Home Match Day Thread 16/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Plymouth Argyle

That wasn’t the game I saw.

Amazing how we all see thing differently.

Not sure how Plymouth could be cruising on the one hand and then we beat ourselves on the other.

Had chances gone in on both sides, that could have been 5-5.

Plymouth were clinical and we were not.

Until Whyte went off they were second best for that 2nd half.
Too right., 👍

That wasn’t the game I saw.

Amazing how we all see thing differently.

Not sure how Plymouth could be cruising on the one hand and then we beat ourselves on the other.

Had chances gone in on both sides, that could have been 5-5.

Plymouth were clinical and we were not.

Until Whyte went off they were second best for that 2nd half.
I think that was a reasonable substitution - wingers are often changed, Whyte had run a lot, and Sykes is a good player to bring on - but not for the first time this season we were worse after it. Not sure what’s going on there.

• React
Reactions: QR
I think that was a reasonable substitution - wingers are often changed, Whyte had run a lot, and Sykes is a good player to bring on - but not for the first time this season we were worse after it. Not sure what’s going on there.

I think KR said in his post match that Whyte was due to only get 60 mins because of his Covid.

At the time felt the substitution was odd given that we were very much in the ascendancy.

That said, I didn’t have an issue with Sykes as his replacement, but yes, it did seem to take the wind out of our sails.

I think KR said in his post match that Whyte was due to only get 60 mins because of his Covid.

At the time felt the substitution was odd given that we were very much in the ascendancy.

That said, I didn’t have an issue with Sykes as his replacement, but yes, it did seem to take the wind out of our sails.
These pre planned subs KR regularly does are bollox. Take him off if he is running out of energy or having a bad game.

Now, I know that Andy Crosby was our regular penalty taker for a time, but I’m pretty sure I once saw Matt Bound take a penalty that he hit so hard the keeper genuinely tried to get out of the way of it.

It could’ve been a dream, though. Perhaps someone else could verify.

Matt Bound’s free kick against Hull was a mean hit. Maybe what you’re thinking of? (6m13sec).

Yep fair play to Argyle. No beef with them! Great support, and done the business on the pitch.

Anyone who thinks KR will get us out of this league is deluded.

Who was the last manager who got us out of this league?

In short, I thought we were unlucky.
Better finishing in second and we would have at least drawn it.

Some crazy comments from some on this forum. We are not a hopeless or bad team after one game.

Have some perspective. They are top for a reason and only lost once this season because, at the moment, they are playing well and their confidence is sky high. I’m not sure they will be there at the end but I’m confident we will.

Go again on Tuesday, play the same way and I’m sure we will win.

For all their attacking threat I actually thought Plymouth defence was a bit dodgy and the goalie some of his kicks so I actually think that will be the difference for them either going up or staying down we was getting past the back line time after time it really could have been 3-3 4-4 if we could shoot on sight

Pleasant change to see a team come here whose first instinct is to play football rather than cheat. If we are going to lose a game I'd far rather it was against a team like them.

Seem to remember that some on here have been calling for Whyte to be up front/#10 all season, not sure why as he just seemed lost all game. Feel the game just passes Holland by at times too.

was interesting to see how much more we got into the game after Taylor started dropping deep in the second half, but of course that does mean he isn't always in the box to get on to the end of the move.

Plymouth were masters of the getting someone close enough to prevent the shot technique, which left us passing it sideways on the edge of the box ad infinitum. I do think some players do need to learn to hit the shot/cross first time (and hope for a break in the resulting chaos) rather than try to create a clearer chance ( by which time the defence has reset itself ready) and often never release the ball.

Other thoughts:-
What position(s) does bodin play as he never seems to get the nod.
I'd like to see more of Williams, who must be frustrated at leaving a regular starting position at Pompey, only to come here, see other wingers signed after him (and other players already here) starting ahead of him yet misfiring week after week.
I thought Moore was the best of our back four, handling the pacy big lad well. Rest of the back four not so well with longie uncharacteristically ponderous, particularly first half.

Last edited:
Pleasant change to see a team come here whose first instinct is to play football rather than cheat. If we are going to lose a game I'd far rather it was against a team like them.

Seem to remember that some on here have been calling for Whyte to be up front/#10 all season, not sure why as he just seemed lost all game. Feel the game just passes Holland by at times too.

was interesting to see how much more we got into the game after Taylor started dropping deep in the second half, but of course that does mean he isn't always in the box to get on to the end of the move.

I'd like to see more of Williams, who must be frustrated at leaving a regular starting position at Pompey, only to come here, see other wingers signed after him (and playing

Williams has looked the best right back we’ve had all season. He was fantastic against Charlton and topped it off with a goal - from the left side of the box. He deserves more game time. Bodin, too, as looked an interesting player in the glimpses we’ve seen, nothing particularly stand out about him but takes up some good positions and gets on the ball.

Went yesterday, really enjoyed the match and my son had a great time. The football KR plays is very good, just a bit toothless at times. I think the problem lies with decision making and end product. The penetrating through balls/dink over the top are very few and far between and the players struggle to identify when it’s best to shoot/cross. Crosses are generally very poor.

I don’t know whether this is a personnel problem or a coaching issue. Matty Taylor can certainly put the ball in the net with decent service though. They all seem to work very hard (apart from Henry, who I apologise in advance for saying this as I know he’s a club legend, but I don’t see the hype and think he should be dropped) and are doing the right things so perhaps it’ll all click.

At the moment, it’s easy for opposition to sit back and let Oxford knock it about sideways amongst themselves before a poor cross gives them the ball and they can counter. For all Oxford’s pretty football yesterday, Plymouth were clinical and deserved the win. What they did was simple and effective. Sit back, counter, score.

I'd like to see more of Williams, who must be frustrated at leaving a regular starting position at Pompey, only to come here, see other wingers signed after him (and playing
Yes, a refreshing lack of shithouseary and Taylor couldn’t draw anyone into his weekly wrestling match. I thought the ref had a good game despite the East stand being on his back.

Now, I know that Andy Crosby was our regular penalty taker for a time, but I’m pretty sure I once saw Matt Bound take a penalty that he hit so hard the keeper genuinely tried to get out of the way of it.

It could’ve been a dream, though. Perhaps someone else could verify.
Paul Moody regularly took pens that would force keepers to take self-preservation measures 😁

He
Went yesterday, really enjoyed the match and my son had a great time. The football KR plays is very good, just a bit toothless at times. I think the problem lies with decision making and end product. The penetrating through balls/dink over the top are very few and far between and the players struggle to identify when it’s best to shoot/cross. Crosses are generally very poor.

I don’t know whether this is a personnel problem or a coaching issue. Matty Taylor can certainly put the ball in the net with decent service though. They all seem to work very hard (apart from Henry, who I apologise in advance for saying this as I know he’s a club legend, but I don’t see the hype and think he should be dropped) and are doing the right things so perhaps it’ll all click.

At the moment, it’s easy for opposition to sit back and let Oxford knock it about sideways amongst themselves before a poor cross gives them the ball and they can counter. For all Oxford’s pretty football yesterday, Plymouth were clinical and deserved the win. What they did was simple and effective. Sit back, counter, score.
You seem to have completely forgotten Henry's two missed chances (easily as good as any of the Argyle goals) or the number of excellent balls Holland put across the six years box that no one got on the end of.

Williams has looked the best right back we’ve had all season. He was fantastic against Charlton and topped it off with a goal - from the left side of the box. He deserves more game time. Bodin, too, as looked an interesting player in the glimpses we’ve seen, nothing particularly stand out about him but takes up some good positions and gets on the ball.
But I don't want him labelled as a right back.

He stepped up in an emergency and put in the kind of committed professional performance in an unfamiliar position that others should learn a lot from.

BUT that doesn't mean he is now a right back and shouldn't be considered for (or drops down the pecking order for) starts in more usual positions further forward, which almost feels the case at times

How good wereTaylor’s touches and control when he dropped back to get the ball and playing a number 10ish type role! Makes me wonder what could happen if we played with a decent target man alongside him. Trouble is then we miss out on the goals like yesterday but interesting conundrum nonetheless.

Agree about Willians, every time I’ve seen him play he has taken on players beaten them and put in a good cross.
Don’t think I’ve seen Whyte do that very much
Yesterday showed the difference of being calm in the oppositions box and our own box
We gave away the first two goals through poor defensive mistakes and by shepherding the player away from goal and standing stronger this should not have happened
Their third goal was very good ,countless passes and players looking for the forward pass.
Their finishing and shots on target very composed, whereas we seemed to snatch at the ball every time we were in a shooting position
We are capable of more, look at the Accrington game similar positions but the final pass so much better

Back
Top Bottom