Home Match Day Thread +++ 17/02/2018 OUFC v Plymouth Argyle match day thread +++

BeardedOUFC

We've not lost when I've made one of these, and we really need the boost. 1-0 to Oxford, Mous.

Plymouth are probably the absolute worst team we could be playing right now. They've lost ONCE in the league since we last played them (in November), and that was to Wigan. They've beaten Blackburn and Shrewsbury already in February. One of the most in-form teams in the division if not the country. Contrast that with an Oxford team that hasn't been so out of sorts since about January 2015 and I unfortunately really can't see us getting anything here. But stranger things have happened I suppose.

Picking the team is a lottery at the minute but I think we should just concentrate on keeping it tight and playing for a clean sheet - since we haven't had one since Blackpool in January. Pack the midfield, put Riccy and Henry on the wings to provide cover to the fullbacks, and stick Napa on up top to hopefully help us spring a counterattack with a bit of pace. I also wonder if we should bring back Williamson (unless he's injured?) just to provide some experience and leadership to the back line:

Eastwood
Kane (pick two from Martin/Dickie/Mousinho/Williamson) ASB
Henry Ruffels Ledson Rothwell Ricardinho
Napa

I generally try to be optimistic and positive about OUFC, but being realistic, I don't think this is the game that our fortunes will change. 0-2 Plymouth.

This is the match where the defense (and midfield) find their physical side and put a stop to anymore soft goals. If fouled, go down writhing, get the referee on our side. Protest every touch. No fancy stuff, just plain old keep 'em out. And use the wings/flanks, give Thomas a chance to score.

6f40083b13d45ef56b336684a1e05f9e.jpg
maybe ruffels for Henry for a bit more bite. Ledson to help protect the back 4. Use the pace down the lines. Balls in the box for a forward facing Thomas, and on rushing Henry and rothwell

maybe ruffels for Henry for a bit more bite. Ledson to help protect the back 4. Use the pace down the lines. Balls in the box for a forward facing Thomas, and on rushing Henry and rothwell
That could work. Needs everybody alert to defensive duties. And leave Napa up top at corners, just in case we can break. Kane and Riccy are fine with running the wings so that ought to give Thomas a chance. Ledson doing everything except getting booked to stop any incursions! High press and give them no time on the ball. (just hope they are all fit)

All good runs and bad runs come to an end. We have beaten Plymouth so why not again? Expecting a close encounter with a 2-1 to us. Going 2-0 up and conceding with twenty minutes left. Any news on Brannagan?

This has defeat all over it.

Lose and the questions won’t be on Faz and the players but on DE instead.

If sacking Pep was because promotion was looking unlikely, hiring someone to stave off relegation is the next step for our chairman.

You look at that team - particularly the midfield - and you wonder why we’re struggling. It’s apparent our problems lie at both ends of the pitch, error prone defence and not enough options up front. Maybe a sneaky win will get confidence going and things will improve..

As much as I’m frustrated with the situation - I think we really do need a new manager but Fazs comments about having all of next week to work on new formations indicate that’s not going to happen - it will be just like us to go against all expectation and pull off a big win. I’m going 3 - 0 Thomas, Henry and Dickie, and for a lie down in a dark room...

Eastwood
Kane Dickie Mous Ricardinho
Napa Ledson Mowatt Rothwell
Henry
Mehmeti

1-0, Napa. COYY

All good runs and bad runs come to an end. We have beaten Plymouth so why not again? Expecting a close encounter with a 2-1 to us. Going 2-0 up and conceding with twenty minutes left. Any news on Brannagan?
Brannagan trained with team yesterday. Probably make the bench.

Tight game, form will switch at some point. Plymouth are currently punching above where they should be in this league.
2-1 Oxford
Obika and Henry

Eastwood
Dickie Mousinho Williamson
Kane Ledson Ruffels Ricardinho
Rothwell
Henry Obika

Try something different? Kane and Ricardinho as wing backs Rothwell as a 10 and then 3 atb for Cover for Mousinho and allows him to bring the ball out the back freely.

Their biggest threats are on the wing, so would bring in Ricardinho on the right and then make sure Kane stays tight to Carey. If Ryan Taylor scores I'll be p*ssed because he's the ginger donkey.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 11.42.49.png

Our worst nightmare. Haven't seen them play, but from above they put it on the penalty spot a chaos follows.

Our already shakey defence dealing with balls into the box will be put under some serious pressure. Could be a game for Williamson to try and control the box.

View attachment 209

Our worst nightmare. Haven't seen them play, but from above they put it on the penalty spot a chaos follows.

Our already shakey defence dealing with balls into the box will be put under some serious pressure. Could be a game for Williamson to try and control the box.
With them having Ryan Taylor upfront definitely needs to be in the line up. Taylor is exactly what Mousinho and Martin struggled with, the tall hold up striker. Get Mike Williamson in there for no nonsense defending and as a centre back who can challenge for headers.

0-2. Taylor 2. Has to happen. Some very strange misplaced optimism around. Sorry.

Plymouth like Charlton are a team we have a very good recent record against.

We've only lost 2 times to Plymouth since 1995.

If we were playing them away I might give us a chance, but our home fragility coupled with their form point towards an away win, I'm afraid.

I would bring in Riccy at left back. Napa and Henry should start, I think those two coupled with Thomas can unlock defences. Subs bench for IBR.

Sadly I think ASB and IBR will start so two nil to Plymouth.

Positive, positive, positive.

2-0 yellows with Henry and a ledson penalty.

Whatever you think of our team or current state of affairs if you're going to the game get behind the team.

We need points and the team needs the support. A positive atmosphere will help the players get those points.

COYY

We must all give Faz 100% support on Saturday. He deserves it, thrown into the deep end with virtually no support from the daydreamers on the pitch. Will the "invisible man" be in attendance, or away on business? The latter, I would imagine.

Back
Top Bottom