+++ 18/12/2019 OUFC v Manchester City +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrified on that showing that we'll lose Brannagan, Fosu and Dickie in January. Where does that leave us? I guess we all have to believe in the transfer strategy and they will be well replaced. The track record has been amazing recently.

I know the feeling but I'd rather they were here, playing well and lose them than have them play poorly and keep them. It's not just an advert for the players, it's an advert for the club. Why wouldn't a player want to join us now?

Players come and go. Memories remain and so does OUFC!

Exactly. The more players see that signing for us is a way of improving their chances of moving up the pyramid and enhancing their careers, the more players (and the better quality) will want to sign for us - the better the side gets, the more attractive the football gets. It would be nice to hold on to every diamond we discover, but that isn't going to happen (and probably wouldn't be fair on players to do so). As long as they give their all when they are with us and the club gets a decent return, that's what we should expect. After all, even the lower Prem clubs have their better players nicked by those above them! I would ask players to consider holding off any moves to the summer if possible though....

Agyei showed some promise and reckon he would be useful off bench.
As for any of our team of fighters (and last nights performance) being slagged off against a starting team with a transfer value of £290 million words really do fail me.

Incredible isn’t it.

Just goes to show that no matter at what level we play, or who we play against, it will never ever be enough for some.

Incredible isn’t it.

Just goes to show that no matter at what level we play, or who we play against, it will never ever be enough for some.
Just thought Ruffels had a poor first half and didn't track back as well as he could have. Other than that, I can't really complain. I am usually an over-optimist but when you push Man City as hard as that, you have to look at things critically because we could and (some may say) should have got something out of that game, based on the second half.

Just as long as we can keep a lid on this boiling pot of talent we have brewed, we really can push on.
What with agents, and clubs hovering around, let’s hope we get through January without too much upheaval.
A couple of quality additions and I honestly believe that we will be right up there.

Just thought Ruffels had a poor first half and didn't track back as well as he could have. Other than that, I can't really complain. I am usually an over-optimist but when you push Man City as hard as that, you have to look at things critically because we could and (some may say) should have got something out of that game, based on the second half.

I was going into that game just hoping for a respectable loss and to avoid humiliation. Looking at what City have done to some teams this season, it was always a worry.

But I came away feeling so proud and also chuffed to bits that the performance did get TV coverage. I agree that there was that twinge of “if only”, but that is football.

The negative for me is that some of our players will be targeted, but if you want to put a positive spin on it, if we do need to recruit in January, maybe that performance will encourage some potential prospects struggling in higher divisions to drop down and come to us.

If Man City payed 60 mil for Cancelo it makes 1mil for Cadden seem like nothin. Apart from not having the million of course. Very complimentary about us in general on their Blue Moon forum.

“Not quite sure why people were booing some of their players? Sterling (for example) can be a bit of a twonk, but no more than many other Prem luvvies and far less than some!”

What I didn’t get is why some of the Oxford fans, even some season ticket holders, applauded Sterling when he came off! He plays for an opposing team who happen to be 2 levels above us so did he do anything extraordinary to warrant that?
What I don’t get is the booing of Sterling. He’d not done anything to us before scoring 2.

Terrified on that showing that we'll lose Brannagan, Fosu and Dickie in January. Where does that leave us? I guess we all have to believe in the transfer strategy and they will be well replaced. The track record has been amazing recently.

Honestly, based on last night's showing - if we sold Dickie, Brannagan & Baptiste in January, we'd make enough money to buy the Kasstad!
And while it would kill our chances of promotion this season.....that would make a hell of a difference to the long term future of the club.

Honestly, financially we're in the best position now that we've been in for a long time - because our recruitment strategy has been so good that we now have assets in our playing squad that are suddenly worth more than our debt!

The point about Ruffels is that he, like Long was trying to stop creating a hole between him and his centre-back (Moore) for Sterling to exploit. That is why it was very difficult to pick up their wingers out so wide. City exploited the width stretching us this way.

Think this is spot on. Playing a team like Man City, we were always going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.
The 'full backs tucking in' strategy was probably smart because it minimized Stirling's opportunities to get in behind, but it did give Mahrez space on the right to get on the ball and run at Ruffels (although that didn't end up costing us, he always looked dangerous) and gave Angelino more space on the left as well (and he did make us pay, with one of the most sublime crosses we've seen in a long time - seriously, Steve Anthrobus could have scored their second and third goals, and I can't think of a bigger compliment to pay a final ball.....)

How ridiculous is it that some are judging Agyei in a one off game against the PL champions ? The kid has barely played for us let alone start in our biggest cup game for over 30 years !

He looked a bit lost but showed glimpses and I’d at least persevere with him from now on in the match day squads. Hall has had plenty of chances and hasn’t properly convinced so let’s see what Agyei can do against much lesser quality opposition than City.

How ridiculous is it that some are judging Agyei in a one off game against the PL champions ? The kid has barely played for us let alone start in our biggest cup game for over 30 years !

He looked a bit lost but showed glimpses and I’d at least persevere with him from now on in the match day squads. Hall has had plenty of chances and hasn’t properly convinced so let’s see what Agyei can do against much lesser quality opposition than City.
Agyei looked strong, and quick, and I thought he contributed reasonably well V Citeh

Agyei is one of the future and the club seem to be easing him into the first team.

I haven’t read all the pages as yet, but have just watched the game, and my thoughts are the same as last night
I thought we were magnificent but being petty
Sam Longs crosses were poor
Josh Ruffles was often out of position
Some not so great finishing, and at least 2 excellent saves and about 3 great defensive blocks, stopped us getting a well deserved draw if not a win
Proud of the whole team, they all worked their socks off, it can’t be easy playing against City, so mistakes will be forgotten, heads held high Oxford

We were chasing shadows a bit in the first half, but gave it a really good go after the interval.

Sykes made a Brannigan and
Won't lose Fosu on that showing. Brannagan, well... Yesterday was just like watching the Oxford before, well before Brannagan got injured...

agree, I think Fosu was off the boil a bit. Just shows what Brannagan brings to the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom