Home Match Day Thread 17-04-2021 L1 OUFC v Gillingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gillingham are coming in for a bit of undeserved stick, here. They played well and were much better than us until Winnall’s goal.

They were direct, but let’s not pretend that we were shy of the long ball after tediously-long periods of side-to-side breath-catching.

What we lacked in performance, we made up for in sheer-bloody-mindedness, though.

They have also caused alot of the top 10 clubs issues. If Peterborough beat them on Tuesday they will be the only team to beat them home and away from the top 10. The only reason we are 6 points ahead of Gillingham is we have had better results against the bottom half of the table.

I don't like the style of football but you can see it is affective against the teams that try to play football. I guess that's why their results are better against the top half then they are against the bottom teams who play a similar style to them.

Gillingham are coming in for a bit of undeserved stick, here. They played well and were much better than us until Winnall’s goal.

They were direct, but let’s not pretend that we were shy of the long ball after tediously-long periods of side-to-side breath-catching.

What we lacked in performance, we made up for in sheer-bloody-mindedness, though.

Totally agree. They weren't anything like as agricultural as many we've faced and played some decent football at times.

Evans' sides tend to be like that: very well versed in the dark arts, but also able to play a bit.

We have to remember what an "honest " bloke the fat man is!

Evans was suspended by Boston as manager on 4 July 2002 after a much-publicised Football Association (The FA) investigation into "contract irregularities".[10] He later resigned as manager of the club in September 2002, after still being suspended by the club.[11] He was found guilty by The FA in December 2002 of impeding an FA inquiry into contract irregularities.[12] Evans was also suspended from the game for 20 months in January 2003 for involvement of the affairs of Boston,[13] in which players' contracts lodged with the FA contained false salary details.[9] Evans was further accused of impeding the inquiry and fined £8,000.[9] Evans lodged an appeal against charges in May 2003,[14] but The FA rejected his appeal later that month and the punishment stood.[15] Evans later pleaded guilty in court to conspiring to cheat the public revenue, and was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years.[16][2]

Just watched back the last 25 minutes but with the Gillingham commentary. Most enjoyable!!!

Tbf to their commentators I thought they were reasonable doing the same.

Watching some of it back did lead to some additional thoughts though:

- Jack Stevens and the Goalkeeping team need to work on getting crosses when the opposition crowd around him as he didn't have his finest game on that score. I'm not talking 1st half where the sun was an additional factor but in the 2nd half where he had 1 or 2 when he should (and can) do better.

- After Sam Winnall's excellent strike, Gillingham looked drained and like they were running in Treacle. From Sam Winnall's goal to God's equaliser, it was pretty much attack vs defence as Gillingham literally had the 10 outfield players back near their penalty area for that period. Rob Atkinson basically played in midfield whilst Ruffs and God played as wide midfielders.

- Agyei clearly terrified their defence as they just started trying to foul him whenever he got the ball.

- Small point but something that irritated me when watching live. Ryan Jackson I don't think took a throw in from the right place often stealing at least 10/15 yeards (often more) so as to make a long throw a viable option and the Ref did nothing. Yet when we were on top both Sam Long and Josh Ruffels got told where to take throw ins even though we don't really have a long throw option.

The pain in his face, when he says Oxford are six points in front now! Thought he was going to 😢
More likely he just realised the canteen was closed, and he wasn’t gonna get his usual two Sunday roast dinners, and was gonna have to go home and “share” a roast with his family.

Pig of a man

This comment from the Gillingham forum amused me:

"Looks like Karl Robinson is giving Big Fat Steve Evans a run for his money on the gut stakes."

Tbf to KR, he still has a long way to go mind!

Is Sam Long a shoe in for player of the season, and can he now be considered the best RB in League One? I think yes.
I don’t think anyone is guaranteed player of the season yet - there’s still at least four games to go, and possibly seven! If Matty Taylor scores two goals a game and fires us into the playoffs, finishing on 30 goals for the season, would you really say he wasn’t player of the year?

I agree, at the moment Sam Long would definitely get my vote, but I think that the likes of Jack Stevens, Elliott Moore and Rob Atkinson all have the ability and credit in the bank to do amazing things in the last 4-7 games and pip him to the post...

Shame that Northampton, Rovers and the Scum look like going down they are 3 games that ensure big crowds at home and really easy to get to away

Northampton never really attracted big crowds has it? Rovers and Scum I can understand but I would rather see both of them a league below us. Looks like we will get Cheltenham and Wycombe back next year if we are still in League 1. Maybe even Forest Green rovers might go up through the play offs. So all is not lost.

Northampton never really attracted big crowds has it? Rovers and Scum I can understand but I would rather see both of them a league below us. Looks like we will get Cheltenham and Wycombe back next year if we are still in League 1. Maybe even Forest Green rovers might go up through the play offs. So all is not lost.
Forest Green ain't easy to get to from anywhere! Its in Bumpkinland

Forest Green ain't easy to get to from anywhere! Its in Bumpkinland

It'll be fine assuming there is sufficient parking when they build their unnecessary new stadium by Junction 13 on the M5 in the middle of nowhere so no public transport links. Rather destroys their green credentials considering they own the New Lawn and it is a decent little stadium. The New Lawn is easy enough to get to tbh and if you like a walk just park at the bottom of the hill and walk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom