Away Match Day Thread 17-10-2020 L1 Peterborough United v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having watched the extended highlights I don't think we played that bad. Yes Peterborough are streets ahead of us in skill at the moment and just deserved to win, but I think we are makiing a lot of fuss. It will get better.
Yes it’s just the usual suspects panicking after 5 games , it happens every year . We all know what happens , we finally get our act together and go on a good run .

Random thoughts the day after another disappointing away game

confidence isnt as good as it should be in the squad currently

While Easty (as per) made several good saves/ stops during the game, for me both goals were (at least) partially
due to basic goalkeeping errors on his part ... for the first, what was he doing so far out of his goal/ 6 yard box?

for the second, the shot seemed to go straight through his legs?
Not for one minute do I think Easty is rubbish or finished, however, basic errors on a regular basis - so far this season-( and that's generously parking the playoff semi & final) shouldn't be happening a frequently from your number 1 keeper. Maybe bring Jack Stevens in for tuesdays match and that will be the proverbial kick up the a**e needed?

Clare , I thought, had possibly his best game so far yesterday, which was helped no end by Sykes 'covering' often ( until he was surprisingly subbed off!)- Sykes covering defensively for Clare meant he was deeper/ further back than we've seen him , and therefore wasn't as effective as he can be going forward/ attacking. Albeit he did venture forward a few times, providing crosses and taking the odd hopeful pot shot

Ruffels coming back from injury still isn't 100% match fit, it seemed to me neither Forde or Henry 'helped out' defensively on the left, the same way Sykes did for Clare. Ruffs will hopefully be back to his usual 7-8/10 performances, he was unlucky a couple of times when he did make a rare foray forward

Chances/ half chances were created again, but our strikers and attacking midfielders are all firing blanks currently- all players have 'off days'/ dip in form- its rare, ( although does seem its happening at OUFC atm) that all those likely goalscorers are all having off days/ dips in form

We have a decent(ish) squad of players, although defensively, its damn frustrating that a couple on injuries- have compounded the hole left by Dickie's departure

Im still confident ( though that confidence is wearing a bit thin now) that the team/squad will come good.... thing is it needs to be sooner rather than later.... starting Tuesday night, and building a momentum that continues on Saturday and beyond
when a long ball is played from the opponents half no Goalkeeper is going to be stood in the 6 yard box Sarge, he will positioned near to and often just outside the 18 yard box ready to sweep up. With regards to the 2nd was he unsighted?
i will refer to my previous post and the importence of a settled back 5 and in fact a 6 as Gorrin's absence should not be under estimated which we have been unfortunate not to have.

If we all though it was going well, we’d not have much of a forum. At least it gives us something to talk about... well until the next change window (god forbid)

when a long ball is played from the opponents half no Goalkeeper is going to be stood in the 6 yard box Sarge, he will positioned near to and often just outside the 18 yard box ready to sweep up. With regards to the 2nd was he unsighted?
i will refer to my previous post and the importence of a settled back 5 and in fact a 6 as Gorrin's absence should not be under estimated which we have been unfortunate not to have.
fair comment

Brannagan's absence is a big miss too

Sorry but there’s no way Eastwood’s positioning was right for the first goal.

Second goal is less of an error, through the legs happens to keepers when it’s struck hard and low and right at them. Still makes them look silly and a great keeper adjusts his feet but you can forgive it. For the first goal however he was absolutely stuck in no-mans land - neither one nor t’other

Hanson must be one of the most talked about players that’s never really played for us, even Robinson said he never wanted him, I hope he reads this forum, him and John narbett could sit in a room and talk about the career they never had at Oxford but how much money they took out of the club.
Could T'sun Dai join them as well, along with Pekalski?

Could T'sun Dai join them as well, along with Pekalski?

