Home Match Day Thread 18/12/2021 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been the better team.

Soft goals given away... the first a free header and the second a ridiculous header back into the centre.

Sykes + Whyte in particular looking bright, Seddon + Bodin(!) at the other end of the scale.

Wigan have been unbelievably dirty, would love to get a point or better. COYY

Referee has bottled the red card there. That’s a definite yellow. We’ve got them rattled! Can see us nicking a point or more. Despite my negativity, pre-kick off, we’ve been quality. Fair play, lads.

Tbh I didn't expect to be as competitive as this. They don't deserve to be winning.

Did he have the option to? I’d be pretty annoyed if a team managed to get a match against us called off for having four players out. It’s frustrating because of the identity of the individuals out, but if we had 4 covid cases and they were, say, Hanson Agyei bodin and forde out, it wouldn’t really be a problem. Just really unlucky.

It's not just the 4 players out though is it, the 4 have all been in contact with the other playing squad who now are in close contact with Wigan players. No wonder cases are rocketing.

Power shouldve been sent off 2 yellows ...bell has no bottle

It's not just the 4 players out though is it, the 4 have all been in contact with the other playing squad who now are in close contact with Wigan players. No wonder cases are rocketing.
Fair point. But I suppose you have to draw the line somewhere. Presumably all the other players will have tested this morning and tested negative. It would set something of a bad precedent if teams were able to call off games on the assumption that players might have COVID.

Anyway, sounds like we're doing well regardless. I suspect our lack of depth on the bench might be our undoing this half, but seems like we're well in this.

Did he have the option to? I’d be pretty annoyed if a team managed to get a match against us called off for having four players out. It’s frustrating because of the identity of the individuals out, but if we had 4 covid cases and they were, say, Hanson Agyei bodin and forde out, it wouldn’t really be a problem. Just really unlucky.

Isn't the rule that you're allowed to postpone if you don't have 14 available first team players? Defined as anyone who's played more than a game?

Well, by my count, we've only got 13 today, so we could have had the game called off.
That being said, we only ended up at that number after James Henry injured himself in the warm up, so I can see why they wouldn't want to call off the game 15 minutes before kickoff with the crowd all there!

We have done really well, all things considered.
Last week I was saying that I didn't think McGuane and Sykes could play together in a midfield three, as neither of them is strong enough defensively. Well now they're both playing there alongside an even less defensively capable player in Bodin, so it's huge credit to them all that we haven't been overrun!

Going forwards, we've looked really good. Gavin Whyte is finally looking like himself, and Sykes is continuing his excellent form.
Wigan have been disappointing frankly - they've not looked good at the back, and their passing has been erratic. They do, however, take a good corner.

Feels like more goals to me in this one......but wouldn't want to say which end.......

I'm absolutely boiling about that bell-end of a ref. Why no red for Power I'll never understand. And that kicking the ball away has got to stop.

(Listening not watching for once) - love that Whyte seems to be closer to his best. Would for sure take a draw from this one…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom