Home Match Day Thread +++ 17/11/2018 OUFC v Gillingham FC +++

A pretty terrible game between two sides who I felt were quite obviously in the bottom quarter. Two bald blokes fighting over a comb would be a pretty fair description, I’d say. However, today was very much a case of win at all costs, and none of us should really grumble at that, especially given how incredibly patched up the whole thing was. The job was done, by hook or by crook, and for that I and everyone else has to be pleased. We got what we set out to get, and what we needed, which was three points and a place outside of the red for the first time this season.

I have to say, though, without wanting to seem too negative in victory, that we have to get shot of Smith and keep him away from the pitch wherever possible until we can. I have no idea what he’s meant to be. He isn’t a speed merchant, a poacher, a link up man, a target man, isn’t a tricky skillster... I genuinely don’t know what he actually does. Bradbury showed how raw and in need of development he is, but he was definitely no worse than Smith, and at least he’s our player who can only improve over time. I think we’ve all seen enough of the guy now, sadly.

Still, we won. Two big league games in three days coming up soon...

Seen people say it was a soft penalty, there goalie makes blatant and clear contact with Brownes leg when the ball has gone past him, doesn’t matter how much and doesn’t matter that Browne isn’t going to get the ball, that’s a stone wall penalty. It was a stupid one to give away but it was a spot kick.

I thought a telling thing after the penalty award, while some of his team mates were making a song and dance in the corner, one of their players ran straight towards their keeper and was calling him a "stupid f***ing c***" (by my admittedly limited lip reading skills).

The penalty today was for me very similar to the Eastwood one given away at Charlton, both goalies found themselves in risky territory and the attaching players made the most out of the situation.

Just nice for us to prosper from one for a change!

Robinson - 'we throw Sam Long in todaybecause different circumstances dont allow you to play the team you want'. Why does he keep coming out with this stuff? Sam must have been delighted with his start today and in one thoughtless comment he's deflated his tyres. That's not how you get the most out of people or your squad. Mapp would have said somthing kike 'He's been training hard and deserved his opportunity today. Glad results are on the turn but it is a bugbear of mjne the way KR keeps running players down in interviews.

His post match interview on Rad Ox I thought he was very complimentary about the lad. He had a good game, to be fair probably the best I've seen him play for us

His post match interview on Rad Ox I thought he was very complimentary about the lad. He had a good game, to be fair probably the best I've seen him play for us

I'm quoting the iPlayer interview verbatim. He does it all the time.

Well obviously a win was the main thing. And somehow we got one.

Telling that is was a penalty that won it mind you, we didn't really create much of any note, Henry's shot that hit the post excepted. Our other efforts were longish shots. And for that reason I find it hard to be too down on Smith. As a striker, you would hope and expect there to be a few balls in the box you could latch on to, but there as nothing. I'm not saying we should keep playing him, but the way we play doesn't give him much chance! Bradbury replaced him and I will say that he was much more physical. So much so that if he starts a match he will have to be taken off after his inevitable first yellow! It might well be something we need, but he will have to either tone it down a bit, or be more subtle! As far as scoring goals is concerned he didn't look any better than Smith (caveat: he's young, wasn't on for long and it was his home debut), let's hope he grows into the role quickly. Even if he is very raw, I'd rather see him on the pitch than the odious Nile Ranger...

I thought we were pretty awful in the first half, better in the second. Fairly secure at the back (Long and Ruffels did well, I thought), toothless in attack. As has been the case quite often this season, I struggle to see what we are trying to do. It's too slow, too one pass forward then one back, not enough movement on or off the ball.

Both teams were pretty poor and looked like lower half of the table fodder.

Let's not be seduced into thinking that fifth from bottom is some sort of achievement - it is just a bit better than awful.

I liked the way we battled, won second balls and passed the ball around, particularly in midfield, keeping possession is a good thing, whatever anyone else says. Was worried that the defence would be upset by the change but no problems except a couple of mistakes by Curtis - one led to their disallowed goal - lucky let off. Thought Sam Long was very good, pleased for him.

Obviously there's a problem with the final ball. Harvey didn't do anything wrong but the change up top made no difference whatsoever so for me it's the decision making at the front. Too many overhit passes, poor crosses, not passing.

That apart I enjoyed today, wasn't a penalty but it's about time we got a decision.

Not a great crowd but meant we were on the a34 before Bazza was on the radio - unheard of! A win is a win and we're above the line - COYY!

We were poor to mediocre today, from where we sat it was a penalty all day long. By the way we didn’t win that many second balls, and Bradbury is a work in progress his first league game, and it looked it but he will come good. Oh and I had to wait to get to my car before I could speak on the radio.
But as you say a win is a win and out of the relegation zone.

Just got back to Chester. I dull game that only came to life after 70 minutes.

Both teams in the first half were dreadful. I thought over all Long, Dickie, Mous and Brannagan were good today. Holmes was awful, shellfish and clumsy. Henry was also poor and before the penalty you wouldn’t of realised he was on the pitch. I think we can safely say Smith will be returned as he offered nothing.

On the penalty it was a stone wall one from where I was stood.

It’s a big positive that we managed to grind out a win as a few months back we would of lost that.

You forgot Henry’s curler that hit the post, but I agree you wouldn’t have noticed him before the penalty.

I thought it was an entertaining game and both teams were not that bad. We edged it imo. our final ball was lacking a number of times with some clever build up play. Bradbury looked very slow when he came on but gave the defence and outlet with long balls to his head.

Yes I went as I do most weeks.
I think your summary was nonsense. Well done for your longer journey.

As much as I care what you think of which ever summary you are talking about. I watch a game, I have my own opinion of what I see. That's the beauty of a forum.

It was clear Holmes was gutting that game out today and was really not near 100% fit. His back got progressively worse as the game went on which is why his running style got more and more robotic.

Credit to him for taking one for the team today.

I felt today’s game was poor and lacklustre. Dickie was good as wash Josh Browne used his pace well, Harvey Bradbury is one for the future worknin progress but will certainly be an asset for us, Sam Smith can go back wanted so much for the young man but he hasn’t done anything of more yet. Certainly missed Whyte’s pace. I think Gillingham were in our faces quite a bit and we didn’t get in theirs. But 3 points is what we wanted and what we got, definitely a penalty, but o would really like to see one from open play which we almost got through James Henry. Roll on Bradford 3 more points COYY. No I haven’t forgotten about the FA cup not to bothered about that this season but if we can win a bit more money.

I don’t think Bradbury was that greattobe honest, but just had a bit more presence about him than Smith.

Well obviously a win was the main thing. And somehow we got one.

Telling that is was a penalty that won it mind you, we didn't really create much of any note, Henry's shot that hit the post excepted. Our other efforts were longish shots. And for that reason I find it hard to be too down on Smith. As a striker, you would hope and expect there to be a few balls in the box you could latch on to, but there as nothing. I'm not saying we should keep playing him, but the way we play doesn't give him much chance! Bradbury replaced him and I will say that he was much more physical. So much so that if he starts a match he will have to be taken off after his inevitable first yellow! It might well be something we need, but he will have to either tone it down a bit, or be more subtle! As far as scoring goals is concerned he didn't look any better than Smith (caveat: he's young, wasn't on for long and it was his home debut), let's hope he grows into the role quickly. Even if he is very raw, I'd rather see him on the pitch than the odious Nile Ranger...

I thought we were pretty awful in the first half, better in the second. Fairly secure at the back (Long and Ruffels did well, I thought), toothless in attack. As has been the case quite often this season, I struggle to see what we are trying to do. It's too slow, too one pass forward then one back, not enough movement on or off the ball.

Both teams were pretty poor and looked like lower half of the table fodder.

Let's not be seduced into thinking that fifth from bottom is some sort of achievement - it is just a bit better than awful.

No classic but you’re a bit negative in my opinion. . We were extremely solid at the back and were the better team. ( How many chances did they have?)

Browne infuriates with his greediness but was the best player on the pitch. He has a trick and is pacy.

Smith should never be seen again. Not good enough.

Bradbury terribly raw but made their centre backs work at least.

My MOTM Mousinho. Never made a mistake.

No classic but you’re a bit negative in my opinion. . We were extremely solid at the back and were the better team. ( How many chances did they have?)

Browne infuriates with his greediness but was the best player on the pitch. He has a trick and is pacy.

Let’s face it, they were all pretty good, apart from the centre forward. Story of our season

I thought Browne put in a couple of quality crosses (one to Henry - shot off the post) and played in some nice passes. I just feel he doesn’t think it has to be about him, because if he could do that he’d be 1000% better, but I guess if Robinson keeps praising him his head will only get bigger.

I often wonder if the military personnel wish they were back on the frontline rather than having to endure some of our matches!

We tend not to perform very well on military day which is a real shame, but I guess we won.

Back
Top Bottom