Didn’t we sell T’Sun Dai for a fee? And Pekalski was unlucky with injures, we could sign a young Steven Gerrard and then if he immediately broke his leg he wouldn’t feature for us

Didn’t we sell T’Sun Dai for a fee? And Pekalski was unlucky with injures, we could sign a young Steven Gerrard and then if he immediately broke his leg he wouldn’t feature for us
Was just thinking of talked about players who didn't really play for us. Dai went to Wolves for a tidy sum I think.

Pekalski was fit for some of his time here, just along with Hanson was a strange player to pay a fee for and give big wages to.

I should imagine Hanson will go on to have as much impact after leaving us (he isn’t going anywhere unfortunately, why would he walk away from a good job earner over the next 18 months when he will not command anywhere near as much elsewhere - even before Covid and especially now) as Pekalski has, we have made plenty of good signings over the last 5 years so a few clangers are bound to happen to balance it out.

I thought we was rubbish , but others didn’t think so . But all I can see is the Swindon game being over the horizon , and we are going to lose unless we up our game quickly.

Yes it’s just the usual suspects panicking after 5 games , it happens every year . We all know what happens , we finally get our act together and go on a good run .
Well let's just hope that KR isn't as complacent as some of the posters on here!
Our poor starts in the previous two seasons were offset by the presence of players like Nelson, Whyte, Baptiste, Fosu, Cadden and Dickie. There's no evidence to suggest that the likes of Kelly, Clare, McGuane etc are up to that standard.
Three poor starts in a row is the kind of pattern that rightly gives cause for concern.

Sorry but there’s no way Eastwood’s positioning was right for the first goal.

Second goal is less of an error, through the legs happens to keepers when it’s struck hard and low and right at them. Still makes them look silly and a great keeper adjusts his feet but you can forgive it. For the first goal however he was absolutely stuck in no-mans land - neither one nor t’other
sorry but i will disagree with you although you don't suggest where you felt he should be?

Let's be clear here, if he stays on his line people would then ask what was he doing as the striker picks his spot to tap it in..,i am afraid that was one of those freak moments when a punt forward fell right for the attacker and it could be argued was a great pass either intended or by accident.

Well let's just hope that KR isn't as complacent as some of the posters on here!
Our poor starts in the previous two seasons were offset by the presence of players like Nelson, Whyte, Baptiste, Fosu, Cadden and Dickie. There's no evidence to suggest that the likes of Kelly, Clare, McGuane etc are up to that standard.
Three poor starts in a row is the kind of pattern that rightly gives cause for concern.
it's as i've pointed out many times, with our model there is very little margin for error as you're gambling on the conveyor belt keep churning them out, add to this filling the squad with Loans that whilst maybe good to watch at times rarely become permanent thus leading to a squad overhaul every summer.
In the summer just past some fans were just looking at the future value of players like Atkinson and how much Dickie was worth so when the emphasis or need is on sales you do sometimes have to accept what might just follow.

it's as i've pointed out many times, with our model there is very little margin for error as you're gambling on the conveyor belt keep churning them out, add to this filling the squad with Loans that whilst maybe good to watch at times rarely become permanent thus leading to a squad overhaul every summer.
In the summer just past some fans were just looking at the future value of players like Atkinson and how much Dickie was worth so when the emphasis or need is on sales you do sometimes have to accept what might just follow.
I do get that, but we share this model with nearly all the other L1 clubs. It doesn't explain why it's us who have become such habitual poor starters.

How’s this not a penalty? Think it’s time for referees to do a press conference after every game to justify there decisions.
Although I don't think refs should do press conferences I do think they should be required to give written answers to a specific number of written questions from clubs.

In this case it wouldn't help though as the ref would simply say he didn't see it however it would come onto its own when refs gives decisions for things that didn't happen as it would highlight their level of competence/incompetence.

Although I don't think refs should do press conferences I do think they should be required to give written answers to a specific number of written questions from clubs.

In this case it wouldn't help though as the ref would simply say he didn't see it however it would come onto its own when refs gives decisions for things that didn't happen as it would highlight their level of competence/incompetence.
Maybe not a press conference but I think they should definitely have there notes at the end of the game explaining decisions released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom