Home Match Day Thread 16/02/2021 Papa John's Trophy SF - OUFC v Tranmere

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the Papa John, I hope thousands of Sunderland fans have a virtual party in Trafalgar Square on the Saturday before getting dicked by Tranmere in the final.
They will probs beat Tranmere if they put their chances away unlike us.. was watching their fan TV the other day on Yt and they seemed like they really fancied the papajohns trophy especially the chance to take it off whoever wins last year's straight away... They won today but dropped out of playoffs. Let's hope they go back to inconsistency in the league.

Hate that trophy anyway with the 2 losses at wembley

They will probs beat Tranmere if they put their chances away unlike us.. was watching their fan TV the other day on Yt and they seemed like they really fancied the papajohns trophy especially the chance to take it off whoever wins last year's straight away... They won today but dropped out of playoffs. Let's hope they go back to inconsistency in the league.

Hate that trophy anyway with the 2 losses at wembley

Sunderland fan tv can’t be as bad as Arsenal tv, can it!!?!

I didn't watch the game (Jerome), but I'm quite relieved we lost. How many times do you see teams backing off in the league to avoid injury in the run up to a Wembley final. Should we have then lost the final it could have set us even further back. To use that well worn phrase, we can now 'concentrate on the league '. Obviously the prize money would have been very helpful but promotion to the Championship would be worth more.

I didn't watch the game (Jerome), but I'm quite relieved we lost. How many times do you see teams backing off in the league to avoid injury in the run up to a Wembley final. Should we have then lost the final it could have set us even further back. To use that well worn phrase, we can now 'concentrate on the league '. Obviously the prize money would have been very helpful but promotion to the Championship would be worth more.
I think that is a completely imaginery and unproven alrgument. How many examples can you provide of teams that have 'backed off on the league'? I give you Barnsley in the year they won both promotion and the EFL Trophy. Relieved we lost a game, really? Winning breeds and maintains confidence, whatever the competition. It also sustains the squad rotation system.

I think that is a completely imaginery and unproven alrgument. How many examples can you provide of teams that have 'backed off on the league'? I give you Barnsley in the year they won both promotion and the EFL Trophy. Relieved we lost a game, really? Winning breeds and maintains confidence, whatever the competition. It also sustains the squad rotation system.
1985/6 Oxford United, for one. Up to the semifinal victory, we won 3 out of 5 games in the top flight, including away to Chelsea who would have gone top had they beat us. In the run up to the final, we won 0 out of 6...

...but i do tend to agree with you that any evidence tends to be more a feeling rather than any kind of measurable decline.

Let’s hope Sunderland get that and their league form suffers..

Likewise hopefully Tuesday gives the players the kick up the a**e they may have needed and we go on one of our winning runs starting tomorrow.
seconded

Let’s hope Sunderland get that and their league form suffers..

Likewise hopefully Tuesday gives the players the kick up the a**e they may have needed and we go on one of our winning runs starting tomorrow.
And not forgetting that with Long and Atkinson at the back , Lee, Bran, McGuane , Barker , Shodioo in midfield/wing and Taylor not having too many days like Tues ( Winnall to replace if he does) then I'm not worried by tues as the team not exactly our strongest. If we get an injury to either centre back that will be a worry as Grayson looks more a holding mid .

If Long is back, I’d imagine he’d go into CB with Forde going RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom