Home Match Day Thread +++ 16/03/2019 OUFC v Bradford City match day thread +++

Having two strikers on the pitch together certainly didn’t hurt in the end, eh. What a finish from Jamie Mackie, and what a time to strike a ball like that. He won’t hit another shot that sweetly in his career. Pure magic.

Coventry could be an absolute corker of a day out next weekend. Get there if you can.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh f**k! Oxford United 1 (Sykes) Bradford City 3 Att: 6876 and 344 Bantams fans.
I think this game will define our season; all mouth (Robinson) and no trousers (Whyte) We will try our damnest to break them open, but their defence will be as tight as arseholes. Sykes's goal will be the goal of the season. A dog will run onto the pitch. The wind will blow the roof off the hot dog stand outside the East Stand. Someone will go up to Tiger and pull his bow-tie off. Nelson and Ruffles will get into a fight at half-time, over who has the bigger penis. Eastwood will dislocate his little finger while tying his boot laces up. Whyte will fracture his coccyx after tripping over the ref's boot. The ref (Mr. P. Niss) will have a blinder of a game and not book anybody, but will send Robinson to the stands for having an offensive face. Robinson would rather be sent to Coventry and will apply for the manager's job. He will be politely told to 'grow up'. The scoreboard will malfunction show a film of us winning the league cup in 1986. The fans will be more interested in that, than the game. An errant owl will fly into the directors' box and attack Tiger (not his lucky day!). Two of the directors will offer to resign after the match. That just about does it for me. COYY
Now, let's see if I got this right; the ref gave us a goal........disallowed it..........the ball goes upfield and they're given a penalty.........the ref changes his mind.............disallows it..............and re-awards us a goal............this ref has definitely had a BLINDER of a game!! ??

A view from the Bradford forum

For those trying to catch up with the ref farce at the end, here’s my take.

1. City had a break, Miller squares it to LOB who puts it wide from 8 yards.
2. As LoB hits it, a challenge comes in.
3. Oxford take a quick goal kick and counter. As they’re doing this, the Lino in their half doesn’t flag.
4. They go and score.
5. The ref then gets called by the lino in the oxford half and disallows the goal, signalling a city pen, presumably for the challenge on LoB
6. After consultation with the 4th official, he reverts to his original decision.

Farcical but it wasn’t a pen and the decision was right.

We were garbage and fully deserved to lose.

Don’t think just because today we are safe lose against Coventry and we are back in the relegation fight hope we beat Coventry otherwise I can’t see it being good come may

3. Oxford take a quick goal kick and counter. As they’re doing this, the Lino in their half doesn’t flag.
4. They go and score.
5. The ref then gets called by the lino in the oxford half and disallows the goal, signalling a city pen, presumably for the challenge on LoB
6. After consultation with the 4th official, he reverts to his original decision.

Met a Bradford fan in town at the pub this evening and he also refused to cast any blame on the officials, insisting his team just weren't good enough. Seem a very decent fan base. As I said above, they deserve better.

4. They go and score.

Our finishing was pretty rubbish but with stats of 26 shots for us and 4 for them I don’t think we deserved to lose. I agree it was frustrating until Mackies moment of magic but we won, so let’s enjoy that, B*****s to anything else tonight ?

Edit: Just read it again. I’m guessing it was a Bradfordfan saying they deserved to lose. My bad, I’ve had a few.. ?

Don’t think just because today we are safe lose against Coventry and we are back in the relegation fight hope we beat Coventry otherwise I can’t see it being good come may
Win lose or draw,we will probably still need 6,9 or 8 points after the Coventry game.

Looking at a clip on Twitter, none of the Bradford players were shouting for a pen at the time. And it didn't look like they should have either. If the goal kick shouldn't have been taken why wasn't the game stoped much earlier?

The rules on the FA site do say “no opposition players should be in the box when a goal kick is taken”. But it’s the same interpretation as any free kick. If a team choose to take a free kick with players within 10 yards the game is not stopped. If they gain an advantage from doing so then it’s an offence. But they didn’t so no need for the referee to ask for the goal kick to be taken again.

It wasn’t a pen. No player appealed for one.

Could’ve been a corner. I’d like to see the highlights. But it wasn’t given at the time.

The ball was 100% not moving when it was played.

The ball cleared the area.

The opposition players in the box were not interfering with play, even the lad who was down.

Goal was given correctly.

Great strike by Mackie.

Last edited:
O'Brien apparently said after the game that his attempted shot should have been a corner in which case Brannagan, Jamie and and the ref have all just earned us two extra points, or probably three!

Last edited:
Bradford reminded me of one of Patto's teams in the Conference. Not a whole lot of fight, and a complete inability to play a pass to a teammate from more than five yards away (plus - thankfully - a complete inability to hit an open net from 8 yards out in the 93rd minute). It's hard to imagine them not being one of the four to go now.......

Would've been a horrific one to lose, given our domination, but would've been our own fault for some atrocious finishing by all our forwards. We need someone - anyone - to find their shooting boots before the end of the season, and I think we'll be OK because we're defending well at the moment and actually playing some decent stuff between the penalty areas......

4. They go and score.

Fair summary - Bradford were pitiful and thoroughly deserved to lose. Worst side i’ve seen this season
and they were poor when they beat us last November.

Never have I seen scenes like that at an Oxford game in 45 years of watching the U’s - talk about drama.

Felt pretty ill when chaos ensued and was I convinced we were going to have a deserved winner chalked off
in a must win match. Thank God the goal stood - it was some strike from Mackie on the volley.

Coventry next up - will be another cliff hanger I would think.

The rules on the FA site do say “no opposition players should be in the box when a goal kick is taken”. But it’s the same interpretation as any free kick. If a team choose to take a free kick with players within 10 yards the game is not stopped. If they gain an advantage from doing so it’s an offence.
The ball cleared the area for sure
I’m reading the rule a little differently. If an oppo player encroaches once left the penalty area then it is re taken. The issue is, the player was down and the other Bradford players took an age to leave rather than get back in position. If a player goes down injured in a box, whether legitimate or not then effectively they can stop play thus time wasting.
My take from the footage I have seen;
1. Never a penalty
2. Not a corner, player missed
3. Ball was not moving when goal kick taken, Eastwood placed it
4. Goal correct decision

O'Brien apparently said after the game that his attempted shot should have been a corner in which case Brannagan, Jamie and and the ref have all just earned us two extra points, or probably three!
Looked like a corner to me, but it was at the far end.

I’m reading the rule a little differently. If an oppo player encroaches once left the penalty area then it is re taken. The issue is, the player was down and the other Bradford players took an age to leave rather than get back in position. If a player goes down injured in a box, whether legitimate or not then effectively they can stop play thus time wasting.
My take from the footage I have seen;
1. Never a penalty
2. Not a corner, player missed
3. Ball was not moving when goal kick taken, Eastwood placed it
4. Goal correct decision
I think the issue is that Ruffels was in the box when the goal kick was taken.

Who cares, the ref gave the goal...eventually.

Fair summary - Bradford were pitiful and thoroughly deserved to lose. Worst side i’ve seen this season
and they were poor when they beat us last November.

Never have I seen scenes like that at an Oxford game in 45 years of watching the U’s - talk about drama.

Felt pretty ill when chaos ensued and was I convinced we were going to have a deserved winner chalked off
in a must win match. Thank God the goal stood - it was some strike from Mackie on the volley.

Coventry next up - will be another cliff hanger I would think.
“Never have I seen scenes like that at an Oxford game in 45 years of watching the U’s” - can’t have been at Charlton last year!

Back
Top Bottom