Away Match Day Thread +++ 18/01/20 Gillingham v OUFC L1 +++

Get a bloody grip!!!

He is right though. If you watched the games against Wimbledon, Lincoln, Wycombe (who were down to 10 men for most of the match) we were very lucky to come away with the wins in these, then there was mk dons, Crawley in the cup. Bus wheels had loosened a while back and while man City game gave us a bit of a lift. We haven't been playing other teams of the park like we were in October and November. It's like watching another team at the moment.

It’s extremely worrying that Karl Robinson continues to start Mackie over both Taylor and Agyei. They are both miles better than him. I honestly don’t know what Mackie brings to the team. It’s clear to see that Karl Robinson has favourites and chooses his team based on who he likes rather than ability. In the 30 minutes Agyei played today, I was extremely impressed with how well he holds up the ball with his strength, he’s got good ball control and pace. Agyei needs to get the opportunity to lead the line for a few matches, he’s never had a fair chance to lead the attack. Our team are at risk of missing the playoffs unless he bucks up his ideas
Agree Dan is fast, strong and skilful but he didn't score did he? Sometimes he seemed to freeze...wish he'd had s shot when thru on goal. Think today hopefully has built his confidence up.

He is right though. If you watched the games against Wimbledon, Lincoln, Wycombe (who were down to 10 men for most of the match) we were very lucky to come away with the wins in these, then there was mk dons, Crawley in the cup. Bus wheels had loosened a while back and while man City game gave us a bit of a lift. We haven't been playing other teams of the park like we were in October and November. It's like watching another team at the moment.

Umm, he's not right! Since the beginning of December we've picked up 12 points from 8 games. That's 1.5 points a game, or 69 points over a full season. So even our poor form is bordering on playoff form!

Of course we haven't been at our flowing best, but we've lost some key players during this period. Eastwood, Brannagan and Henry have missed several games, Cadden has gone, Fosu has looked knackered. In addition, weather conditions have been awful and we've played some decent teams.

I expect 2 or 3 others to come into the squad, with many of our key players to come back. Then the games come thick and fast in February and March to put us right back in the mix.

It's only a couple of weeks ago that many were laughing at the panic on the Sunderland forum yet here we are talking about relegation form!!!

What was Holland doing in the team with Browne on the bench......he was a passenger like in the ipswich game.....f#cking embarrassing timewasting against a team we shouldve wiped the floor with.....we got what we deserved.

Some embarrassing comments being made, this evening. This isnt the Sunderland forum...

Taylor
Henry
Brannagan
Woodburn
Thorne
Forde

We have some of the best players in this league about to return from injury and we have lost 2 in 8. We are 6 points off the top. Give your heads a wobble, lads.

Umm, he's not right! Since the beginning of December we've picked up 12 points from 8 games. That's 1.5 points a game, or 69 points over a full season. So even our poor form is bordering on playoff form!

Of course we haven't been at our flowing best, but we've lost some key players during this period. Eastwood, Brannagan and Henry have missed several games, Cadden has gone, Fosu has looked knackered. In addition, weather conditions have been awful and we've played some decent teams.

I expect 2 or 3 others to come into the squad, with many of our key players to come back. Then the games come thick and fast in February and March to put us right back in the mix.

It's only a couple of weeks ago that many were laughing at the panic on the Sunderland forum yet here we are talking about relegation form!!!
And its about a week ago some were saying we now have the best squad in the league. Dare I say it but a certain somebody once called Oxford fans muppets. Some people's fluctuations from us being world beaters to relegation material doesn't exactly counter that comment.

And its about a week ago some were saying we now have the best squad in the league. Dare I say it but a certain somebody once called Oxford fans muppets. Some people's fluctuations from us being world beaters to relegation material doesn't exactly counter that comment.
Sadly the last sentence is spot on. You listen to Radio Oxford after 2 wins we are the best team in the league, then lose 2 we are rubbish and looking like relegation. The fact of the matter is that we along with a dozen or so others are in with a shout this season. What we need to do is stick together SUPPORT the team and stop panicking, we are having a bad spell like every other club bar Liverpool this season. Also if people look at our recent 5 games we have played all teams right at the top of their game (Ipswich aside although playing in that was impossible) while we are not. Things WILL improve.

Last edited:
Ive never considered us world beaters. Considering where our squad is at, compared to the big hitters in this league, Ive always thought we’ll finished somewhere between 8th and 12th which, considering where we are off the field, isnt too shoddy. Anything above that would be a brilliant achievement. Our squad has some very talented players but doesnt have a great deal of depth. It’s ok to dream but perspective is important.

For me we are the best footballing side in the league but if we play with a lack of edge (tired/lazy) we look like a mid table side. It was always gonna happen when pitches got heavy etc. This 2 week break from the league, let us get players back could be massive!

Get a bloody grip!!!

Just stating facts which I thought you liked.

Obviously I hope it changes, but something isn’t clicking at the moment which I hoped by strengthening would have helped.

By the way, you haven’t said much about Sunderland lately!

I said since the beginning of the year, not f*****g December, get your facts right.

My opinion (FWIW) is that we certainly do need some perspective here. We're still at the right end of the table this season (which makes a change!), and the truth is that we were always going to have a blip sometime.....just look at Wycombe, they had a bad patch (one point in five games which is worse than us!), and now it's our turn, we're just having a bad patch.

We need to have faith that the injured players (who we're so obviously missing) will come back and boost us, new players WILL come in, and yes we're only 6 points off the top of the league.

Still 54 points to play for, we've got to keep the positivity bus going chaps!⚽

Just stating facts which I thought you liked.

Obviously I hope it changes, but something isn’t clicking at the moment which I hoped by strengthening would have helped.

By the way, you haven’t said much about Sunderland lately!

It's not facts though, it's using exceptionally limited statistics to prove a very blinkered view.

We've added to the squad, but it'll take a while for these players to make a difference. Browne already looks good, Holland will get better (it took Woodburn half dozen games), Kelly will get fit. Taylor, Brannagan and Henry should all be back by the end of the month. Woodburn isn't far away. Then we'll see just how strong this squad will be.

As for Sunderland, they're still a joke of a club from top to bottom. But they've put together a decent run and will be a team to watch. However, I think we'll finish above them this season and go up. So maybe I'll save my mocking until then!

Back
Top Bottom