Home Match Day Thread +++ 16/05/2010 BSCP: OUFC v York City MDT +++

Mitcham Exile

Official match day thread for the youtube streaming of the 2010 conference final: Oxford United vs York City (3pm tomorrow).

Here we can share thoughts as we watch the game. Hope we can put an end to this 4 year sojourn in the Conference and make a triumphant return to the football league.

Here's a video to get us in the mood:

I'm predicting a quick start, but a tight finish. 3-1 Oxford. COYY!

I never even noticed it was raining............................. ? ?
God only know how I got home!!
3 day hangover.
What a weekend it was.

Wembley our second home. :D:D

Thinking about this got me all emotional. My old man used to phone me during matches for a chat about events, but this game was stressful - I managed to watch it on a shitty, stuttering internet feed that was about 1min behind radox or whatever dad was watching or listening to, and he managed to ring just before something interesting happened. I remember finding it tremendously irritating, and now that he’s dead there’s nothing I would love more than an “irritating” call from him to talk about the U’s!
I’ll watch this with my boy, and with a big hole in my heart for my dad :)

I went to my first professional football match at the Manor in 1972. Seen the glory days, seen indifferent days and seen the outright crap days.

That match against York was absolutely massive for the survival of the club.

The euphoria when Alfie scored at Wembley was probably greater than any other moment of my following OUFC, (including the Milk Cup!) it was hugely significant moment in our history.

I had a lovely day at a National Trust property in Bath the day after this game.

I doubt anyone can match that for rock and roll excess.

What a day. My best mate who emigrated to New Zealand in 2008 ( a Littlemore lad, massive OUFC fan ) flew back just for this match. He spent more time in the air than he did back in the UK! We all got sozzled naturally, had a great day (we were both there in 1986) and carried on in The Green Man afterwards.

I vaguely fuzzily remember singing a stupid song I'd made up at the end and singing it to a minority of York fans at the end who were getting a bit irate.

'Que Sera Sera
Whatever will be will be
You're going to Salisbury
Que Sera Sera'

;):p:D:D

Happy 10th anniversary of the single, most important match in the club’s history, everyone.

What a conversely brilliant and nerve-shredding day it was. It was a result that allowed us to survive - and ensured we only had five years in the Conference was whereas Luton had to have a fifth. Ha.

Spare a thought for York City too. Whilst they did return to the League eventually, it was short lived and they now spend their days in the National League North. It could have been us staying down if that Michael Rankine chance gone in or Alex Lawless finished off that good move they put together in the second half ...

Back
Top Bottom