Away Match Day Thread 17-10-2020 L1 Peterborough United v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanson and Mcguane on the bench and not featuring again. To think we paid good money for Hanson and how many minutes has he played fortunately one of the very few mistakes the recruitment team have made. I think Mcguane needs to be given a chance surely he can improve. The defence is obvously a concern I think Stevens should start on tuesday. Not panicking yet but two more defeats................COYY

The lump sum that would be required to pay off the remaining 20-odd months of Hanson’s contract would make your eyes water. You might even let a little bit of wee out. It was always the case previously that only players who were free agents when the transfer window closed could sign for another club before the next window. Otherwise players would be released only to magically sign for another club a day or two later all year long. Has that been changed in light of Covid?

Yes; agree it would be both sizeable, and undeniably a waste. There would be absolutely no point unless we had somebody better primed to come in. But his wages are funds we will have budgeted for, albeit over this season and next. It’s the extra wage that represents funds that won’t have been allocated already.

I can’t see why the cut-off dates for free agents is significant if the limit to two clubs per year endures, but I agree it won’t have changed for CREWEVID-19.

It’s highly unlikely that e.g. Boreham Wood will offer to take over Hanson’s contract. So again my curiosity; there’s been an article on the Mail website mooting some movement. Does any HR expert on here know what we could be planning?

So I might be being thick here but we have to register our squad before next week ?? So couldn’t we just say to the players who out here but not in our plans ones like Hanson hall maybe even Mousinho that there not going to be registered in our 22 man squad until at least January where hopefully we could get rid of Hanson and hall that would then free up 3 places for new players or as I say am I being thick with this new rule

So I might be being thick here but we have to register our squad before next week ?? So couldn’t we just say to the players who out here but not in our plans ones like Hanson hall maybe even Mousinho that there not going to be registered in our 22 man squad until at least January where hopefully we could get rid of Hanson and hall that would then free up 3 places for new players or as I say am I being thick with this new rule
Hall is in Robbo’s plans and it seems they’re persevering with Hanson as a last choice option he’s probably on a good wage so maybe they don’t want to completely shut him out

Regarding free agents, it may be slightly different this year (although everything from the efl is as vague as always!)

We don't need to register players until this week so there could be a number of clubs who have been unable to move players on but do not want to register them (Jamie Hanson). They would still be getting paid so not free agents as such, but with no registration they could argue that they "restraint of trade" similar to the Bosman ruling. That might lead to contracts bring paid up and players allowed to move.

If that was the case, I think I'd rather stick with Hanson until January and try to move him on then. Anyone coming in would need another month or so of training unless playing regularly before (which would be strange) and would likely only be squad players anyway. I'm not sure that we'd get a first team ready centre back now, when we couldn't get one last week.

Regarding free agents, it may be slightly different this year (although everything from the efl is as vague as always!)

We don't need to register players until this week so there could be a number of clubs who have been unable to move players on but do not want to register them (Jamie Hanson). They would still be getting paid so not free agents as such, but with no registration they could argue that they "restraint of trade" similar to the Bosman ruling. That might lead to contracts bring paid up and players allowed to move.

If that was the case, I think I'd rather stick with Hanson until January and try to move him on then. Anyone coming in would need another month or so of training unless playing regularly before (which would be strange) and would likely only be squad players anyway. I'm not sure that we'd get a first team ready centre back now, when we couldn't get one last week.
But the defence has got to be what Robinson is looking at has we have far more options in midfield and the forward players.

But the defence has got to be what Robinson is looking at has we have far more options in midfield and the forward players.

I agree, but I'm not sure that a free agent offers us anything more now than those who were available last week.

The problem is that very few players were being released on loan compared with previous seasons, and those that did often looked at clubs close to their homes. With local lockdowns and the potential for wider national ones, players are understandably looking to stay at home. That massively limited who we could get in.

If we could pick up an experienced and ready to play centre back as a free agent then great, and if that meant losing Hanson (the most obvious choice) then I'd live with that. But I just can't see these players suddenly becoming available.

Hanson must be one of the most talked about players that’s never really played for us, even Robinson said he never wanted him, I hope he reads this forum, him and John narbett could sit in a room and talk about the career they never had at Oxford but how much money they took out of the club.

Hanson must be one of the most talked about players that’s never really played for us, even Robinson said he never wanted him, I hope he reads this forum, him and John narbett could sit in a room and talk about the career they never had at Oxford but how much money they took out of the club.
Socially distanced obviously. Bit like their careers.

If that's referring to this summer, it can only really be about one or two players. Karl knew what he was getting with the likes of Taylor and Kelly, whilst Cooper and Winnall haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet and Osei Yaw was never signed as a starter. It has to come down to Clare and McGuane. Clare hasn't made the best of starts (but that can be said for the rest of the side), but by all accounts was much better today.

McGuane was someone who started the first few games of the season but now finds himself resigned to the bench for most games. Whilst I don't want to speculate too much, there's something that isn't right when you have a 21-year-old who went through the Arsenal and Barca youth systems (even training with their first team), was signed by Championship Nottingham and now can't get into the starting XI of a League One side. Because it's only a loan it's risk free, if it doesn't work then we can send him back in January. But I do hope he shows the kind of things here that saw him join two of the world's best academies.

And if that KR comment is referring to players who were already at the club, he clearly means Jamie Hanson. I don't like commenting on appearances, but as a professional footballer he looks like he's carrying a bit too much timber, and he's on the fringes of the side. Forde taking a central midfield place ahead of him is a surefire sign that he's only here to make up the numbers and he's not going to play a big part at the club in the future. We can still loan players out to National League sides, and I think we might do that in this case.
McGuane is similar to Jerome Sinclair has promise but will the promise ever be seen.

so we sit bottom of the League people are saying our defence and defending is awful despite being unble to name the same back 5 and some fans solution include

Swap The Goalkeeper

Put our much needed and highly underated DM at centre Half

Put the guy who has been criticised by many back to the position where said criticism originated from (although he appears not appreciated wherever he plays )

put a guy into midfield who to date has struggled to put 2 passes together, appears to have little pace and crossing has been awful

Play the on loan fella because he once was on the books at Arsenal and Barcelona despite doing very little of note when played (not selected because of it)

we are going through a tough spell,have been unable to name a settled side especially in defence where it appears many don't realize or understand how important this is.
We have some very decent players acknowleged by most when they signed who for various reasons are below par yet people suddenly pick holes in them,want them binned off and have a dig at the recruitment.
I've said it before and always get sarcastic comments but if you want our model,continue to chat about players value and watch them leave then sometimes you have to accept what might possibly follow because constant new additions are not always going to hit the ground running.

It does appear that we are sometimes not allowed to lose a game of football but how anyone who has "actually watched" the games to date can conclude we are s**t going to struggle and might even be risking League One status is beyond me.

so we sit bottom of the League people are saying our defence and defending is awful despite being unble to name the same back 5 and some fans solution include

Swap The Goalkeeper

Put the guy who has been criticised by many back to the position where said criticism originated from (although he appears not appreciated wherever he plays )

put a guy into midfield who to date has struggled to put 2 passes together, appears to have little pace and crossing has been awful

Play the on loan fella because he once was on the books at Arsenal and Barcelona despite doing very little of note when played (not selected because of it)

we are going through a tough spell,have been unable to name a settled side especially in defence where it appears many don't realize or understand how important this is.
We have some very decent players acknowleged by most when they signed who for various reasons are below par yet people suddenly pick holes in them,want them binned off and have a dig at the recruitment.
I've said it before and always get sarcastic comments but if you want our model,continue to chat about players value and watch them leave then sometimes you have to accept what might possibly follow because constant new additions are not always going to hit the ground running.

It does appear that we are sometimes not allowed to lose a game of football but how anyone who has "actually watched" the games to date can conclude we are s**t going to struggle and might even be risking League One status is beyond me

Exactly right.

Undoubtedly a number of players aren't performing at the moment, but that doesn't make them bad players. Matt Taylor has struggled, Brannagan missed an open goal and has looked less confident, Henry started poorly and is just beginning to find his rhythm. Ruffels missed 2 great chances yesterday and is still recovering for being out. Long has played in 47 different positions. Moore has had 3 different partners at the back. Eastwood has learned how to punch, but occasionally hits players first!

This has nothing to do with recruitment. These are players who were not only solid league 1 players, but were fundamental to us nearly getting promoted last season.

We need a proper run of games to get us to click and then we have more than enough potential to be challenged at the top of this league. Randomly we've only played at home once, and the new covid world makes preparation a mess. Back to back home game, especially with Swindon as part of that, should help us get back a bit of the stability we all need. The next few weeks won't be pretty, but a couple of wins and everything looks a lot better!!

Exactly right.

Undoubtedly a number of players aren't performing at the moment, but that doesn't make them bad players. Matt Taylor has struggled, Brannagan missed an open goal and has looked less confident, Henry started poorly and is just beginning to find his rhythm. Ruffels missed 2 great chances yesterday and is still recovering for being out. Long has played in 47 different positions. Moore has had 3 different partners at the back. Eastwood has learned how to punch, but occasionally hits players first!

This has nothing to do with recruitment. These are players who were not only solid league 1 players, but were fundamental to us nearly getting promoted last season.

We need a proper run of games to get us to click and then we have more than enough potential to be challenged at the top of this league. Randomly we've only played at home once, and the new covid world makes preparation a mess. Back to back home game, especially with Swindon as part of that, should help us get back a bit of the stability we all need. The next few weeks won't be pretty, but a couple of wins and everything looks a lot better!!

Also, It would have helped if it wasn't stop start (***waves at Crewe***) after the Accrington game breaking any momentum/confidence we had gained.

As I said on another thread. This happens every season.
The fact that we are always late getting a squad together and never get going until we are about 10 games in.
And of course the constant injuries. Is it bad planning or bad luck.

Random thoughts the day after another disappointing away game

confidence isnt as good as it should be in the squad currently

While Easty (as per) made several good saves/ stops during the game, for me both goals were (at least) partially
due to basic goalkeeping errors on his part ... for the first, what was he doing so far out of his goal/ 6 yard box?
for the second, the shot seemed to go straight through his legs?
Not for one minute do I think Easty is rubbish or finished, however, basic errors on a regular basis - so far this season-( and that's generously parking the playoff semi & final) shouldn't be happening a frequently from your number 1 keeper. Maybe bring Jack Stevens in for tuesdays match and that will be the proverbial kick up the a**e needed?

Clare , I thought, had possibly his best game so far yesterday, which was helped no end by Sykes 'covering' often ( until he was surprisingly subbed off!)- Sykes covering defensively for Clare meant he was deeper/ further back than we've seen him , and therefore wasn't as effective as he can be going forward/ attacking. Albeit he did venture forward a few times, providing crosses and taking the odd hopeful pot shot

Ruffels coming back from injury still isn't 100% match fit, it seemed to me neither Forde or Henry 'helped out' defensively on the left, the same way Sykes did for Clare. Ruffs will hopefully be back to his usual 7-8/10 performances, he was unlucky a couple of times when he did make a rare foray forward

Chances/ half chances were created again, but our strikers and attacking midfielders are all firing blanks currently- all players have 'off days'/ dip in form- its rare, ( although does seem its happening at OUFC atm) that all those likely goalscorers are all having off days/ dips in form

We have a decent(ish) squad of players, although defensively, its damn frustrating that a couple on injuries- have compounded the hole left by Dickie's departure

Im still confident ( though that confidence is wearing a bit thin now) that the team/squad will come good.... thing is it needs to be sooner rather than later.... starting Tuesday night, and building a momentum that continues on Saturday and beyond

Agyei was covering ruff. Running battle with Nob Thompson first half.

Swap The Goalkeeper

It does appear that we are sometimes not allowed to lose a game of football but how anyone who has "actually watched" the games to date can conclude we are s**t going to struggle and might even be risking League One status is beyond me.
Nothing too much wrong with the team on the games I have seen. Claire looks OK against Peterborough and Gillingham. The issue is the non replacement of Rob Dickie. Atkinson will be a decent player in time, but it's a big step up. Sam Long isn't L1 standard and never has been. He's a squad player for 5-10 games/season and no more. KR needs to get in an experienced L1 CH (who talks). A 30 year old version of Mousinho. KR will know that. There are players out there who are unattached. The main issue at the moment is that we are plugging gaps in our own half. We should beat MK and Swindon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom