Home Match Day Thread +++ 17/11/2018 OUFC v Gillingham FC +++

I wasn’t impressed with Bradbury. I feel people want to love him because he’s not obika or Smith, but he really didn’t do that much when he cane on. Beaten in the air frequently and made a few poor first touches. Those are forgivable - but what I really didn’t like was how he seemed like he came on with the intention of ‘getting in the defenders faces’ and was outsmarted by two more experienced pros. Nearly got pulled into an unnecessary scuffle that could have seen him sent off.

A really good brief of Bradbury's game.
I have the opposite opinion on Bradbury, in that I liked that he came on with the intention of getting in the faces of the the two centre backs and therefore giving them a hard time.
Much rather that than the soft touch Smith and Obika are for defenders.

I agree that he didn't win that much in the air, but I bet the defenders much preferred playing against Smith.

I also disagree with the poster who thought he was slow.

For a youngster in his first ever league appearance I thought he did well, and definitely could be a good player for us given a bit of time.

I’m surprised at the general negativity on this thread.

We weren’t brilliant but I enjoyed the game. We were ‘almost good’ on quite a few occasions, only for the final ball to let us down. We were certainly the team trying to play an attractive style.

Gillingham’s style progressively deteriorated, making it difficult to build up momentum. On that display, I certainly think we have the more talented players.

I don’t understand the Bradbury love in. Ability-wise he looked limited and very raw. Attitude and effort, much more encouraging. Still, first game and all of that but had Obika produced the same appearance, many in here would be demanding his summary execution. I wish him well and hope that he’s one of those players for whom coaching harnesses and enhances their physical attributes.

Seven unbeaten and a much tighter defensive line is a solid platform and I feel increasingly positive about the season.

COYY

It was clear Holmes was gutting that game out today and was really not near 100% fit. His back got progressively worse as the game went on which is why his running style got more and more robotic.

Credit to him for taking one for the team today.
Holmes was our stand-out player in my opinion. Most of our threat came through him.

We weren’t brilliant but I enjoyed the game. We were ‘almost good’ on quite a few occasions, only for the final ball to let us down. We were certainly the team trying to play an attractive style.

Gillingham’s style progressively deteriorated, making it difficult to build up momentum. On that display, I certainly think we have the more talented players.

I don’t understand the Bradbury love in. Ability-wise he looked limited and very raw. Attitude and effort, much more encouraging. Still, first game and all of that but had Obika produced the same appearance, many in here would be demanding his summary execution. I wish him well and hope that he’s one of those players for whom coaching harnesses and enhances their physical attributes.

Seven unbeaten and a much tighter defensive line is a solid platform and I feel increasingly positive about the season.

COYY

Bradbury jumped for the ball and put himself about, something Obika has never done. It wasn’t a great performance in the short time he was on but it, in a raw way, was more effective than a Smith or Obika non performance.

He is an interesting option off the bench for me, nothing more at the minute, but that’s ok at his age.

I dont know what everybody is moaning about. Most of us walked along Knights Road feeling pretty happy. I i must have seen a different game, Smith put himself about a bit more than usual. A goal might give him the confidence needed. Lets see what he can do on Tuesday.

I don’t think Bradbury was that greattobe honest, but just had a bit more presence about him than Smith.
I understand where you’re coming from regarding Bradbury but he’s young and enthusiastic so hopefully he will get better as he progresses each weak. No he didn’t win anything in the air and he may have felt overawed with the situation but time wil tell.

I dont know what everybody is moaning about. Most of us walked along Knights Road feeling pretty happy. I i must have seen a different game, Smith put himself about a bit more than usual. A goal might give him the confidence needed. Lets see what he can do on Tuesday.
His time will be up with Oxford soon. Sorry but he hasn’t made the trade for Oxford, he may get a chance on Tuesday or Robbo might give Mackie the shout

COYY
Exactly my thoughts too.

Were fans expecting Bradbury to come on be the next Alan Shearer?! Yesterday was the guys first ever experience in league football. He put himself about, made life difficult for their centre backs and even got them both booked.

It's hard enough to come on and get straight up to speed with the game as a experienced pro let alone a young lad who was making his league debut.

As for not winning anything in the air, well 1, he was up against a player who had premier league experience and 2, the balls up to him weren't the best to say the least.

Lets not get too negative on a player so early on in his career.

Were fans expecting Bradbury to come on be the next Alan Shearer?! Yesterday was the guys first ever experience in league football. He put himself about, made life difficult for their centre backs and even got them both booked.

It's hard enough to come on and get straight up to speed with the game as a experienced pro let alone a young lad who was making his league debut.

As for not winning anything in the air, well 1, he was up against a player who had premier league experience and 2, the balls up to him weren't the best to say the least.

I don’t think people are being negative about HB. But there’s a sense that his performance is being talked up to represent something that it wasn’t.

Hopefully he has a big future for us but yesterday didn’t give me much insight into that eventuality, which is no surprise at this stage of his career.

Indeed, the lad had two players on him from the off. Most of the balls played to him were in the air, he didn't get much of a chance to run with the ball. Yes he is raw, but he wasn't phased by facing a quality player. Well done Harvey.

No classic but you’re a bit negative in my opinion. . We were extremely solid at the back and were the better team. ( How many chances did they have?)

Browne infuriates with his greediness but was the best player on the pitch. He has a trick and is pacy.

Smith should never be seen again. Not good enough.

Bradbury terribly raw but made their centre backs work at least.

My MOTM Mousinho. Never made a mistake.
Browns back heel nutmeg on their defender was fantastic, if a premier player did that it would be played over and over, no doubt.

The service our strikers get in the current team is pretty poor, and regardless of who is playing up front will struggle IMO. On an age note I think both Smith and Bradbury are the same age but ones age is getting recognition and not the other on here in justification for their performance.

The service our strikers get in the current team is pretty poor, and regardless of who is playing up front will struggle IMO. On an age note I think both Smith and Bradbury are the same age but ones age is getting recognition and not the other on here in justification for their performance.

Bradbury has played 16 national league south games. Smith has played 18 football league games, 8 of those in the championship. To be honest I would say Smith should be offering a lot more than Bradbury right now and should certainly look more of a threat.

I thought it was a very good gritty performance from the whole team yesterday and I like the fact that we have become very difficult to score against.
We continue our unbeaten run and another clean sheet which can only build confidence.

COYY

Bradbury has played 16 national league south games. Smith has played 18 football league games, 8 of those in the championship. To be honest I would say Smith should be offering a lot more than Bradbury right now and should certainly look more of a threat.
I thought smith had a bit of a better game yesterday, he closed the defenders down more and blocked a few clearances but he’s paid to score goals, something he’s struggling to do, that’s what he’s judged on.

I thought smith had a bit of a better game yesterday, he closed the defenders down more and blocked a few clearances but he’s paid to score goals, something he’s struggling to do, that’s what he’s judged on.
I don’t even think it’s the lack of goals with Smith, it’s the lack of almost anything. The fact that he made a couple of tackles on their defenders and closed them down a handful of times is the bare minimum you should ever expect from a forward, and that doing this is seen as him showing a bit more than usual is quite damning.

Bet all those idiots who used to jeer Ryan Taylor are enjoying our centre forward problems of recent times. His touch, vision and ability to link up play isn’t so useless now, is it?

Back
Top Bottom