Home Match Day Thread +++ 17/02/2018 OUFC v Plymouth Argyle match day thread +++

Annoyingly will be expecting a loss, hope I can be proven wrong though

There really is some incredible arrogance on here at times - Plymouth are punching above their weight are they ???
How often have you seen them recently ?
I have family members who follow Argyle and am dreading tomorrow just as much as I enjoyed Saturday night in Plymouth in November !!!
They are a well organised team playing good quality League One football - by contrast we are the polar opposite at present
My family members are obviously biased but I have a friend follows Shrewsbury Town and went last weekend - told me plain and clear that they were the best outfit he had seen this season and "destroyed" (his word not mine) the Shrews in every area of the pitch - he accepted 100% that the best team won and should have done so more convincingly

Ryan Taylor is a "donkey" is he - well if he is then he is still better than bloody Obika by a country mile so what does that make Obika (and the rest of our forward line for that matter) - Taylor will never be a great player but he is hard working and a team player - far more than we currently have here - I would far rather have him on our team sheet than any of our current crop up front

I really hope we can do another Charlton and turn the form book over as it will help us all get a little bit closer to safety and relaxation as well as retain my bragging rights but why diss a team who have gone from bottom to play offs like this

There really is some incredible arrogance on here at times - Plymouth are punching above their weight are they ???
How often have you seen them recently ?
I have family members who follow Argyle and am dreading tomorrow just as much as I enjoyed Saturday night in Plymouth in November !!!
They are a well organised team playing good quality League One football - by contrast we are the polar opposite at present
My family members are obviously biased but I have a friend follows Shrewsbury Town and went last weekend - told me plain and clear that they were the best outfit he had seen this season and "destroyed" (his word not mine) the Shrews in every area of the pitch - he accepted 100% that the best team won and should have done so more convincingly

Ryan Taylor is a "donkey" is he - well if he is then he is still better than bloody Obika by a country mile so what does that make Obika (and the rest of our forward line for that matter) - Taylor will never be a great player but he is hard working and a team player - far more than we currently have here - I would far rather have him on our team sheet than any of our current crop up front

I really hope we can do another Charlton and turn the form book over as it will help us all get a little bit closer to safety and relaxation as well as retain my bragging rights but why diss a team who have gone from bottom to play offs like this
Why don't you just quote me as this is clearly aimed at me, after all this is a place of discussion.

Plymouth are punching above expectations are they not? Everybody expected them to be lower mid table/relegation so from a fans perspective they are doing better then expected.

As for Taylor he maybe hardworking but he's nothing special and there is 0 way he is better then what we have now. He averages a goal every 296 minutes with 4 goals and 4 assits from 14 games in 1182 minutes league football.

Obika on the otherhand has 5 goals and 3 assists and a goal every 210 minutes from 1049 league football. 23 games played but evidently the majority of the bench.

So statically Obika is the better striker.

I am not clever enough to be able to work out how to put your direct quote in my piece but yeah fair enough i was referring to your comment and am of course happy enough to discuss - as you say that's the purpose of the forum

I am not sure they are punching above their expectations - as a club, maybe like ourselves, they tend to think they should be higher than they are so I suspect they did think they would be where they are now

They were also as a fan base seriously peed off when Curtis left them for us as they felt he was moving to a "smaller club" - to be fair, it is probably true of both clubs that we think we are better than we actually are - they also clearly have higher attendances than us

With regards to Taylor, I said myself he has limitations but he is hard working and is well liked at his current club for that reason - many here were sad when he left but conceded that it probably meant we were getting better players in to replace him - we now have Obika Thomas Mehmeti and Van Kessel - improvements seriously ?

Thomas would perhaps be if fit but the other 3 seriously ?

A year on and we’re discussing the merits of Ryan Taylor. Who was it on the old forum that used to be massively anti-Taylor? I’m sure he’ll be a pest tomorrow. Perhaps a little limited in ability for where we were hoping to go at the time, but always worked hard and gave his all.

Anyway, I would happily take a point if it was offered now. We will concede, so let’s say 2-2.

I am not clever enough to be able to work out how to put your direct quote in my piece but yeah fair enough i was referring to your comment and am of course happy enough to discuss - as you say that's the purpose of the forum.

Just press reply (bottom-right corner) on the post you want to quote.

And yeah, I would definitely prefer Taylor over Mehmeti and GvK. A fit Obika? Tough one. What’s the longest run of games Obika has been fit? Can’t be that many unfortunately. I hope we don’t take a load of punts on players with a history of injuries in the summer. It can pay dividends, sure, but as we’ve seen this season, it can also be costly.

Thanks for the help with that - I can do it next time now

Agree with the other sentiments expressed too

Yeah it has come to this that we are considering Ryan Taylor like this - it will be Macca next (to be fair another decent hard working lad who never let us down)

We must all give Faz 100% support on Saturday. He deserves it, thrown into the deep end with virtually no support from the daydreamers on the pitch. Will the "invisible man" be in attendance, or away on business? The latter, I would imagine.
If he’s not there, then he has very good reason not to be.

A fit Obika? Tough one. What’s the longest run of games Obika has been fit? Can’t be that many unfortunately.

Interesting question. Between Boxing Day (Gillingham) and two weeks ago (Charlton) looks like Obika started every match, that's nine games in all competitions, scoring three goals. Thomas also started in the first six of those games, scoring twice, then didn't play again until last week. Seems our best run of results has been when they've started together, in a 4-4-2?

Earlier in the season of course, Thomas started as lone striker to be substituted by Obika, usually.

Thanks for the help with that - I can do it next time now

Agree with the other sentiments expressed too

Yeah it has come to this that we are considering Ryan Taylor like this - it will be Macca next (to be fair another decent hard working lad who never let us down)
Let’s bloody face it, Macdonald, Hoban, Skarxz, Edwards, Matt Green would all walk into our team right now

Optimal outcome of tomorrow would be Ol' Slippery presenting Derek Adams with a wee dram, a juicy contract and a pen. Could do far worse.

Sadly I can only see another defeat tomorrow.
Our defence is a joke.
Most of the goals we concede come directly from crosses,yet
we never try to stop the crosses coming in,but prefer to try and deal
with them which isn't working.
Our full backs need to get much tighter to the opposition wide men.
Just my thoughts and I'm not a coach of coarse.

I’m getting my tin hat ready for this... I would like Faz to give Van Kessell another go. Mehmeti looks goal less whereas at least Van Kessell has got a goal threat. Thomas is hopelessly out of form and fitness

Never mind about up front...if we play well the goals (or at least chances) will come.
Tomorrow is all about the defence and whether the wing backs let the crosses come in. If they shellack our box with passes and crosses we're dead in the water.
If we keep a clean sheet it will be an absolute miracle.

Thing is though you say it’s all about defence. Will all know we’re going to concede a couple so we need players on who can score goals! We need 3 as a minimum these days!

I’m getting my tin hat ready for this... I would like Faz to give Van Kessell another go. Mehmeti looks goal less whereas at least Van Kessell has got a goal threat. Thomas is hopelessly out of form and fitness

This post just shows how much we miss Midson.

We'll beat them tomorrow, Taylor was alright, but became a scapegoat for lack of goals, I think he would be good for us now with his holding play something we lack, my understanding is we released him because of his high wages. Wonder what Peps pre-season signings wages are compared to Tayor?

Let’s bloody face it, Macdonald, Hoban, Skarxz, Edwards, Matt Green would all walk into our team right now
Ha, almost thought that you were being serious then!
Hoban who tried with what 2-3 clubs in league 2 and never scored many. Skarz who has played what 4-5 games for the worst team in our Division....

Back
Top Bottom