today, shoring up our biggest problem, and allowing Ryan Williams to do what Williams does.
Done the same at right back when Chris Cadden moved on.
However good McNally or Moore are their not as comfortable as Sam on the left.
I think with today’s set up and Ciaron Brown there also left sided we’re stronger defensively than we’ve been all season.

Also nice to see on their forums the debate about Sean Clare being a defender is ongoing.

And this beauty "Oxford's giant flag looks like a pair of blue Y-fronts ffs" :ROFLMAO:

On the train now. A terrific performance where we bossed it from first to last. The energy from Sykes, the vision from Brannagan, the finishing from Taylor. All a joy.

I was stunned at how awful Charlton were. Lazy, slow, chucked away possession, ill disciplined with nine yellows and one red. I know they weren’t at full strength but they embarrassed their fans and their management today. The worst Charlton side I’ve seen us play at The Valley.

Didn't we get a decent amount of money for Sean Clare? What a great deal that was.
To be fair I have no idea why anyone would play him centre back, right back, or anywhere near a defence!

I fancy he would have done well at right wing back or right wing for us. But we’ve moved on and rightly so - no-one is displacing either Sykes or Williams on that performance!

To be fair I have no idea why anyone would play him centre back, right back, or anywhere near a defence!

I fancy he would have done well at right wing back or right wing for us. But we’ve moved on and rightly so - no-one is displacing either Sykes or Williams on that performance!
As far away from his own goal, and he may of been a good player

I’m always impressed when a manager can look at the team when we’ve had a bit of a bad spell and sort out the problems. Appleton was very good at that and Karl isn’t bad either. We’ve done the double over Sheffield Wed and Charlton!

Before we salute what was undoubtedly a brilliant performance by the team, I would just like to say that the outpouring of support from fans all over the country for Joey has been truly astonishing.
We have rivalries of course but it is nice to know that people across the whole of football knew what a cracking player he was for the club he loved.

We played some excellent stuff yesterday.
The players should be proud of what they are doing in that yellow shirt.
It is an honour to wear it so wear it well.
Yesterday, those players paid their own wonderful tribute with a performance worthy of celebration.

People will say that football doesn't matter right now. But without football we wouldn't have had Joey and all the wonderful memories that somehow counter the deep sadness we are all still waking up to. Yesterday was a joy to watch with moments of excellence from all, and beautifully taken goals. If there was ever a performance that epitomised what Joey gave us, then yesterday was it. Of course we have bad games and bad results, but these are the memories that we will one day look back on to help us through hard times. As @Big Ronaldo has said, the outpouring of love and support overnight has been overwhelming but beautiful. I didn't think that I could love this club anymore than I did, but the last 24 hours on and off the pitch has shown that in good times and bad that we're truly united.

After yesterdays great performance which has been tinged with sadness with the passing of truly one of our greatest players, I would hope the club will go all out to give the contract that Sykes deserves. Also have to give Cameron a much improved contract with a much bigger buy out clause.
I hope Luke McNally isn’t to bad but I was concerned with a couple of incidents where he had carried the ball out from defence but got caught in no man’s land but that’s his inexperience but definitely worth his place in our team.
A cracking goal from Sam Baldock and a cracking goal from Cam, don’t need to comment on Marty’s goals as they speak for themselves.

Next Saturday as has been said above let’s get a big crowd and let’s gets the Joey chants going.

C O Y Y

just ordered an additional ticket for a mate. Ticket office lady said 2,000 sold and tickets available on the day. Club anticipate 2,500 Oxford.

Karl must have read my comments from Friday night with playing 3 centre backs so i think must take some of the credit for this clean sheet, performance and result......

That is a tremendous effort from our supporters, let’s hope the team can reward us and starting with NOT CONCEDING two goals would be a start and give us half a chance of getting a positive result at The Valley....
I wonder if Karl will play 3 centre backs and two wing backs at Charlton like we did in the 2nd half against Sheffield Wednesday, we certainly have TRY and DO something to shore things up at the back and let our midfield and our attackers get on with things at the other end of the pitch........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom