Away Match Day Thread 18/9/21 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

Norwich v Liverpool was such an uninspired choice last night for the Carabao Cup TV game and a predictable 3-0 win for Liverpool (reserves and youth) ensued.

There was QPR v Everton, Sheff Utd v Southampton and Fulham v Leeds - championship at home to Prem on each occasion.

Still Millwall v Leicester is one of tonight's fixtures, could be a great game......checks TV guide.......it's f*ckin Man U v West Ham on the box
Man U v West Ham? What's the point when it will be their reserves. Sad

Man U v West Ham? What's the point when it will be their reserves. Sad
yep ... league cup and fa cup both treated contemptibley by most PL club, fa cup prize £ is dwarfed by the vast amounts on offer for being a PL side , while the league cup prize money doesn't even appear until semi finals, the league cup is shamed in comparison to the pizza Trophy, - which does give prize money in earlier rounds

All about money

when pundits talk about 'the magic of the cup', these days they're talking crap, ...PL clubs putting out youth teams, no extra time , no replays ( at the demands of PL clubs not wanting to tire out their prima donas, yet they don't play them in the rounds before the semi final stages anyway - bastards!)

Get rid of the league cup. Have the FA Cup Final a little earlier in the season, 3rd Saturday of April possibly.

The problem is that compared to days gone past, there is a lot of money at stake when it comes to winning football matches and where you finish in the league. This then makes teams more cautious when it comes to their play and are too afraid to lose a game.

The point about watching games on TV and the lack of people in pubs watching games now is probably due to the fact that it is cheaper to watch games at home nearly every night of the week. A sky sports subscription is between 70-100 quid a month. If you went to the pub to watch say the Saturday evening game, Sunday games and a Tuesday night game you might then have say 9 pints at £4 a pint. That’s then £180 a month on beer to watch a few games a week on TV or pay £110 less and watch a game Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The problem is that compared to days gone past, there is a lot of money at stake when it comes to winning football matches and where you finish in the league. This then makes teams more cautious when it comes to their play and are too afraid to lose a game.

The point about watching games on TV and the lack of people in pubs watching games now is probably due to the fact that it is cheaper to watch games at home nearly every night of the week. A sky sports subscription is between 70-100 quid a month. If you went to the pub to watch say the Saturday evening game, Sunday games and a Tuesday night game you might then have say 9 pints at £4 a pint. That’s then £180 a month on beer to watch a few games a week on TV or pay £110 less and watch a game Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
I'd rather just go to the pub

But you get beer, and are in the pub! Worth it if you enjoy that. I’m not a fan of football in the pub apart from very rare Oxford or England games though.

Norwich v Liverpool was such an uninspired choice last night for the Carabao Cup TV game and a predictable 3-0 win for Liverpool (reserves and youth) ensued.

There was QPR v Everton, Sheff Utd v Southampton and Fulham v Leeds - championship at home to Prem on each occasion.

Still Millwall v Leicester is one of tonight's fixtures, could be a great game......checks TV guide.......it's f*ckin Man U v West Ham on the box
The TV companies pick the games that will attract the most viewers. Liverpool and Man U reserves will draw literally several times more viewers than any of the more entertaining fixtures you listed, which means the advertising rates are worth more. It stinks but that’s all it is, and is all it will be for years to come judging by recent comments.

They’re all too stupid and lazy (as well as too beholden to Murdoch) to figure out that putting all fixtures in one place at the same time is worth more in potential commercial revenue than any fixture they could ever stick on the box in isolation, let alone the actual subscription fees. People pay £30+ per month just for Sky Sports and have to put up with insane amounts of advertising - they’re taking an ad break every few minutes while covering matches. If football moved to some sort of Netflix style service then they don’t have to scrap advertising and sponsorship, it doesn’t need to be ad free, they merely consolidate and streamline it. Charging people less than the amount they pay for a Sky subscription to see only a handful of games in return for unlimited fixture choice, with the ability to syndicate advertising to every single person watching any English football game at the exact same time, would create some of the most valuable advertising spots on earth.

Never mind. All hail the broadcasters.

No. It's the only major trophy we've won and it shouldn't be dumped because of a few spoilt rich clubs.

My view is that they ought to dump the Tinpot Trophy, and then run the League Cup without the Premier League teams (or their U21s).

There's just not much point having them in the competition if none of them are going to take it remotely seriously unless their reserves somehow get them to the semis

(this is with the notable exception of Pep Guardiola, who seemingly stands alone in treating the competition with at least some respect......it's almost certainly not coincidence that he's been at Man City for five years now, and has only ever lost one league cup game. I see they absolutely battered Wycombe, having turned out a side that included De Bruyne, Foden, Stirling, Torres and Mahrez).

I see that Wycombe managed to score. I’d be very happy if the Us scored against Citeh. Or in fact anybody. :)

My view is that they ought to dump the Tinpot Trophy, and then run the League Cup without the Premier League teams (or their U21s).

There's just not much point having them in the competition if none of them are going to take it remotely seriously unless their reserves somehow get them to the semis

(this is with the notable exception of Pep Guardiola, who seemingly stands alone in treating the competition with at least some respect......it's almost certainly not coincidence that he's been at Man City for five years now, and has only ever lost one league cup game. I see they absolutely battered Wycombe, having turned out a side that included De Bruyne, Foden, Stirling, Torres and Mahrez).

Dump the PL teams out of the competition and we miss out on the 2 Man City games and West Ham in recent years, with full houses plus TV money etc. They are also the games that attract new fans and gives us a chance to grow our fanbase.

We got to see Shandons goal against West Ham, plus the likes of Fodden and Zinchenko marking early starts for Man City, and Sam Long bossing Sterling for much of the game. The competition is fine as it is in my opinion even if the TV coverage is predictably predictable!

The TV companies pick the games that will attract the most viewers. Liverpool and Man U reserves will draw literally several times more viewers than any of the more entertaining fixtures you listed, which means the advertising rates are worth more. It stinks but that’s all it is, and is all it will be for years to come judging by recent comments.

They’re all too stupid and lazy (as well as too beholden to Murdoch) to figure out that putting all fixtures in one place at the same time is worth more in potential commercial revenue than any fixture they could ever stick on the box in isolation, let alone the actual subscription fees. People pay £30+ per month just for Sky Sports and have to put up with insane amounts of advertising - they’re taking an ad break every few minutes while covering matches. If football moved to some sort of Netflix style service then they don’t have to scrap advertising and sponsorship, it doesn’t need to be ad free, they merely consolidate and streamline it. Charging people less than the amount they pay for a Sky subscription to see only a handful of games in return for unlimited fixture choice, with the ability to syndicate advertising to every single person watching any English football game at the exact same time, would create some of the most valuable advertising spots on earth.

Sky realised the value was in the content, that's why they almost went bust paying for premiership at the start, BT the same. Used football as a loss-leader to harvest subscriptions. It's mind-boggling that the league owners have missed this. Hasn't happened for any other content - remember the 'walled gardens' the telcos were talking about? Where are they now?

Man Utd started their £73m signing Jayden Sancho, as well as Martial and Lingard with Bruno Fernandes and Mason Greenwood coming on. Their starting XI was all players signed for huge fees, not youth teamers.

Chelsea started Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech and Ben Chilwell, internationals who were all signed for huge fees, as well as Ballon D’Or nominee Ngolo Kante.

Spurs started Harry Kane and Dele Ali.

Liverpool started their big £40m summer signing centre back, as well as Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keira.

This idea that the big clubs totally disrespect the League Cup by only playing youth teamers and absolute dross reserves is a total myth to be honest. Yes they use it to make changes and rotate the team but Oxford would do the same in say an early FA Cup game against a team a few leagues lower than us that we’d expect to win, it’s a part of football. You still see big names playing even in the early rounds of the League Cup.

This idea that the big clubs totally disrespect the League Cup by only playing youth teamers and absolute dross reserves is a total myth to be honest. Yes they use it to make changes and rotate the team but Oxford would do the same in say an early FA Cup game against a team a few leagues lower than us that we’d expect to win, it’s a part of football.
You could argue we did exactly that in the League Cup v QPR, and most certainly in the Pizza Trophy against Cambridge.

Have to say that the West Ham offering yesterday was a fine game of football. Plenty of great footballers on show. And like the fact there is no extra time, it was a thrilling last 10 minutes.

What really sticks in my craw is Guardiola hinting that his under 23 ‘heroes’ should be playing for City B in the championship or league 1. A million times no.

What really sticks in my craw is Guardiola hinting that his under 23 ‘heroes’ should be playing for City B in the championship or league 1. A million times no.
I've got no issues with this actually happening, but they have to start at the bottom of the pyramid and work their way up like everyone else does if they want to get there, I wonder how keen he will be on his prized assets getting chopped.

I've got no issues with this actually happening, but they have to start at the bottom of the pyramid and work their way up like everyone else does if they want to get there, I wonder how keen he will be on his prized assets getting chopped.
I'm 100% completely opposed to this happening, why the hell should the rich clubs get to hoard talent and basically destroy the integrity of the Football League? They would throw more money at their 'B' sides than we could ever afford, and would all probably end up in The Championship distorting that division.

Spot on - if the OUFC fixture list was made up of a combination of say 12 teams such as Pompey, Accrington and Shrewsbury etc. and 11 teams such as Man City B, Norwich B, that would be it for me, I’d have to find something else to do on Saturday Afternoons.

I'm 100% completely opposed to this happening, why the hell should the rich clubs get to hoard talent and basically destroy the integrity of the Football League? They would throw more money at their 'B' sides than we could ever afford, and would all probably end up in The Championship distorting that division.
And then there will be a clamour for Man City ‘C’ entering the league.

Back
Top Bottom