Away Match Day Thread 18/9/21 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

S

So how much longer? Another 2/3/4 seasons for the same return. Teams like Cheltenham and Wimbledon we should be getting something from.
Bazzer
We should only be getting something from teams whoever they are if we deserve to
Cheltenham, Wimbledon, Fleetwood all come into a category of “small” teams by some people’s standards but who knows they may be promoted this year because they are well led and win games
This was done two years ago by another “small” team Wycombe who deserved to go up because they won the games that mattered

Unless we are falling towards relegation with clear signs he has lost the dressing room then I am quite happy with things, I've got no time frame in my mind.
Ok next season could be a tougher season than this one possibly adding Nottingham Forest and Derby. No time frame? I would hope on my life time I see championship football at the stadium wherever that will be in Oxfordshire.

I was at AFCW a couple of weeks ago and watched that on iplayer. Carbon copy. Ran the first half, should have been 2 or 3 up. Ran out of steam in the 2nd half. Taylor has got no service. Aygei isn't the answer - poor control, general lack of awareness and not good enough for L1. Winnall is past it, but will still do a job for us if he gets service. KR needs to think about dropping Whyte for Bodin. And I have no idea why Holland gets to come on and run around for ten minutes every game. Totally ineffective. Surely Cooper must be worth a look at? Pretty disappointing couple of weeks, but if KR can fix service to Taylor/Winnall, we'll still do well this season.
I think Williams looked good before injury. Been on bench last couple so surely will be back in soon. I think with loan players there is more too it than just form, there is balancing keeping their parent clubs on side too. Both because of future player arrangements with those clubs but also sending signals to other clubs that we develop loan players meaning they want to send players to us.

What opportunities?!?

He was given 20mins today, when the team were playing shite, and creating nothing for him.

Other than that, he's been given 5mins here and there, or not used at all, and you think he's not taking his opportunities?!?

I'm not saying Agyei is the messiah, yes he seems to lack a footballing brain, and he may not be the answer, but he clearly knows where the goal is, and offers something different, and with our only real option Taylor not scoring, and Winnall about as much use as a chocolate teapot, Agyei is the only other option as a striker, and needs to be given a run in the side, to show weather or not he can make a difference.

But that said, I'm not blaming Taylor for his lack of goals this season, we could have Harry Kane up front at the moment, but if we're not creating anything for the strikers, or carving out any clear cut chances for them, then we're fucked.

If things aren't working in a game, there's nothing wrong with making changes on 50-60 mins if it's needed, a concept lost on KR, who seems to wait until we go behind in games before bringing on substitutes, or sometimes not making any changes at all until after 80mins!

His decision to not bring in any extra out and out strikers in the summer, whilst bringing in countless wingers, stinks of nativity, and an inability to understand how to build a balanced squad.

What's the point in having all these wingers, if we've got no real options through the middle, other than Taylor, a knackered Winnall, and an unfancied Agyei?!?

If we're gonna turn things around, and get anything from this season, KR needs to take a long hard look at himself, and wise up.
Well we ping about 20 crosses into the box each game including corners and you would expect your striker to bag a couple of them. Saying it for a while we need a striker who can head a ball.

I think for a club like us playoffs two seasons in a row is a sign of ambition, I'm really happy with that and surviving financially of course! Too many Oxford fans think we are a bigger club than we are.
Well said.

We’re really talking about the manager’s job after 8 games of a 46 game slog where half the division wants the same thing we do.

Only in football. If the worst I can look forward to this season is stability, I’ll take it.

Bazzer
We should only be getting something from teams whoever they are if we deserve to
Cheltenham, Wimbledon, Fleetwood all come into a category of “small” teams by some people’s standards but who knows they may be promoted this year because they are well led and win games
This was done two years ago by another “small” team Wycombe who deserved to go up because they won the games that mattered
Why? We arms me apparently b****r than those teams more money and all that, maybe it’s out recruitment team that need sorting, and replaced by a recruitment team that will get the players in that can do the job.
Wimbledon one of the youngest teams in the league tore Oxford’s a**e a new strip,
Wycombe we’re just mundane and we couldn’t cope with that.
Today a promoted team that with all the experience we have couldn’t break them down and had to rely on a couple of long range shots.

I think Williams looked good before injury. Been on bench last couple so surely will be back in soon. I think with loan players there is more too it than just form, there is balancing keeping their parent clubs on side too. Both because of future player arrangements with those clubs but also sending signals to other clubs that we develop loan players meaning they want to send players to us.
Agree
I see Villa may want a loan player back from Ipswich because he’s not getting game time
There must be some sort of agreement about appearances otherwise the loan system falls apart
If Lofthouse Elechi etc go out and sit on benches getting a few minutes here and there we wouldn’t be too happy

Well we ping about 20 crosses into the box each game including corners and you would expect your striker to bag a couple of them. Saying it for a while we need a striker who can head a ball.
Well you can’t guarantee a strike 2 bag a couple from that, wish we could

Why? We arms me apparently b****r than those teams more money and all that, maybe it’s out recruitment team that need sorting, and replaced by a recruitment team that will get the players in that can do the job.
Wimbledon one of the youngest teams in the league tore Oxford’s a**e a new strip,
Wycombe we’re just mundane and we couldn’t cope with that.
Today a promoted team that with all the experience we have couldn’t break them down and had to rely on a couple of long range shots.
Well proved my point we didn’t deserve to

Could always try Whyte on the right, he has never played on the left in his career and it’s not working for him out there. Having him cut inside takes away the one bit of pace and running we have up top.

We overplay in games until about November then we go a bit more direct and cut out a couple of unnecessary passes and suddenly go on a winning run, the pretty passes hardly ever lead to goals.

I haven’t read the thread, but living nr Cheltenham means I’m back already.

A few points:

- We won’t go up with Gorrin as a regular starter. He sucks so much momentum from our midfield with his persistent backwards passing.

- Thornily seems to be regressing.

- Holland - I just don’t see what it is that so many do.

- Cheltenham- we should be ashamed to lose to such a limited, albeit hardworking, side.

He needs the ball to score goals!

He made a great run and Sykes chose not to play him through one on one.

He then had a free header backpost 3 yards out and we crossed it straight over his head for a throw.

Second half he had a free header on the 6 yard box and we crossed it over his head.

He gets himself into great positions and we don't find him, then we blame him for being goal shy!

Not to mention the countless high balls he has to deal with on his own vs 2 big centre backs.

Taylor is a great striker, he's not the problem.
He’s great in his own way but he does need a specific kind of service, not big high balls.

If a striker scored a couple of goals a game he would be unlikely to play for us, as much as I would love a 92 goal a season striker I can’t see us getting one.

A lot of our crosses are a bit s**t into a lone forward who is already marked.

We’re too weak as a squad both mentally and physically, and we needed another striker.

Just hope we can turn things around again.

ALso, why did they wear that awful yellow/white combo, when they have three shirts and there was no clash anyway? Looks terrible

Let’s be honest our strikers haven’t been good enough for a couple of seasons,
Winnall has proved to be no better.

Back
Top Bottom