Home Match Day Thread 16/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Plymouth Argyle

Much better. Amazing what a balanced opinion can offer instead of condescending B*****s 👍.

Tell us, Is Robinson responsible for us not winning when taking the lead in 7 of our 16 fixtures (all comps) this season?
It's also amazing how so many demand balance but constant negativity is fine!

I said at the end of last season and at the beginning of this that I don't think we needed to be physically stronger, but mentally so. Composure in both boxes, decision making at critical times, and adapting the game to meet the situation (holding on to winning positions etc) is all part of that. And as the manager then Karl certainly does need to take responsibility. But, it's not only him as some suggest. We have senior players who need to step up. Yesterday we had Moore, Brannagan, Taylor, Henry and Long all playing. They could all justifiable wear the armband. But we were far too quiet, too nice. Some get upset when Winnall shouts, but that's what we need throughout the team and I think a number of our players need to step up to fix this.

Results like this are demoralising to be honest and show’s that when it comes down to it, we are nowhere near. Plymouth are good but I think there are better in this league.

Corners/Free kicks

Obviously we must practice but have we actually scored from one yet.

Somebody must know the stats.Henry is a poor corner taker,
We must have players capable of putting a ball into a good area or let’s please see something different

Also when the opposition have a corner they look more threatening ,again not sure of the stats but we have conceded at least three from corners/free kicks

I said at the end of last season and at the beginning of this that I don't think we needed to be physically stronger, but mentally so. Composure in both boxes, decision making at critical times, and adapting the game to meet the situation (holding on to winning positions etc) is all part of that. And as the manager then Karl certainly does need to take responsibility. But, it's not only him as some suggest. We have senior players who need to step up. Yesterday we had Moore, Brannagan, Taylor, Henry and Long all playing. They could all justifiable wear the armband. But we were far too quiet, too nice. Some get upset when Winnall shouts, but that's what we need throughout the team and I think a number of our players need to step up to fix this.

So as manager of the team, does the responsibility for losing when in winning positions, fall on Karl Robinson?

I appreciate and agree with your senior players comments. However, ultimate responsibility for conceding so many goals and defeats falls at the managers door. Its an ugly world professional football but that is the reality.

At one stage I thought Brannagan was close to being sent off yesterday, he certainly plays with a fire and passion and I would like to see a bit more of that from our defenders in particular. It’s been said by opposition teams before and I agree we are too nice
I have been privileged to watch some great centre back pairings through the years
Clarke and Roberts
Shotton and Briggs
Elliot and Gilchrist
Plus the likes of Andy Crosby,Jake Wright,Curtis Nelson and Cheyenne Dunkley all of these were not only great players but great leaders
That is woefully lacking at the back at the moment as indeed it was last season
For a side to win promotion the goals against tally must be really low,we concede far too many.
We do have a leader in our ranks and that is John Mousinnho,is it worth getting him really match fit to do a job and coach the defence through the game until the new year when top priority must be given to our defence?

If we are touch for January that's the key I sure a few will be off. I can see Dan and Sykes going . I hope Moore stays but we have got to beat Plymouth at home for me if we want to be up there. Draw Tuesday and then lose at Burton it will be interesting let's hope not let's get 6points by Saturday night 🤞

Having watched the game live and after watching the iFollow recording it became even clearer how frail how defence was yesterday. The third goal shows this in spectacular form. So many unmarked attackers that one of them just stood still to allow the ball to roll past him to the eventual scorer. Players allowed to turn inside onto their stronger foot, not tracking back on players running into the box, it goes on and on. We can play attractive football and usually do but as soon as we have conceded it's almost as if a mist descends and hoof ball becomes the norm. All Plymouth had to do was wait and counter.
And, can somebody explain why it is that if one of our forward players actually receives the ball, it bounces off them and there is nobody following to take the second ball? Plymouth managed it as other teams have but us, not in our book of tactics?
I'm not going to demand a new manager but, in all honesty, is KR struggling to get a cohesive team on the pitch? Is this going to be another season of inconsistent results? Must we wait for this mysterious run in to the end of the season for points?

Missed a home game for the first time yesterday so can't comment on the actual game.

But...... one of my issues at the moment is how often we concede within a few minutes of making a substitution

Plymouth 3 mins
Stevenage 2 mins
Sheffield Wed 3 mins
Lincoln 5 mins

There's a few more Like Burton in the cup where we bring on Mousinho in the last minutes to see the win out then he gets an own goal

Every time I see the board go up I fear the worst

Look at the options KR has in midfield. On paper it’s one of the strongest midfields in the league.
Quite frightening really! KR isn’t getting the best out of this squad I’m afraid.

We desperately need full back cover and another striker, and ship out Agyei and Winnall.

The problem is, at this moment in time, I’m not sure I’d Trust KR with a decent January transfer kitty. That needs to be earned, and so far I don’t believe he’s earned that right. Come January we could be well adrift. There’s a small gap opening already from the top 5. We won’t be going up with KR at the helm I’m afraid to say.

Corners/Free kicks

Obviously we must practice but have we actually scored from one yet.

Somebody must know the stats.Henry is a poor corner taker,
We must have players capable of putting a ball into a good area or let’s please see something different

Also when the opposition have a corner they look more threatening ,again not sure of the stats but we have conceded at least three from corners/free kicks
We seem so bereft of creativity at corners I can only think that we train on round pitches.

Anyone calling for Ryan Williams to start obviously wasn’t at the Stevenage game. He had a chance in that game but he showed no energy, no pace, no tackles, no ball control and ability to pass to a teammate. Many players were poor in that game but Williams was useless.

Winning games is not all about playing all your best players in the team from the start, it’s all about having the right balance to the team. I think to get the best out of kane, Brannagan and Henry, you need Gorrin playing and then choose 2 out of those 3 players with him. Henry Is not a right sided player, either play him in the no10 role or don’t play him, same as whyte play him on the right or not at all. What was KR thinking starting Henry on the right and whyte in the no10 role, he changed it for the 2nd half and they both looked much better.

I thought we played ok yesterday, but didn’t take our chances when we got into some good positions and our final ball was shocking most of the time. Give credit to Plymouth, well organised and clinical when they got their chances, probably the reason why they are above us in the league.

You seem to have completely forgotten Henry's two missed chances (easily as good as any of the Argyle goals) or the number of excellent balls Holland put across the six years box that no one got on the end of.
[/QUOTE]
On another day it could be the other way around.

I thought the team selection (so far as the personnel is concerned) was fine, but having Whyte play as a 10, Henry tucking in and Long so far up the pitch most of the time (Seddon was also guilty of this) meant that there was a massive hole down our right side. The early goal and our initial dominance of the ball masked that for the first 10 minutes, but after that it became obvious and KR should have moved the team into the shape that started the second half. It's fine having attacking full backs, but *not* at the expense of them having a solid defensive capability!

The less said about the finishing the better, and although I understand the sideways passing, it is very one paced and even when we are on the attack it all seems a bit pedestrian - compare with the speed and decisiveness with which Plymouth broke. We need to have players who are prepared to take a man on - the few times we actually did that we looked much more dangerous than when we were trying to play our way through at walking pace. Holland had the beating of his fullback but we stopped giving him the ball!

I am someone who thought Whyte might be Ok as a striker - but on that showing the wider we keep him the better. At least one striker needed in January - the way there was nobody there for some of those low crosses was a crime!

We are looking very much the same as last year, possible upper midtable play off place contenders but no more.

So as manager of the team, does the responsibility for losing when in winning positions, fall on Karl Robinson?

I appreciate and agree with your senior players comments. However, ultimate responsibility for conceding so many goals and defeats falls at the managers door. Its an ugly world professional football but that is the reality.
I think @Scotchegg is talking sense here. Most things are less definite and clear cut than some here portray them. The manager recruits selects and motivates the players and sets the tactics- Plymouth were getting round our full backs too easily so maybe that's at his door. But the manager can’t help it if our top scorer, who is normally a great finisher, blazes half a dozen chances wide. If Henry had scored when clean through we would have gone on to win, I’m sure.

For what its worth I think the recruitment got a little bit muddled in the summer. Robinson seemed to get a bit excited and hoovered up too many players that play in the same positions. I cant remember at what point each player was signed but I do wonder if he signed the likes of Williams and Bodin not expecting Whyte and Holland to become available, then, when they did, he just couldnt then say no. He’s now struggling to accommodate them all in the team. Also, having shelled out on them all, maybe he didnt have enough left in the pot to address the striker and fullback issues. Hopefully Im way off the mark as that would be P**s poor strategy.

He did sign Kane late on to add weight to the argument that I am talking B*****s 😁
It’s hard not to agree with you, we have a lot of good wide players sitting idle when we could do with another good striker as an option. But many here wanted Dan to be given a chance rather than replaced, and I thought we might see a different Winnall if he got fit.

I think @Scotchegg is talking sense here. Most things are less definite and clear cut than some here portray them. The manager recruits selects and motivates the players and sets the tactics- Plymouth were getting round our full backs too easily so maybe that's at his door. But the manager can’t help it if our top scorer, who is normally a great finisher, blazes half a dozen chances wide. If Henry had scored when clean through we would have gone on to win, I’m sure.

Thanks for the support! I'll send you out a Scotchegg Fan Club package, let me just get your membership no.

Ah, here it is - 001.

It’s hard not to agree with you, we have a lot of good wide players sitting idle when we could do with another good striker as an option. But many here wanted Dan to be given a chance rather than replaced, and I thought we might see a different Winnall if he got fit.
We forfeited our chance of a top six place this season when KR failed to buy a striker in the last transfer window.

Back
Top Bottom