+++ 18/12/2019 OUFC v Manchester City +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we'll be seeing Agyei in the starting lineup for a bit. Pulled after 56 minutes after which we started playing well. You have to really work hard up front in a game like this, because you aren't going to see the ball otherwise. Luckily he eventually got it after the first half hour watching the ball sail over his head, he came deeper and offered himself better. But overall he was poor.

Like I said, love Long and Ruffels to bits but they both had a tough night, Ruffs more so. But wing backs often have their pants pulled down against top opposition. No disgrace there at all.

A marvellous performance there from all, massive credit to everyone.

Agyei played better in that position than Hall has in his last 2 games against Shrewsbury and MK Dons, whereas Agyei played against Man City remember.

Agyei was better defensively than Hall and because of his pace made their full back hold back on occasion. He also had a couple of runs which forced Man City players into having to foul him to stop him. He has hardly had great service to him either. The other thing to remember is he has hardly played in that position for us and then he starts against Man City.

That said when everybody is fit he wouldn't start there or anywhere else at the moment. But if we need somebody due to injuries/suspensions, based on recent performances I'd have Agyei ahead of Hall in that position.

On City, the massive factor isn't Kompany, it is Laporte being out for so long. Laporte was one of the best in the world before his injury imo.
Disagree. Every great club needs a leader. Kompany hasn’t been adequately replaced.
Actually thought their young CBs were good. It was the Bernardos and the Gundogans that we’re disappointing.

Crowd of 11817. Capacity of 12500.

Seemed to be a lot more than 683 seats netted off for segregation plus front rows of north stand in away section and in front of disabled area?
This is always my bug bear. Why is it our clubs policy to leave all those seats in front of the away section unsold? There's no rhyme or reason for it. I can understand the need for segregation but those seats - and many others are at the front of north stand are just left empty.

“Not quite sure why people were booing some of their players? Sterling (for example) can be a bit of a twonk, but no more than many other Prem luvvies and far less than some!”

What I didn’t get is why some of the Oxford fans, even some season ticket holders, applauded Sterling when he came off! He plays for an opposing team who happen to be 2 levels above us so did he do anything extraordinary to warrant that?

I remember back in the day in the Cup replay at Stamford Bridge when pretty much the whole away support applauded Gianfranco Zola off the pitch when he got subbed. I also remember Aaron McLean getting similar at the Kasstad when he tore us apart single-handedly for Grays. Maybe they are just acknowledging a good player or performance.

I remember back in the day in the Cup replay at Stamford Bridge when pretty much the whole away support applauded Gianfranco Zola off the pitch when he got subbed. I also remember Aaron McLean getting similar at the Kasstad when he tore us apart single-handedly for Grays. Maybe they are just acknowledging a good player or performance.
I always think it's one of football's great moments when an opposing player's / team's performance / goal is applauded by the other team's fans. Shows a true appreciation for the game.

Disagree. Every great club needs a leader. Kompany hasn’t been adequately replaced.
Actually thought their young CBs were good. It was the Bernardos and the Gundogans that we’re disappointing.

I get your point about a leader if you mean off the pitch but don't know about other characters in their dressing room to say one way or the other. On the pitch, by example Laporte has been the leader for quite a while. Their defensive frailty this season has been since his injury.

The point about Ruffels is that he, like Long was trying to stop creating a hole between him and his centre-back (Moore) for Sterling to exploit. That is why it was very difficult to pick up their wingers out so wide. City exploited the width stretching us this way.
They are champions of England for good reason but we gave them a pretty damn good fight all in all.
Well done guys.

My take on last night. Bloody fantastic we were superb, so proud to be an Oxford fan this morning. The boys gave it some and more. Sykes coming on gave us fresh impetus and we really did batter them for the last 20/25 mins. Did we deserve more? to right we did Could we have done thing better or different? I don't think so.
Their passing was so quick and incisive and it was a joy to see, but in the 2nd have we matched them. ( having to pinch myself here ) we bloody well matched one of the best teams in the world not just England. If Dickie does go in January I'd gladly have either of their young CB's as a replacement.
Been told by a few people this morning who watched it on tele last night and they have all said how good we looked and how unlucky we were.
The hard bit starts from now though. We have to match that performance or at least come close to it in the league, its no good saying what a good team we can be, we need to be saying look at how good we are and make the opposition worry about us for a change, just like Jim's team in the 80's.
Jim would of been so proud of us last night.
A massive thank you to KR and all the boys for last night. Will live in the memory for a long time.
Liked the look of the East stand but from my seat in the SSU it looked a tad dark, could do with a bit of lighting to really show it off.
Oh and the A34 was clear as a bell going home for once.
Something special is happening with our club we just got to believe and enjoy the ride.
COYY

Terrified on that showing that we'll lose Brannagan, Fosu and Dickie in January. Where does that leave us? I guess we all have to believe in the transfer strategy and they will be well replaced. The track record has been amazing recently.

No scouts are through enough (hopefully) to see how good Gorrin is. Reads the game superbly.

A great evening. We should have got a draw!

And also agree as some have said on here- Ruffs is solid but nothing more and is our most 'League One' player. Perfectly fine at all the bits a footballer should be. And credit to him for that. But it's a low ceiling for him potential wise and he's been hitting it for a while.

Terrified on that showing that we'll lose Brannagan, Fosu and Dickie in January. Where does that leave us? I guess we all have to believe in the transfer strategy and they will be well replaced. The track record has been amazing recently.

No scouts are through enough (hopefully) to see how good Gorrin is. Reads the game superbly.

Agree. Gorrin makes huge difference to us.
Another who I reckon could easily play in the Championship.
One of those players easily to miss when watching

Won't lose Fosu on that showing. Brannagan, well... Yesterday was just like watching the Oxford before, well before Brannagan got injured...

Agree. Gorrin makes huge difference to us.
Another who I reckon could easily play in the Championship.
One of those players easily to miss when watching
A bit like a ref I suppose. If he is doing his job, then you do not notice him............……..who was that Italian ref back in the nineties. Luigi....name escapes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom