Home Match Day Thread 16/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Plymouth Argyle

It's not that complicated. In January, ship out Agyei and Winnall, who aren't good enough /past it respectively. Get in a really good L1 standard centre forward bully to play up with Taylor (like the Blackpool loanee from Everton) . Get in an upgrade on Gorrin to protect Kane & Brannigan (two best centre mids in L1) and we are up, possibly automatically. Otherwise top 8-10.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I had a feeling through large parts of the game, not all of it, that Plymouth could have stepped up a gear, if required.

Well, as I said before, we all see games differently.

I am probably guilty of allowing those decent spells fog my memory of other parts of the game.

We are all agreed though, we need to sort out our ineffectiveness in front of goal. Getting chances on target would be a start 😁. 14 shots and 2 on target is abysmal.

Well, as I said before, we all see games differently.

I am probably guilty of allowing those decent spells fog my memory of other parts of the game.

We are all agreed though, we need to sort out our ineffectiveness in front of goal. Getting chances on target would be a start 😁. 14 shots and 2 on target is abysmal.
Maybe we need a sports psychologist or something. We seemed to be doing everything right then blazing wide or over.

What is your requirement for offering value to a thread?

My view is that we're a good side, playing well but making mistakes in key areas. Has been fairly constant all season. Too many defensive errors, unbelievable number of missed chances.

However, we're not terrible as many were saying yesterday. Elliott Moore shouldn't be kicked out of the club as one said. James Henry shouldn't be dropped. And Karl Robinson isn't responsible for absolutely everything.

Please let me know if that meets your standards of posting?
Moore kicked out of the club, let’s put it another way, replaced with better, we need to keep improving, are you suggesting our defence is good as I think we’ve gone backwards in this department and we have to be realistic.

It's not that complicated. In January, ship out Agyei and Winnall, who aren't good enough /past it respectively. Get in a really good L1 standard centre forward bully to play up with Taylor (like the Blackpool loanee from Everton) . Get in an upgrade on Gorrin to protect Kane & Brannigan (two best centre mids in L1) and we are up, possibly automatically. Otherwise top 8-10.
Add a class centre half to that as many said we needed before the season kicked off

Moore kicked out of the club, let’s put it another way, replaced with better, we need to keep improving, are you suggesting our defence is good as I think we’ve gone backwards in this department and we have to be realistic.

I'd be very surprised if Moore's next move isn't to the Championship, seems a bit wild to suggest he gets moved on.

How about we go back to the old adage of getting a good solid spine to the team if we do have a few quid to spend in January? A good solid centreback, a strong, robust centre midfielder and a big strong centre forward. All big and ugly and none that you would want to meet down a dark alley...

How about we go back to the old adage of getting a good solid spine to the team if we do have a few quid to spend in January? A good solid centreback, a strong, robust centre midfielder and a big strong centre forward. All big and ugly and none that you would want to meet down a dark alley...
Couldn't agree more and sorry but on this season’s performance Moore is nowhere near championships standard, sorry it’s not a witch-hunt against Moore, just saying how I see it.

Burton won automatic promotion the other year with something crazy like the fifteenth best attack, because they had the absolute best defence. The worst defence you’ll find to win automatic promotion in the last 7/8 seasons is about fourth. That says a lot.

Peterborough are the best example of a good defensive record being essential. They tried to swashbuckle their way to promotion for years and only actually got out when their defence was the fourth best last season. They were the league’s top scorers in 19/20 when the season was curtailed but their defence was around tenth, which is why they didn’t have the extra point or two that would’ve stopped the Wycombe PPG nonsense, as they couldn’t close enough games without scoring multiple times themselves. They missed out on the playoffs by one point in 18/19 because despite finishing seventh they had the thirteenth best defence, while the rest of the pack were all many places higher / better. In 17/18 they were the league’s third highest scorers but finished ninth, because their defence was the fourteenth best.

Most incredibly, in 15/16 they were actually the league’s joint top scorers with 83 goals, but didn’t even finish in the top half of the table, because they had the fourth worst defensive record after conceding 73.

You’re resigned to a playoff lottery at best unless you have a top five defensive record. That’s just how it is. You might get promoted that way, of course, but we have a manager who is becoming the best at losing in that regard, so the odds aren’t exactly favourable to that being the way to go. After two clean sheets in 15 games in all competitions this season, there is a lot of work to be done. Defending better or investing in a higher calibre of defender to begin with, rather than ploughing extra cash into a sixth winger, doesn’t mean having to be negative or ultra defensive.

Keep the goals out and top two is possible. Otherwise it’s playoffs at best before a ball has been kicked.
Wow
That is some analysis but this is what I said earlier that unless you start with a sound defence you will not get automatic promotion
Now I quite like KR but let’s be honest we could put out Stevens and a team of wingers
But what we don’t have is enough quality in defence

Wow
That is some analysis but this is what I said earlier that unless you start with a sound defence you will not get automatic promotion
Now I quite like KR but let’s be honest we could put out Stevens and a team of wingers
But what we don’t have is enough quality in defence
We did, but we sold them. As we will if we get more. It's where we are. It's what we are. The question is how far can a manager take us working with the 'need to sell' restriction. I think we are starting to see how far KR can take us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom