Away Match Build Up 18/9/21 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor to start again, he must have something in his contract meaning he has to start every game im sure.. Give Dan a chance up top, he's massively wasted coming on out wide.

We are firing blanks a bit at the moment, and haven't done at all well away (despite generally starting matches well). I've gone for a draw. If we play that silly midfield diamond we will lose, if the strikers find their shooting boots we will win.

Possibly.

Our recent record against Cheltenham is lousy.

Two wins in our last seventeen games, with the only win at their place being in the tinpot trophy.

That being said, before 2006, our record against them was amazing (even Graeme Rix managed to beat them - and we can't say that about many opponents), so swings and roundabouts!

Also, if Rageonline is to be believed (and in my book, it always is!), in December 2005, we apparently played them four times in the space of 17 days in three different competitions? I don't remember that at all.....although I have done my best to block out the Talbot era. It seems we beat them in the league, but then they knocked us out of two cups?

Taking the statto hat off.....we really need to get back to winning ways in this one. Got to pick up some wins on our travels if we intend to be mixing it at the top of the league by the end of the season.....and we've got a seriously tough run of away games after this one (Sunderland, Wednesday, Burton, Ipswich & Wigan).

Honestly, I think nine of the side should be easy picks right now.
Depends on fitness, but I think you're going with Stevens, Long, Moore, Thornily, Seddon, Gorrin, Brannagan, Henry & Sykes (with Forde and McNally deputizing if Long & Moore aren't good to go) on current form/general ability.

The last two spots ought to be easy - Whyte & Taylor are comfortably our best players but they are both bang out of form. Wouldn't blame KR for sticking with them in the hope of playing them into some form; but equally wouldn't mind seeing if Bodin & Agyei could give us a spark instead.

Taylor should definitely start in front of Agyei in my view.
He will start scoring soon and is a class above Agyei
Does that mean Taylor has to play every game then? Why Agyei is never played up top ill never know even as a 2? i like Taylor but he goes missing alot, even one of the coaching staff said his mrs could have played against him after Wimbledon.

A draw wouldnt be a disaster really, obviously on paper and player for player OUFC should win, but away from home it will be difficult.

Theres a of of talk lately, especially on this thread about giving Agyei a start - is he good enough?

In my opinion, whilst Taylor clearly isnt playing that well at the moment, Agyei isnt the answer.

I dont think you fix a problem of one player not playing well/not being good enough currently by swapping them for one that also isnt good enough, in this instance i think you are better off keeping Taylor in the side as there is a far higher chance of him coming good - far better than there is of Agyei anyway.

Agyei will work hard, run etc etc and basically make a nuisance of himself, of that i have no doubt, but i dont see him scoring enough (any?) goals to be worthy of a place starting as a striker.

Its ok having a striker who doesnt score that many, eg Ryan Taylor, when the goals are coming from various other sources but that isnt something we are blessed with at the moment.

A draw wouldnt be a disaster really, obviously on paper and player for player OUFC should win, but away from home it will be difficult.

Theres a of of talk lately, especially on this thread about giving Agyei a start - is he good enough?

In my opinion, whilst Taylor clearly isnt playing that well at the moment, Agyei isnt the answer.

I dont think you fix a problem of one player not playing well/not being good enough currently by swapping them for one that also isnt good enough, in this instance i think you are better off keeping Taylor in the side as there is a far higher chance of him coming good - far better than there is of Agyei anyway.

Agyei will work hard, run etc etc and basically make a nuisance of himself, of that i have no doubt, but i dont see him scoring enough (any?) goals to be worthy of a place starting as a striker.

Its ok having a striker who doesnt score that many, eg Ryan Taylor, when the goals are coming from various other sources but that isnt something we are blessed with at the moment.
I think you may well be right, but a lot of people feel frustrated because we've only had tantalising glimpses of Dan as a number 9, where he has looked good. If he was given two or three starts there we'd either have a genuine new option or would see that he was probably not the answer.

You don't see him scoring 'any' goals for us?

Strange then that he has scored 8 league goals in just 12 league starts (lots of sub appearances).

If you accept that the three strikers are Taylor, Agyei and Winnall then we can probably rule out the latter (still injured?, too slow, not scoring).

So if Taylor doesn't start it has to be Agyei - unless you go off piste and put Whyte there of course, and that seems like quite a 'KR' sort of thing to do. It would allow him to play Sykes on the right and put Henry just behind Whyte. I'm not advocating it - but neither would I rule it out!

Our recent record against Cheltenham is lousy.

Two wins in our last seventeen games, with the only win at their place being in the tinpot trophy.

That being said, before 2006, our record against them was amazing (even Graeme Rix managed to beat them - and we can't say that about many opponents), so swings and roundabouts!

Also, if Rageonline is to be believed (and in my book, it always is!), in December 2005, we apparently played them four times in the space of 17 days in three different competitions? I don't remember that at all.....although I have done my best to block out the Talbot era. It seems we beat them in the league, but then they knocked us out of two cups?

Taking the statto hat off.....we really need to get back to winning ways in this one. Got to pick up some wins on our travels if we intend to be mixing it at the top of the league by the end of the season.....and we've got a seriously tough run of away games after this one (Sunderland, Wednesday, Burton, Ipswich & Wigan).

Honestly, I think nine of the side should be easy picks right now.
Depends on fitness, but I think you're going with Stevens, Long, Moore, Thornily, Seddon, Gorrin, Brannagan, Henry & Sykes (with Forde and McNally deputizing if Long & Moore aren't good to go) on current form/general ability.

The last two spots ought to be easy - Whyte & Taylor are comfortably our best players but they are both bang out of form. Wouldn't blame KR for sticking with them in the hope of playing them into some form; but equally wouldn't mind seeing if Bodin & Agyei could give us a spark instead.
I’d start McNally and Bodin. Moore has been under-par so far this season and Whyte isn’t getting involved enough. Bodin has looked good when given ( his very limited) chance. I wouldn’t even have Holland on the bench. A great disappointment to date.

If you accept that the three strikers are Taylor, Agyei and Winnall then we can probably rule out the latter (still injured?, too slow, not scoring).

So if Taylor doesn't start it has to be Agyei - unless you go off piste and put Whyte there of course, and that seems like quite a 'KR' sort of thing to do. It would allow him to play Sykes on the right and put Henry just behind Whyte. I'm not advocating it - but neither would I rule it out!
I’d like to see Whyte up top - his pace could terrify a slow centre back pairing.

Can see this being a 1-1, we'll score first. Whenever we have an overwhelming win rate on the poll we always seem to cock it up some how. No idea what their play style is.

So based on some discussion, one team people might like to see?

Stevens
Long Mcnally Thorniley Seddon
Henry Gorrin Brannagan
Sykes Whyte Bodin

Lots of options for the front three, with Taylor, Agyei, Bodin, Holland all possibilities if fit.

I think Sykes has been playing well on the right, but I'd like to see him come inside more often into the pockets. Whyte was the one coming short and looking inside against Wycombe and Sykes running in behind. Would much rather they switched those roles.

How anyone who could watch all of Dan Agyei’s starts for us as a central striker and think ‘Nope, he’s clearly not good enough for us’ is beyond me. Yes he isn’t perfect but then not many of our players are, that’s why they’re at League One level.

Start him centrally and he will bully defenders, win headers, run in behind and win a good number of free kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom