Home Match Day Thread 17/11/2020 L1 OUFC v Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect its a combination. The players looked poorly motivated, which comes from themselves and from the Gaffer. Poor tactics may be due to coaching or to players not executing the coaching strategy.

I also have some concern about the fitness coaching. It is constantly being lauded, and we had a fitness measurement day on Friday, yet we seem to get a disproportionate amount of muscle strains and players who can only play for part of a match.

KRs comments last night about removing some of the junior coaching staff from the dressing room so the players could speak freely is also of concern. Smells of backroom discontent.
He said "I feel the support staff are giving everything they possibly can to give the players what they need. But I don’t think it’s reciprocated."

So my impression of some of them leaving the dressing room was to:
1. Allow the players to speak out freely if they so wished about any issues they had with the set-up. (No-one did)
2. Not submit some of the coaching staff to the post-match dressing down/rant because he believes little fault lies at their door.

It was so bad that one might think things really are bad "behind the scenes"- have all the salaries been paid for example? Tiger does not have a bottomless wallet & his businesses are suffering like everyone else. Hope not.
Wigan is a must win - agreed.

Like everyone else I suffered the 90 minutes last night. I think one of the problems is the science statistics of passes and other data. When you watch we look for the safe pass not the telling pass that may go wrong. Clare does go forward and look to pass forward but agree he is no full back. Crewe pressed high and as we can only pass sideways or backwards we got more and more disjointed. KR needs to stop the in depth analysis and over reliance on stats but start really feeling the mood. Instil the passion. Give creative play a chance. If we don't get a grip and start realising back and side passes don't score goals we are doomed

Like everyone else I suffered the 90 minutes last night. I think one of the problems is the science statistics of passes and other data. When you watch we look for the safe pass not the telling pass that may go wrong. Clare does go forward and look to pass forward but agree he is no full back. Crewe pressed high and as we can only pass sideways or backwards we got more and more disjointed. KR needs to stop the in depth analysis and over reliance on stats but start really feeling the mood. Instil the passion. Give creative play a chance. If we don't get a grip and start realising back and side passes don't score goals we are doomed
When we just lumped it forwards or dribbled with no real idea of what we were doing, we were at our worst. When we started knocking it around a bit and keeping the ball, building up some confidence and stretching Crewe, we looked at our most dangerous.

I’m no fan of boring, sideways passing, the sort of which we’ve seen many times from Oxford teams over the years, but that wasn’t the problem last night. We need to go back to what we did well last season - play out from the back, keep the ball, bring the centre backs forward (safely) and dominate the play. Needs confidence and players who are decent on the ball though.

Last night....was not good.

Prior to the game the Clare vs Pickering/Kirk match up looked wrong, plus Lowery/Wintle essentially up again Gorrin on his own whilst he attempts to plug the gaps and mop up elsewhere. We failed to get Forde/Henry into the match, Taylor just stood up top by himself with no-one anywhere near him (he had 10 touches all match!).

Obviously recruitment has been mentioned, but it looks to me we are almost trying to change our style a little this season. Last year in Fosu, Cadden, Dickie, Baptiste, Browne, Holland we had players who were capable of carrying the ball, committing the opposition and creating space for others. I'm not entirely sure on this years intention, but it very much looks like 'get the ball wide and stick it in the box' - which is pretty ropey as a strategy.

Another thing to add - Dickie started most of our attacks. He could play vertical balls into the midfield who had the ability to turn and drive at the opposition (whilst beating the press and removing opposition players)...that has obviously disappeared with only Atkinson carrying the ball from CB (when he has been fit). This is where the quality of our RB/LB on the ball has been exposed - Moore/Long pass to Ruffels/Clare who primarily just nudge the ball down the line.

For me, last nights worry was the lack of anything creative. In previous games we have lost but created...last night the only threat was from set pieces.

KR's focus should be around securing that defence - Long/Mousinho/Moore/Ruffels - that would be steady (imo!). Put Gorrin as the DM to screen them alongside *probably* Kelly and Forde. I would love to see Cooper start, he brings energy in an out of possession, was my MOTM vs Walsall and can play on the right or left giving decent protection to the defender behind him. I'm torn with the inclusion of Henry - is our most creative player however is too inconsistent this year.

Eastwood
Long // Moore // Mousinho // Ruffels
Forde // Gorrin // Kelly
Henry // Taylor // Cooper

Discontent... I guess i'd be fairly discontented if I was performing well but not being picked, being played in a position I have little/no experience in, being shown/told about the great players we're going to bring in to not see it materialise, seeing our club captain and experienced CB sold and replaced with a 22 year old non leaguer.

the lack of vocals amongst the players on the pitch was so obvious. Apart from Sam Long, not one player appeared to be trying to gee everyone up. No-one was dishing out a bollocking following a Crewe chance, no-one was rallying the team after a good bit of play.
Quiet little boys. I’ve used that phrase multiple times in recent months because it’s been obvious that on paper we lacked character, and you get absolutely nowhere without it. That nobody apparently spoke up when given the opportunity in the dressing room suggests that this is a fair description. F*ck all to do with hindsight - it’s been obvious and stated time and again.

I hold out hope that one or two of them might actually sprout a sack at some point. Losing is one thing, but frequently rolling over and barely letting out a whimper as we’re given a pounding is fundamentally unacceptable. Desire costs nothing.

Quiet little boys. I’ve used that phrase multiple times in recent months because it’s been obvious that on paper we lacked character, and you get absolutely nowhere without it. That nobody apparently spoke up when given the opportunity in the dressing room suggests that this is a fair description. F*ck all to do with hindsight - it’s been obvious and stated time and again.

I hold out hope that one or two of them might actually sprout a sack at some point. Losing is one thing, but frequently rolling over and barely letting out a whimper as we’re given a pounding is fundamentally unacceptable. Desire costs nothing.
Couldn’t agree more we need some players that tell the players there playing s**t all the teams we’ve had success with have had players that are vocal and this team haven’t got one player who will be vocal and gee the others up we’re spineless we got talent but that alone ent getting us very far unfortunately

Wise words but some of the images that popped up were disturbing 🤣

Also spotted over the last few games how our slow build ups are effecting us at both ends of the pitch. The complete inability to counter attack sides is allowing them to pile 5-6 players into our box when they're attacking. They have nothing to worry about when piling the pressure on, we are never going to break fast enough to get in behind.

There was an instance last night when Sykes collected from their corner and started running at them, waited an age for any teammate to overlap but instead had to turn around and we had 4 players walking/jogging behind him to collect a backwards pass. Not a single player wanted to sprint forward into the space whilst they had nobody back.

Lazy, boring, cowardly football.

Also spotted over the last few games how our slow build ups are effecting us at both ends of the pitch. The complete inability to counter attack sides is allowing them to pile 5-6 players into our box when they're attacking. They have nothing to worry about when piling the pressure on, we are never going to break fast enough to get in behind.

There was an instance last night when Sykes collected from their corner and started running at them, waited an age for any teammate to overlap but instead had to turn around and we had 4 players walking/jogging behind him to collect a backwards pass. Not a single player wanted to sprint forward into the space whilst they had nobody back.

Exactly. Lack of drive and ability to take on a player. Agyei and Cooper can both do this. Where were they last night!!

The problem I think is under KR we always start slowly losing more than we win it’s happened since he walked through the door 🤔 I’m also wondering whether the players are struggling to play with no fans in the ground clutching at straws I know but after last night need to try and find something because KR certainly don’t know why we’re so s**t
Even though it sounds stupid,if you look at all the leagues then there are some clubs in positions you wouldn’t expect them to be in,including teams that are performing better as well as worse off.so maybe clubs do suffer and do actually play better with no crowds.

Even though it sounds stupid,if you look at all the leagues then there are some clubs in positions you wouldn’t expect them to be in,including teams that are performing better as well as worse off.so maybe clubs do suffer and do actually play better with no crowds.
Yeah, I was wondering what last night's performance would have been like if the home fans had been there to offer "encouragement" to the team. Can't help thinking they might have bucked their ideas up a bit.

Last edited:
Problem number 1 : KR is arrogant. Having had some (limited) success at MKD and with us last year, he feels he cannot be advised/contradicted. This applies to supporters’ views (which he must be aware of) - while I accept most of us have limited managerial experience, we can see the obvious.
It was clear at the start of the season, and even more so in the weeks leading up to the end of the last window, that our defence was wobbly. But KR knows best. Let’s buy ANOTHER wide man and ignore the problems across the back four. Clare is a case in point: he is not a defender but clearly has some effect running at the opposition with the ball. He is a midfielder. But KR knows best. He was bought as a right back and that’s where he’s going to stay.
Eastwood, Ruffels, Henry and Kelly are out of form and need replacing, at least in the short term. But dropping any of them would be an admission of failure. KR knows best. While he remains stubborn and immovable with his selection (and consequently with his limited tactics) we will be out-thought and outplayed by mediocre to poor League One teams.
Therein lies disaster. And relegation.

Cometh the hour, Cometh EY.

Right here is a list that only effects OUFC.

Insightful analysis as ever.

It is about degree`s of impact my little churl.

If a team are used to a home gate of 3k or less then an empty/quiet ground is more natural for them.
If a team is used to a three sided ground with people and noise on three sides then nothing is less natural.

The crux of it is that it is "more" than just KR, he can tell them what to do, pick the best team based on training etc.... then it goes to rat s**t and you`ve only got 3 subs to change it.
I would suggest changes should have happened at half time and the paint on the changing room wall should be blistered but that is a personal choice.

It is about degree`s of impact my little churl.

If a team are used to a home gate of 3k or less then an empty/quiet ground is more natural for them.
If a team is used to a three sided ground with people and noise on three sides then nothing is less natural.

The crux of it is that it is "more" than just KR, he can tell them what to do, pick the best team based on training etc.... then it goes to rat s**t and you`ve only got 3 subs to change it.
I would suggest changes should have happened at half time and the paint on the changing room wall should be blistered but that is a personal choice.

Five from Saturday on...not that it would have mattered yesterday, you could have made 11 subs and nothing would have changed.

Last night....was not good.

Prior to the game the Clare vs Pickering/Kirk match up looked wrong, plus Lowery/Wintle essentially up again Gorrin on his own whilst he attempts to plug the gaps and mop up elsewhere. We failed to get Forde/Henry into the match, Taylor just stood up top by himself with no-one anywhere near him (he had 10 touches all match!).

Obviously recruitment has been mentioned, but it looks to me we are almost trying to change our style a little this season. Last year in Fosu, Cadden, Dickie, Baptiste, Browne, Holland we had players who were capable of carrying the ball, committing the opposition and creating space for others. I'm not entirely sure on this years intention, but it very much looks like 'get the ball wide and stick it in the box' - which is pretty ropey as a strategy.

Another thing to add - Dickie started most of our attacks. He could play vertical balls into the midfield who had the ability to turn and drive at the opposition (whilst beating the press and removing opposition players)...that has obviously disappeared with only Atkinson carrying the ball from CB (when he has been fit). This is where the quality of our RB/LB on the ball has been exposed - Moore/Long pass to Ruffels/Clare who primarily just nudge the ball down the line.

For me, last nights worry was the lack of anything creative. In previous games we have lost but created...last night the only threat was from set pieces.

KR's focus should be around securing that defence - Long/Mousinho/Moore/Ruffels - that would be steady (imo!). Put Gorrin as the DM to screen them alongside *probably* Kelly and Forde. I would love to see Cooper start, he brings energy in an out of possession, was my MOTM vs Walsall and can play on the right or left giving decent protection to the defender behind him. I'm torn with the inclusion of Henry - is our most creative player however is too inconsistent this year.

Eastwood
Long // Moore // Mousinho // Ruffels
Forde // Gorrin // Kelly
Henry // Taylor // Cooper

Ruffels, Henry, Kelly and Eastwood are all having terrible runs of form, so no way would I like to see them all starting. Agree that Cooper definitely should be.

Stevens
Long - Moore - Mousinho - Obita
Clare - Gorrin - Forde
Agyei - Taylor - Cooper

or 442!

Stevens
Forde - Moore - Mousinho - Obita
Clare - Sykes - Gorrin - Cooper
Agyei - Taylor

It’s a combination of shirking responsibility but also not knowing how to play their roles. There was one instance in particular in the second half last night when Henry was desperate for Clare to make an overlapping run as he was shielding the ball from two players, which had taken them out of the game and opened up the entire final third down the right side, and Clare just sort of ran up to him, shuffled infield and stood about two yards away from him looking completely lost. Luckily Henry won a foul but it blew a completely open run towards and into the right hand side of the penalty area, and if Crewe had nicked the ball instead of pushing Henry over we would’ve had two of them running freely into a gaping hole at right back. We see that sort of thing too often this season. McGuane is also a total liability even when only coming off the bench for 10 minutes or so (that he recently started a couple of games on the wing is absolutely insane). Does nothing but spin around like a bottle top, fall over or pass the ball backwards to the defence. It allows their entire team to get back behind the ball, sit in and watch on bemusedly as he makes himself dizzy, trying to spin away from players who are only half challenging at best because they know he’s got no interest in beating them or driving towards the box. Nobody is covering themselves in glory lately but Jesus Christ, how some of these things are being allowed to continue is just ludicrous. I would love to know whether nobody actually picks up on these things in terms of analysis, or whether the players are just doing what they want instead of what they’re told.

Are you sure that with Sykes having to turn to pass that the ball wasn’t eventually back for Eastwood to redistribute......that is normally the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom